Desensitizing to yelling?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Desensitizing to yelling?

Default Desensitizing to yelling?

Leia came to us very shy and is still terrified whenever someone yells or speaks harshly. SEPRA and we suspect she may have been abused. Now that baseball playoffs and football season are upon us, this is a very big potential problem because both Michael and I yell at the TV. Last night Leia was on the floor trembling. I felt awful. I know the easiest answer is for us not to yell, but its just not going to happen.

So what do I do with Leia? Console her? Ignore her? Put her somewhere else? Give her something else to do? Is there a way to desensitive her to yelling? Neuschler used to get kinda alarmed, now she just snores through it. Help!

tall grass pugs is online now Village Orb Weaver Advocate

Poor puggy. Maybe a nice plate of cheese morsels, be festive go for white and yellow cheese. Put Leia on a leash, beside you on a couch. Everytime someone cheers, reward her with a cheese morsel. I really think that hell has visited earth in the form of the NFL 24x7 channel, but that is another story.

ViralMD is offline None

Consoling her a LITTLE is OK - consoling too much just gives positive reinforcement for the fearful behavior. I would also give her lots of good treats during these occasions, but comforting too much will give her the idea that it's a GOOD thing to cower and tremble. A little bit is, of course, called for, but don't go overboard!
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Does she like flossies or marrow bones? My boys aren't too sensitive to yelling -- we do that a lot too around footbal season -- but I've noticed when they've got a flossy or good bone, the walls could probably fall down around them and they wouldn't blink. Also, if she thinks of her crate as her "safe place," just put the flossy in her crate during the game and hopefully she'll get a nice sense of security.

She will go in her crate, but it isn't her safe place. She loves flossies and marrow bones, but they create tension as well because she has to feel secure to eat it or else she will just let the others have it.

She is a very timid little girl. Vader and Neusch spend a lot of time licking Leia's underarms, I assume to show dominance? Neusch is definitely still alpha, which is how it should be, but I don't want a bully.

Any other hints for helping her be more secure? Its been about 9 months since she came to live with us and I so want her to know she is safe and allowed to be totally happy.

I have the same problem with my lab and we have had her since she was a pup...DH went over seas for a year and when he came home every time he raises his voice she hides!! she has never been abused either i think the noise just bothers her..So we are working on trying not to raise our voices and if she does hide we try to talk her back out and let her know she isn't in trouble..All DH has to do is yell for one of the kids to come downstairs and she runs and jumps into my bed and trys to hide under the covers!

+ Reply to Thread