• 6 Post By erijdavi
  • 2 Post By Angel89411
  • 1 Post By pugaddiction
  • 1 Post By Wonka & Nilla
  • 2 Post By erijdavi

Thread: That Sniffer Though

erijdavi is offline Village Puppy

Default That Sniffer Though

So I feel pretty accomplished with the direction of training I've presented to Luna. I noticed her taking quite the development with her nose whenever we play hide and seek. She was great at finding me when we went to a place where my scent was new. Well I have a zoo at my house of about 20 or so pets, most being rodents and reptiles. Sometimes they like to get loose.

Back at my old house, Luna was taught to chase the mice so we could catch them, or to show where they went. I've since transferred that to my rats, though had to teach the "be gentle" tactic since I didn't want her to hurt anything. It so far has seemed to work. My pregnant rat Cookie got out and luckily Luna found her hours before she gave birth. And then she found one of the young rats when they got out.

We've been practicing with objects as well. For example, she has a red ball and a blue ball. I'll hide them and tell her which ball to bring me which she has figured out how to do and will sniff out each ball. It takes some explaining, but she's getting faster at it. I'm hoping to teach her the reptile scents as well in case they ever get out.

And people say pugs don't have good noses, psh, Luna will show them.

Angel89411 is offline Village Admiral

My pug has an excellent nose. Especially if it smells yummy. Sounds like Luna is doing fabulous!
    ODemPugz and babyroni like this.
    Momma to a zoo. We have a total of 3 dogs, 1 service dog in training, 2 cats, and 2 human children. It's one crazy life.

The key to life is "family and friends. And a good pet. For pure loyalty there is nothing like a pug." - Robin Williams

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

Wow, great job. Not sure I would like having rats in my house though.
    Eddie has a fantastic nose, he always knows when the cats been in the litter box. He can be sound asleep under the blankets, but when kitty drops an almond roca he is up and down the stairs to find it. Blech.
    babyroni likes this.
    Pug Mom to Chester
    Zoey, Eddie and Roxie have moved on to the bridge

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Well done! It sounds like Luna is one smart puggie! Perhaps she has a future in nose-work or search and rescue?
    babyroni likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

erijdavi is offline Village Puppy

Probably no work in her future quite yet. We're still working with her anxiety problems. She still doesn't tolerate anyone going near her. She definitely enjoys all the praise for her sniffing efforts.
    Angel89411 and babyroni like this.

sassismom is offline Village Original Southern Dame

She is very smart, Meelah still doesn't like some things and can't stand Allen Jackson music even if it is on the instrumental channel! She has adapted over the years and I think Luna will as well once she establishes her place.
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow My Sweet Babies until we meet again at the Bridge Sassi (1998 - 2011) Angus (2005 - 2017) Meelah (2005 - 2018) Sissi (2011 - 2019) Cecil (2018 - 2020)

ODemPugz is offline Village VP

Cool!

+ Reply to Thread