Link Reason for not use Retractable Leashes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Link Reason for not use Retractable Leashes

ChristinePugMom is offline Village Royalty

Default Link Reason for not use Retractable Leashes

I hope I can get this to work. I never was quite sure why it was not good to use a retractable leash other than it possible snapping loose. But this article says it all. I hope everyone reads this.
    https://homefureverrescue.wordpress....nvention-ever/
    Pug Auntie likes this.
    Mom to Elvis and Buddy

babyroni is offline Village Royalty

Good article, those wounds are grim.

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

do you guys have specific length leash laws? Around here they have to be on four foot leads if you're walking next to a road.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

ChristinePugMom is offline Village Royalty

None here in Louisiana, at least not in my area.
    Mom to Elvis and Buddy

AmyR is offline Village Ninja Pug

Don't think there is in the UK either. I've always disliked the retractable leads, I refused to walk my sisters dog until she agreed to let me walk him on a normal lead. Good article.
    Jacqui likes this.
    Amy
    ~ Will's mum and servant!
    And now mummy to puppy Charlie too! Who said pugs are addictive?! :)

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

I use these under certain circumstances, but use a bit of judgement. I've seen people witht them at big events with huge crowds of people and dogs. Besdies the burns one needs more control than these allow under these conditions.
    Nina_W and Jacqui like this.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

sylven is offline None

absolute rubbish, i have used them for over 20 years & never ever had any of the problems posted, ridiculous tbh

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

I am not sure if I would call it rubbish, those burns look horrible. With that being said, we do use them when we walk the dogs out in trails where we want them to explore but still be attached to us. I never use them when I am walking them both out on the street, makes it very difficult to control them.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Jacqui like this.
    Pug Mom to Roxie
    Zoey (March 27, 2005 - February 23, 2015) and Eddie (October 2, 2010 - September 10, 2019) have moved on to the bridge

Jacqui is offline Village VP

No laws here in NZ, as far as I know.

I hate those leads. A great example of why they can be dangerous in the wrong hands happened as I left the house with both boys for a walk the other day. Ziggy, the 40kg Maremma Sheepdog, is still very much a work in progress and is slowly learning lead manners. He was very excited to be going out and strained and pulled at his leash, as I gamely held on and repeated commands to wait, sit, etc. As I opened the gate, local pug owner walks past, with a black and a fawn pug, both on retractable leashes. Logie is thrilled to see them, as is Ziggy but being 'in training', struggled to control his excitement, barking and pulling at his leash. As I'm hanging on, at the top of 7 concrete steps, pug owner allows them to run up the steps/bank towards us, declaring 'a pug! How lovely' to Logie. She seemed oblivious to the giant, curiously barking and straining 'polar bear' I'm desperately trying to restrain! Does she retract the retractable leads? Not a bit, as she's focused on a meet and greet with Logie and her (gorgeous) puggies!

As I patiently explain that Ziggy needs some space to learn and focus, so we can safely leave the house, she finally twigs and pulls the pugs away. Doesn't retract the leads, by the way, just pulls them back down the slope and moves on! They then run ahead for the next adventure.

I can't see how you can safely retract those leads at speed in the event of a 'crisis' situation and too often I've seen them at full length, with owner oblivious to what their dog is up to. But then I guess it's like most things - it's the owner at fault, not the lead.
    Jacqui, mum to 3 human children and 3 furkids - Logie the pug, Luca the flat coat and Oskar the tabby cat

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

I wouldn't use one for road walking - seen two near misses where dogs have taken their owners by surprise and dashed into the road with oncoming vehicles in just the past couple of months.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast