• 2 Post By Jess28
  • 3 Post By PapayaThePug
  • 1 Post By Jess28
  • 2 Post By babyroni
  • 2 Post By sassismom

Thread: Please Help! Advice Needed For Flying With My Pug Puppy

Jess28 is offline Village Puppy

Default Please Help! Advice Needed For Flying With My Pug Puppy

My pug puppy's name is Obi (like obi wan kenobi), and he is 3 months old. He weighs 5 lbs and I'm sure he is still small enough to ride in the cabin of a plane under the seat and sticking him in cargo is NOT an option for me. However, I have read that some airlines don't accept snub-nosed dogs but it only says they don't accept them in cargo. I will be flying home from Georgia to Texas and I just want some advice from anyone who has had experience flying in the cabin with their pug. I also read that dogs die mid flight because they can't get enough oxygen due to the air pressure and that the air pressure in cargo is the same as the air pressure in the cabin, is this true? Is it safe for pugs in the cabin? I'm so scared to put my baby on a plane and not have him when I get off. I read that one pug died mid flight in the cabin; she suffered from heat stroke and dehydration because the flight was delayed an hour and a half, it was warm in the cabin and they were flying in August. I seen pictures and her pug looked a little old and overweight. I will be flying with Delta Airlines next month. Any advice would great on what I could do to keep my pug puppy calm and quiet during the flight and whether or not you all think its safe enough. It's about a 3 hour flight with one stop. The first flight is 45 minutes and the second flight is 2 hours or so. Thank you so much!
    Last edited by Jess28; 11-19-2015 at 09:15 PM.
    babyroni and FellasMom like this.

PapayaThePug is offline Village Mayor

Hi and welcome to the Village. I've traveled with my pug in the cabin many times and though I was scared at first, let me assure you it's nothing to be scared of. I've gotten great advice from dogjaunt.com, it's a very informative blog about traveling with little dogs.
    My pug is 20 lbs and fits perfectly in his Large Sturdibag under the plane seat (we have been on at least 6 different types of planes). I'm sure you won't have an issue with your 5lbs Obi fitting.
    I keep him under the seat in front of me for takeoff, taxiing and landing, but I always ask the flight attendants and the people sitting next to me if it's ok if I put his carrier on my lap, I've never been told no. If no one is sitting next to me I've even been able to put his carrier next to me (I always take a little blanket with me, so I put it under the carrier).
    Also, I make sure to let the person sitting in front of me know that there's a dog traveling under his/her sit, so in case they feel something moving by their feet, they won't be startled and maybe kick him.
    Your dog might make little noises (like mine does) when taking off and landing, the pressure change bothers their ears, just as much as it bothers ours, so make sure you have a treat handy, that way Obi swallows something and his ears pop.
    I also carry with me a battery operated fan, in case the flight gets delayed and we sit in the Tarmac for a long period of time, I put it between my feet and Papaya has never overheated. When he is on my lap I just hold it in my hand by one of the mesh panels in his carrier, it can get uncomfortably warm in a plane with 200 people! Also, when drinks are served, ask the flight attendant for a cup with ice cubes, give your pug some during the flight, to keep him hydrated.
    So if you are allowed to keep the carrier on your lap, keep a hand inside of it to calm your puppy down, I'm 99% positive he will fall asleep, something about the motors noise, mine sleeps all the time, even on a 7 hour flight!
    I don't medicate my pug, I don't do it because I want him alert and 100% "functional", if his breathing is going to be affected by heat or stress, I won't make it worst with sedatives. Treats and petting him, have worked for us. Try not to be nervous, they can sense your energy and that will only make Obi stressed.
    If your layover is long enough, search the Pet relief areas at the airport you are landing, they are usually outside security. Dallas/Forth Worth has one inside security on Terminal D. Just make sure you have enough time to go out and then again back through security. If your layover is not long enough (at least 2 hours) take with you a pee pee pad and take your pug to a bathroom stall with you, specially since he is a puppy and might not be able to hold it for too long.
    Mmm that's all I can think of right now, but if you have more doubts let me know. You'll be fine, your puppy will be fine too. It will be a great adventure, you'll see. Good luck!
    Papaya & Kiwi's Mom

"If it's not a pug, it's just a dog"

Thank you so much! And actually DFW is our destination :) I didn't know they had a potty area for dogs. We will be stopping in Atlanta though so for about an hour or so I will definitely take him to the ladies bathroom. Luckily I taught him to go on puppy pads when he can't hold it inside the house so I shouldn't have a problem. Any ideas where I can get a little battery powered fan? Also, would the airlines let me past security with his treats? Thank you so much for the advice again!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Pug Mom Claire and babyroni like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Obi is gorgeous! We'll need to see lots of photos of this precious Puggie.
    babyroni and Jess28 like this.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

Thank you, he is too adorable. The day I met him I couldn't put him down, I had to bring him home. He's a mixed puppy; his daddy is a pug and his mommy is a boston terrier. My husband and I spoil him but not too much so he doesn't get away with bad puppy behavior. Let's just say it's going to be quite a journey but we're going to enjoy every minute with him.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and babyroni like this.

PapayaThePug is offline Village Mayor

He is a very handsome boy. I got a battery operated fan from Walmart (O2 Cool 5" Portable Battery Operated Desk Fan - Walmart.com). It's not so little, but it folds so it's not that bulky. It fits on my little backpack with my iPad, Papaya's blanket, treats, papers, etc etc. It uses "bigger" batteries, which give me peace of mind specially on long flights. I've never had an issue with security, I keep a few treats in my pockets to pass security too. Oh by the way, when passing security you'll have to remove him from his carrier and pass with him through the metal detector ( so no collar with tags or leash, unless they are plastic). TSA will then swipe your hands, while you hold Obi, with little clothes to check for explosives, so make sure you don't put lotion, or use baby wipes before this as some ingredients of these products might be confused for explosives ingredients. I saw it happen once with a lady carrying a baby, she said all she had touched was the baby wipes. Have a safe trip!
    Papaya & Kiwi's Mom

"If it's not a pug, it's just a dog"

Okay thanks! I'll keep everything in mind :)
    babyroni likes this.

babyroni is offline Village Royalty

Sounds like Obi is in good hands, so enjoy your trip! Papaya's mom has excellent advice!! Obi is sooo cute!!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Jess28 like this.

sassismom is offline Village Original Southern Dame

No travel advice but I must say he has the cutest "eyebrows" will enjoy watching him grow and seeing more pics he has stolen my heart!
    Jess28 and FellasMom like this.
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow My Sweet Babies until we meet again at the Bridge Sassi (1998 - 2011) Angus (2005 - 2017) Meelah (2005 - 2018) Sissi (2011 - 2019) Cecil (2018 - 2020)

+ Reply to Thread