How did your pug respond to you adopting a second dog?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: How did your pug respond to you adopting a second dog?

MitMcl is offline New to the Village

Default How did your pug respond to you adopting a second dog?

So I'm thinking about getting a second dog in the near future but am a bit concerned about how my current dog will handle it. I currently own a 2 year old Pug/Puggle mix (3/4 Pug, 1/4 Beagle). He gets along well with other dogs, though can be a bit defensive about his toys and treats. He gets along okay with cats, though tends to get very jealous of them. For example, he won't allow my parent's cat to sit on my lap. He isn't like this with dogs though, as my girlfriend owns a Beagle and he isn't too bothered by me giving her attention, though they will fight over toys and treats from time to time.

Anyways, I'm interested to hear other Pug owners' experiences with adopting a second dog. My main concern is that I adopt a second dog and they become aggressive towards one another.

I was also thinking that my dog might be more accepting of a puppy as opposed to an older dog, as maybe he would care for it and treat it like his own. If I do adopt, I will not be getting a large breed dog.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Personally I'd say that you need to sort out the guarding of toys and food first if you're hoping for a peaceful equilibrium to exist with another dog.

There's no guarantee that a two year old adult will take to a puppy, they're a pesky nuisance and you'll need to ensure that your existing dog either has places he can jump up onto out of reach of the puppy or a babygate to separate them when he's had enough. In some ways it's easier to integrate an older dog since you've already got some idea of their character and can have a play date to see if they're likely to get along with each other or not. A rescue dog has much to recommend it!

MitMcl is offline New to the Village

My current dog gets along well with older dogs, but he has a lot of energy and most older dogs usually find him to be a nuisance. I find he tends to get along better with younger dogs who will play with him. I won't be adopting any dog without my current dog actually meeting them first to make sure they're compatible. My current dog is actually a rescue so I will strongly consider getting another rescue dog if I can.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

SiriusPug is offline Village Admiral

Sirius was weary of Walter at first, we had an issue with another dog that we had tried to adopt, but was too much for us to handle. Walter is 9 and Sirius is 2 so they don't "play" together, but they do snuggle together. Walter is protective of Sirius and worries himself when they're apart, especially during potty time. Other than that, no real big issue between the two. Walter is definitely the dominate one and Sirius is very submissive so they get along great.

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Lily spoke my mind exactly.

JustChuck is offline Village Senator

It depends so much on the personality of the dog. Murphy was 2 1/2 years old when Sparky joined the family as a 9 week old puppy. Murphy is a very gentle and easygoing dog, and had no problem whatsoever. I don't know if Sparky would be as accepting if I were to get another puppy -- Sparky is much more high-strung than Murphy.

Our one experience with trying to take in an adult rescue pug did not go well. They all got along fine when meeting on neutral ground, but Sparky turned into a complete tyrant when the new dog came home with us. We had to give him back.
    Former dad to Murphy and Sparky

sassismom is offline Village Original Southern Dame

All of mine have come in at different times, I rescued Meelah when Sassi was 7 they had some discussions over who was boss then settled into loving sisters, the following December Angus joined us also a rescue he was around 2 they do fine together, oh there are times when all *#&^ breaks loose not sure what triggers it usually Meelah starts something. Sissi came in 2 years or so ago she has only the one eye is very sweet and only ever starts trouble trying to eat Angus food after sucking hers down! Pugs seem to get on well together for the most part then as above some just don't want to have siblings!

Good luck!
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow My Sweet Babies until we meet again at the Bridge Sassi (1998 - 2011) Angus (2005 - 2017) Meelah (2005 - 2018) Sissi (2011 - 2019) Cecil (2018 - 2020)

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

One meeting is no guarantee that the dogs will get on long term. All it will really do, in my humble opinion, is ensure that there is no immediate antipathy, So whilst a meeting is of huge value, it is not an acid test.

I got Toddy as a pup when Snifter was 3. Snifter was not thrilled but was nice to the puppy for two weeks until he realised that the "visitor" was never going home. Then Snifter sank into a deep gloom which lasted for months. He was not horrid to the puppy, he just wanted nothing to do with him. Every time Toddy came to snuggle up Snifter would vacate the bed.

Eventually Snifter came round (sort of) and although I know he would possibly be happier as an only dog he does play and snuggle with Toddy to a certain extent. I can't 100% blame Snifter because Toddy as a puppy was a pain in the backside, and as an adult is a bossy and rather highly strung little chap who rules the roost and considers Snifter to be his serf.

It works because I have made it work. They have their own separate time and are still walked separately to this day, mostly, because walks are an aggression flashpoint.

Whatever you do, never get a second dog solely because you want the first one to have a companion. Get two because YOU want two and be prepared to have some issues to work through. By and large you probably won't have a serious problem but there will be some management of the relationship necessary unless you are incredibly lucky.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Angel89411 is offline Village Admiral

I foster and Clove reacts to each dog differently. She really does not tolerate my SILs dog well and we have to carefully monitor when they are together. She mostly tolerates my youngest son's dog and they often play together. She's met dogs she wouldn't let near her and dogs she was instant friends with. It depends on so much. But if your dog already has possession or food guarding issues, you really need to sort that out first or you are in for a world of trouble.
    Momma to a zoo. We have a total of 3 dogs, 1 service dog in training, 2 cats, and 2 human children. It's one crazy life.

The key to life is "family and friends. And a good pet. For pure loyalty there is nothing like a pug." - Robin Williams

beenpugged is offline Village Mayor

About toys and food it should be separate each has his own bed and toys and food also treats
    you can also let them meet before adopting to make sure they are not very aggressive toward each other ...

Goodluck

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast