There's always one insensitive jerk in the crowd
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There's always one insensitive jerk in the crowd

Default There's always one insensitive jerk in the crowd

We took a family outing to Seaport Village yesterday afternoon, a kind of touristy area with shops and restaurants along the water in downtown San Diego. We avoid the shops, take a nice walk, have coffee or ice cream and listen to the live music. It's one of my favorite things to do. Madelyn gets so much attention from people of all ages, and she is really good about letting people say hello and touch her.

But doesn't it figure, there's always an insensitive jerk in the crowd. This very large woman with way too much make-up on and a ridiculous hat asked me "How much does this type of dog cost?" I said "She's a rescue, I didn't pay for her." She says, "But how much would she cost?" I didn't want to be rude, so I said, "$1000-$1500." She tells her companion, "Oh, that's the type of dog my friend raises and sells for $200." Then she said to me, "I really think they're so ugly." I would have liked to clean her clock at that moment, but I had 2 kids with me and I didn't care to ruin our day, so I said very calmly, "I don't really think it's appropriate to insult someone else's dog," at which point she apologized but then added more insult by trying to explain that it's just her "personal preference" but that her companion "just LOVES these dogs." Like I give a rat's heiny about her personal preferences. As much fun as we had, that woman's stupid comments still bug me. What is the matter with people???

We continued our walk, then Madelyn flat out REFUSED to continue walking, (even though it was very nice weather and we gave her plenty of water along the way), insisting that Daddy carry her like a baby. And by now you all know that she's got him wrapped around her little paw. Here is my sweet, spoiled little furball:

Last edited by Love Madelyn; 09-05-2005 at 05:37 PM.

ViralMD is offline None

I would have said, 'Well, obviously YOUR mother was able to overlook your appearance. But I guess it takes all kinds.'
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

Lola's Mom is offline Village Royalty

What an idiot!!! Some people are just so ignorant and rude.

Now ... what a cutie your little Madelyn is. She is a very smart puggie. I had no idea she was a rescue. I must have missed something along the way. Your pictures are great!
    Kerrie, Lola and new foster failure brother Logan

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by viralmd
    I would have said, 'Well, obviously YOUR mother was able to overlook your appearance. But I guess it takes all kinds.'
    Believe me, I was on the verge of making such a comment/retort, but I really wanted to show my daughter that I could defend myself and my dog in a civil manner without sinking to that woman's level of name calling. It wasn't easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lola's Mom
    What an idiot!!! Some people are just so ignorant and rude.

Now ... what a cutie your little Madelyn is. She is a very smart puggie. I had no idea she was a rescue. I must have missed something along the way. Your pictures are great!
    Thank you! She never quite made it to a rescue organization, but was on the verge of being taken to the pound. Her previous Daddy was elderly and could no longer care for her. His daughter in law didn't want Madelyn and told a friend that if she couldn't find a home for her, she planned on taking her to the pound! That person called a friend of mine, who called me, and we raced over to that house and took her that day. It was just meant to be.

#1: there is ALWAYS someone like that in every crowd. I am glad you kept your cool!

#2: That has to be the HAPPIEST 'pug diva' picture I've ever seen!!
    You are right, she certainly has Daddy wrapped around her paw!!
    This would be a great calendar picture!!

(I gotta admit, I like looking at your hubby almost as much as I like looking at Madelyn!)

rckrmel is offline Village Rocker Mama

ya know, I've come to the conclusion that some people just have no social grace. this happened to me at Petsmart on sunday. zoe always gets lots of attention and this lady came up to us and wanted to pet her, knowing she's a pug and all and said she used to have a pug. then went on to say "they're so ugly they're cute".. and "what a big boy he is" I only said, "well, actually she's a girl and she's at the weight she's supposed to be for a pug. zoe's only 15-16 lbs!

still, instead of going off on the person, I just try to ignore it. tho, you'd think at petsmart, a dog owner would realize how important your doggie is to you and that what she said was insulting. some people will never learn

-MeL
    mommy to baby girl Zoe

www.rescuepugs.com - southern nv pug rescue
    www.myspace.com/vegasrescuepugs - SNPR on myspace

Quote Originally Posted by Maryjo's Gang
    (I gotta admit, I like looking at your hubby almost as much as I like looking at Madelyn!)
    Now that observation would totally make his day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Love Madelyn
    Now that observation would totally make his day!!!
    With some of the hotties we have here at Pugvillage (amongst men, I mean) I think we also need a Pugvillage MAN & Pug calendar too!!

Todd, Douglas, your hubby, someone's boyfriend (who had the picture of boyfriend on bed with pugs on her pillow?), Bill M., Denny's Richard, and several others... We could really enjoy that sort of calendar, too, ladies... Especially if those men were holding one of their pugs!! The best of both worlds!!

Oooh, MaryJo, I like it! And Cheri, there is always a moron in the crowd. There are people out there who have no class and even less style. It's not about you or Madelyn, it's about them, and good for you for not ripping her a new one!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast