Standard for pugs - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Standard for pugs

My little Barney is probably miles away from "standard" (espcially since he is "flaccid and droopy" as my vet so eloquently puts it
    You know, I woulda had some choice words for that vet...concerning flaccid and droopiness, but I am positive it would have gotten me thrown out of his office for life. Once again, why on earth would someone say something like this if not asked for their opinion? It just blows me away! I have never had someone walk up to me and tell me "Your husband is too short and has a gut" (He's a little person....and uh...likes sweets) So what makes them think they can say something about your dog and not be in danger of a smack down?

~Sarah

You guys crack me up! I love the pics of all your pugs and who really cares about the tongue? They are all wonderful!!!

tocents is offline Village Bug Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsmyl
    You know, I woulda had some choice words for that vet...concerning flaccid and droopiness, but I am positive it would have gotten me thrown out of his office for life. Once again, why on earth would someone say something like this if not asked for their opinion? It just blows me away! I have never had someone walk up to me and tell me "Your husband is too short and has a gut" (He's a little person....and uh...likes sweets) So what makes them think they can say something about your dog and not be in danger of a smack down?

~Sarah
    LOL, probably the only reason is that I've known this vet since I was eight years old (I'm 41 now) and I am used to him and his quirky sense of humor-he truly is very kind and a good vet-I guess he is just more casual with me than most since we go back 30 some odd years. To give you an idea, when my mom had to start giving herself injections of Humira, we were joking that she should just run to the vet and let him inject her-we repeated this little conversation to the vet and without missing a beat he said "Well, she'll have to climb up on the table".

In fairness to him, he was talking about Barney starting to show his age and that his whole body was getting "flaccid and droopy" -even his tail was drooping (well, duh, he was at the vet and not happy) I did not even bother to point out that Barney has been "flaccid and droopy" since we brought him home 2 1/2 years ago.....
    Cathy, Dino Bambino the Lawless Terrier, Laura-Lovey the Pug Diva and Sparky Boo Boo, the Pug Mutt

And playing together at The Bridge
    Bubba Chunk, Gentleman and Scholar
    Lucy the Beagledor
    Liza, the sweet little bundle of good nature
    Big Roxie
    Barney the Wonderbug
    Whompin' Stompin' Walter-A Legend in His Own Mind
    Sweet Rascal Joe

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Luvbean25 is offline Village B'Dazzlin' Show Girl

PDCA's standard reads:

"Bite -A Pug's bite should be slightly undershot

Clarification: An overbite distorts the expression and sometimes gives a lippy , weak look. Too much underbite gives the face an uptilt. a lolling or peeking tongue is evidence of malocclusion (wry mouth) and should be penalized. Ideally, evenly spaced incissors insure proper breadth of chin and muzzle; a careful look at the teeth is not important unless the expression is in question. We suggest that the bite be the last part of the table examination. It is easiest to check the bite by gently lifting the lip to the side of center-or ask the exhibitor to show the bite. Very undesirable:Teeth showing; wry mouth; lolling or peeking tongue. "

My two cents is who cares!!! As long as you have a healthy baby, and she has no medical problems from it, I don't think it matters if it is rolling, peeking or or 10' long! I think your baby is beautiful and don't listen to what anyone tells you. Even the top Ch. of the pug world have faults and I think they add to character!

Sarina
    Mommy to: Sebastian
    Pugs: Chloe, Emma, Scarlett, & Milani

"The discipline of desire is the background of character".

Quote Originally Posted by Maryjo's Gang
    People who feel the need to put down someone's pet for not being up to 'standard' or for some other reason are people who are lacking somethig in themselves...This sort of person couldn't be happy about anything.

Well said Mary Jo...

By the way, I think your puggy is just perfect, tongue and all!

Blanche is offline Village Gaia

Standards, schmandards. My Pete is a testament to horrible breeding--take every pug feature, magnify it by 10 and you got Pete. He is a target for every pug breed snob in the city. One person told me I should have had him put down.

I say--WHO CARES!! His tongue hangs out a mile, he's dentally challenged, his legs are bowed and he's a bit on the small side--oh and he's blind. BUT he is the sweetest dog in the world, is a fantastic therapy dog and is the light of my son's life. I think your little pug is charming and lovely and sweet. I think the tongue justs adds to that charm. Fie on that stinker who dissed her.

I know that Hallie is perfect and I always thought (and still do) that her long tongue was cute. But it really bothered me that someone would take the time to point out it wasn't actually correct for her breed. I got Hallie two weeks after I had my son. So they are my babies! If someone said anything as ignorat to me about my son I would feel just as mad!!!! I was only wondering if the person was correct or not. I got Hallie as a pet not a show dog. So I am not real sure what the "standards" are. Plus I do get really great kisses from all that tongue!!

lilsweetone2118 is offline Village Mayor

just curious who said that to you about Hallie?? I was searching and wondering who said it. I get so mad when some just says "they are so ugly they are cute" it just gets my blood flowing and I just smile at them even though i'm thinking i want to knock them out. pugs are the cutest dogs ever.

Quote Originally Posted by lilsweetone2118
    just curious who said that to you about Hallie?? I was searching and wondering who said it. I get so mad when some just says "they are so ugly they are cute" it just gets my blood flowing and I just smile at them even though i'm thinking i want to knock them out. pugs are the cutest dogs ever.
    A lady at Petsmart. I had taken Hallie and Micah to get some new things. I made wallets of the pic to send to family and put in my purse with my son's, hey a mom is a mom! Fur baby or bare baby! She had a beautiful black pug, but after what she said to me I wasn't about to tell her!!

I was asked to leave a pug forum one time (and I happily complied) for speaking to pug standards. People apparently thought I was calling some of their pugs ugly or inbred or something.

Anyhow, our Val must be one of the best specimens of what a pug shouldn't look like - ears like a little pit bull, colouring is all off, she's small -- I could go on and on and on. But we love her dearly, if she looked like the pug standard I wouldn't love her any more. Same goes for my other pugs, and any other non-to-standard dog. If you aren't going to show them, the breed standard means nothing!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast