Standard for pugs
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Standard for pugs

Default Standard for pugs

Someone told me that after seeing this pic Hallie's tongue was no correct for a pug. Am I wrong to be alittle P***ed?

Micah on the left and Hallie on the right.

Are you planning to show Hallie? if not, no big deal. we certainly love her, and that tongue is just as charming as can be!

bumble is offline Village Hooker

Of all the standards I ever read for pugs I don't remember them saying anything about tongues. I've seen dog shows, and I've never seen a judge whip out a ruler. If the amount (of tongue) shown indicates the amount of pug happiness Hallie is the happiest puggie ever!
    Sheila, owned by Paddy the Wonderpug

Save the planet; it's the only one with red wine, chocolate, and pugs

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

HomerNMarge is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by halliesmama
    Someone told me that after seeing this pic Hallie's tongue was no correct for a pug. Am I wrong to be alittle P***ed?

Micah on the left and Hallie on the right.

She looks like an older verson of my Marge!! Her tounge is like that too!!! I get bothered when people make comments about her "long" tounge!
    Cindy
    owned by:

"Enjoy the flavor of life, Take big bites!"

I went to AKC and read the basic pug standard and there is no mention of the tongue. I used to show shelties and when I saw a sheltie walk in to the vet, park, etc I didn't start telling them all the dogs faults, that's just rude. Ninety-nine percent of pet owners I meet aren't going to show so it would be a waste of breath and time to go over a sheltie standard, long tongue or not. Now if you asked if your pug was to standard then the first thing the person would look at is proportion. You want the dog to fit together like a well balanced puzzle, no piece should really stand out. The tongue is long but so what? It's better to lick and lavish love upon your smiling face! The pug still wouldn't get thrown out of the ring because it is not disqualifiable by the standards rules. Next time a person starts offering up criticism about your pet (especially if they start spouting standard guidelines) ask them if "Oh and why are you telling me this?" That usually puts them in their place. Now if you ask a qualified show person how your dog measures up in the ring then just grin and bear it because we show folks are truthful to the point of meaness. I have had to have my pride handed to me because I would have a puppy that I thought was quality and my mentor would explain what faults would have the dog passed over in the ring. This made for some very hard decisions on who to sale to pet homes when I had already planned the ring for a particular puppy. But I never regretted following her advice, using only the shelties that were the healthiest and closest fit to the standard insured that their offspring would live long lives and also be a beautiful representation of their breed (pet or show). I think your pet is a sweet, affectionate representation of her breed....if she is not being bred what does it matter if her tongue is too short, too long, or she has no tongue at all? I hearby give her the purple ribbon to your heart! Congrats, you just got Best in Show!

~Sarah

People who feel the need to put down someone's pet for not being up to 'standard' or for some other reason are people who are lacking somethig in themselves...This sort of person couldn't be happy about anything.

If that person has kids, would we walk up and say their 4-year-old isn't up to human 'standards? NOPE! But we'd sure like to when they say mean things about an animal we have grown to love as one of our children!

People that are mean like that should be neutered!

Boogs Dad is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Maryjo's Gang
    In Alaska, people keep a civil tongue around Maryjo, or they stay as far from the Igloo as they can get.

Todd,
    Puppys Dizzy, Corkey and Tucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogs Dad
    In Alaska, people keep a civil tongue around Maryjo, or they stay as far from the Igloo as they can get.
    I have a knife, and know how to use it!!

tocents is offline Village Bug Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Maryjo's Gang
    People who feel the need to put down someone's pet for not being up to 'standard' or for some other reason are people who are lacking somethig in themselves...This sort of person couldn't be happy about anything.

If that person has kids, would we walk up and say their 4-year-old isn't up to human 'standards? NOPE! But we'd sure like to when they say mean things about an animal we have grown to love as one of our children!

LOL, I've always said "Mean people should not breed......" My little Barney is probably miles away from "standard" (espcially since he is "flaccid and droopy" as my vet so eloquently puts it ) but considering that the only standards in my house are just to be cuddly and loving, he is Best in Show!

Barney "striking a pose"
    Cathy, Dino Bambino the Lawless Terrier, Laura-Lovey the Pug Diva and Sparky Boo Boo, the Pug Mutt

And playing together at The Bridge
    Bubba Chunk, Gentleman and Scholar
    Lucy the Beagledor
    Liza, the sweet little bundle of good nature
    Big Roxie
    Barney the Wonderbug
    Whompin' Stompin' Walter-A Legend in His Own Mind
    Sweet Rascal Joe

Awwwwwwwww...ain't he adorable??!!

Barney "striking a pose"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast