Oh, Lola! Dealing with aggro... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Oh, Lola! Dealing with aggro...

Loconn55 is offline Village Royalty

It wasn't just Nilla that needed to learn and be trained, but WE (humans) had to learn so much as well... about managing Nilla's environment, keeping her under-threshold, baby-steps for training, etc. But, over time, with tons of training, patience and love Nilla has blossomed into a spunky, generally happy dog.
    Beautiful, and very relevant to Lola and me. I remember you mentioning this in an older post some months (years?) back, and what a roller-coaster it was for you to try to get to know and understand her. All respect to have come so far!

I too have to learn to understand and respect Lola's needs -- and even her "otherness" -- to help her with her fear/reactive behaviors (thanks to Nina, I'm not calling it aggro anymore!), and I have to stop expecting her to cuddle with the pugs. She's friendly with them and actually likes Sister, so that's more than enough. Just like people, we have to meet some of them more than halfway - -especially because we're responsible for them.

Thanks for the reminder, Amy, and thanks for the advice, everybody! I am going to have Ed hang with her, TG -- he just had cataract surgery on one eye, is doing great, but has another one coming up mid-month, so she can be daddy's girl for a few hours a day when he's resting, and maybe sleep with him too.

When she first came, so as not to overwhelm her (or crowd us), I tried starting her off at night in a dog bed next to the bed,but woke up with her in bed with us time after time. I think it helps her bonding, maybe?
    Last edited by Loconn55; 12-03-2015 at 10:15 PM.
    See Lisa's (6 Beautiful Pugs) 'wishlist' for her grumble at the Rusty Pug Retirement Ranch and help them out at:http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi...ref=cm_sw_su_w

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Quote Originally Posted by Loconn55 View Post

When she first came, so as not to overwhelm her (or crowd us), I tried starting her off at night in a dog bed next to the bed,but woke up with her in bed with us time after time. I think it helps her bonding, maybe?
    I've always thought so, but the jury is out in terms of studies. There's a lot of nonsense about submission and pack status that you can safely and confidently ignore, but the better studies focus on the effects of the human, not the human-dog relationship, so I have nothing to back up my gut feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonka & Nilla View Post
    Miss Nilla is our "problem child." We promised her when she joined our family that she would be staying with us, no more moving on to new homes, this was her forever home. She had already been bounced from home to home and had significant fear-aggression issues. I will honestly admit that, especially during that first year, there were times that I regretted adopting Nilla. ... But, over time, with tons of training, patience and love Nilla has blossomed into a spunky, generally happy dog.
    This. This is wonderful. Heartbreaking and amazing and humbling and wonderful. Thank you for taking her in and working with her to get to this point. It is incredible dedication. Thank you.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12