Suggestions?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions?

Unhappy Suggestions?

I live in Florida and we have a tropical depression offshore right now that is causing lots of rainfall locally. Nothing serious so far but an inconveniance for my pugs and assorted other nonpugs. Most of my guys are trained to go on the newspaper if it's too wild outside but Petunia has a steel-trap bladder and bowel and will not go anywhere but outside. She is 13 years old and very set in her ways and doesn't budge, I figure with only 4 teeth left in her head she is allowed to be stubborn. The problem is she refuses to go out in the rain and I don't really know what to do. She won't go on a pad or paper and won't go outside.....she just huddles next to the door looking pathetic. At this time I have a pretty big puddle/very small pond starting to form in my backyard and don't know how I can cajole her outside...I tried an umbrella, nope.She is starting to look uncomfortable.

~Sarah

SallyAndTilly is offline Village Model's Mom & Photo Nut

Grab an umbrella, put a leash on her and go with her. I've done it more than
    once. DO NOT LAUGH!!
    once

Georgia Pug is offline Village Heart of Gold

Unhappy Poor Baby

Is there no where that is covered but open, that you
    could take her to? Otis is the same way, but we have
    a covered deck that we let him go on when the weather
    is bad.

The Georgia Pugs
    If You Can't Say Anything Nice,
    Just Don't Say Anything.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Oh that is so cute! I already tried that though, I leashed her up on her favorite harness (yes she has a variety) and put an umbrella over her and she stood stock still. So I picked her up and carried her out into the yard (which is under about 4 inches of water) and she just trembled and whined. I even tried giving her a treat and she turned away! At this time I have the TV turned off so I can hear when the storm lets up, maybe she will change her mind.

~Sarah

bumble is offline Village Hooker

The sound of running water always does it for me. Maybe have her in the kitchen when you're running a lot of water?
    Sheila, owned by Paddy the Wonderpug

Save the planet; it's the only one with red wine, chocolate, and pugs

Thank goodness it stopped pouring for a short bit! So I ran her outside and she immediately dropped trow and did her bussiness. She went right back inside and feel into a deep, happy sleep! Thanks for listening to my drama!

~Sarah

Awwww, poor little thing. During our albeit brief rainy season, this is daily trauma for Madelyn. She is not used to rain and just hates it. I pretty much have to pick her up and carry her under an umbrella and plop her under a couple of large bushes/semi trees. Do you have anything resembling a large bush or tree?

One good thing about the rain is that Madelyn does tend to go quickly so she can get back iniside. In nice weather she tends to drag out the potty drama and can be out there for 10-15 minutes while deciding where to park her jewels and spread her love.

fionasmom is offline Village Governor

You could try putting up one of those outside canopies. We use them a lot at our rescue events but they would be great for keeping the rain off of her.
    Kim
    Adoption Coordinator for Ohio Pug Rescue, Inc.
    Owned by Truman, Fiona, Onyx, Lizzi and Little Forrest!!
    Foster Mom to Georgia, Skippy, and Miss Kitty
    www.ohiopugrescue.com

I actually have one of those canopies for picnics and stuff. It was up last night but there was a puddle of water about 4 inches deep over my entire backyard (this tropical depression is really pouring the rain on). I just hope it doesn't get worse because I don't know what to do if it rains for days, which it has done before but not since I got Petunia this last year. Maybe I can pray for a drought over my yard alone, yeah right!

~Sarah

ViralMD is offline None

How about getting some wee wee pads? After Cyril was housebroken he refused to use them (even when it was horrible outside) UNTIL I soaked one in his urine and put it in a spare room off the kitchen. Now there's ALWAYS one soiled pad surrounded by about four others. The scent of his urine will help him to know that it's OK to pee there...Can you put the pads in the basement or a spare room?

By the way, the association with water running is a human attribute: we pee into water, so we associate that sound with micturition (the real name for what it's called). Dogs don't use toilets filled with water and the sound is meaningless to them.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

+ Reply to Thread