• 2 Post By puglover18
  • 1 Post By sassismom
  • 1 Post By SiriusPug
  • 2 Post By Nina_W

Thread: Furminator

ThePugMalcolm is offline New to the Village

Default Furminator

Hey guys

Pug Mummy in the UK was wondering if anyone had used a Furminator before on their crazy hair shedding Pug babies? A fellow Pug owner had also suggested 'Blasting' at the groomers?

Malcolm is 9 months and this is his first real moult. I wasn't prepared and my Dyson Animal and I would be eternally grateful for advice.

About to purchase new carpet, my Partner thinks I'm joking when I say I'm taking Malcolm when I choose one to match the carpet to his hair colour!!!

Thanks 
    Rugbysmom and babyroni like this.

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Hi!

I guess I must be very fortunate in that my 1 year old Xanthe who is a fawn, only has a single coat so I'd doubt that will change now. So I don't get much shedding from her at all really :). All I have to do is play a game ruffling her fur up outside and the shed fur floats away in the wind lol!

I've not tried a Furminator (use a coat king on my cocker spaniel) but it does have excellent reviews for medium to long coated breeds, so I guess you'd just have to try it and see.

We want to see before and after photos though! :)
    babyroni likes this.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

I use the equivalent of a furminator and it pulls out unbelievable amounts of hair. It is definitely worthwhile during the major coat blow season. However, it can be harsh unless you use it gently. I use it once every couple of days in the shedding season. Otherwise I find a zoom groom gentler and better.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

puglover18 is offline Village VP

I agree with the other post, it can be harsh, it's metal. A friend of mine used it for her pug and the skin beneath became extremely red and inflamed. It's easy to become overly aggressive with it as the fur does fly and you will see results, but it's not worth the possible injury. My suggestion and what I use is a rubber nubbed one and I tell that to the groomer as well when we go.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and babyroni like this.
    Mommy to Milo ~ Apriil 1, 1997 - August 26, 2013 ~
    ~Always in our Hearts ~ Never Forgotten ~
    Mommy to Zuko born on November 9, 2013

sassismom is offline Village Original Southern Dame

I was looking at one at PetSmart they are metal but what I liked was the little push button making getting the fur out easier than pulling it. Comes with attachments they have a special color for $49. Sissi sheds so bad I am thinking of getting on if they stay on special long enough! You would just have to use a gentle hand!
    babyroni likes this.
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow My Sweet Babies until we meet again at the Bridge Sassi (1998 - 2011) Angus (2005 - 2017) Meelah (2005 - 2018) Sissi (2011 - 2019) Cecil (2018 - 2020)

SiriusPug is offline Village Admiral

I have one, I don't care for it and the boys don't seem to like it. Anymore I just use a slicker brush gently on them.
    babyroni likes this.

Metal_Monkey is offline Village Mayor

Furminator can be a great aid if used properly. You need to apply only light pressure in order not to damage or irritate the skin, and not more than twice a week.

adina is offline New to the Village

We talked to a professional groomer and perennial dog shower and he said that the Furminator can be very harsh and can irritate your dog's skin. It may take the fur out, but at what cost?

Metal_Monkey is offline Village Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by adina View Post
    We talked to a professional groomer and perennial dog shower and he said that the Furminator can be very harsh and can irritate your dog's skin. It may take the fur out, but at what cost?
    I agree. Any grooming tool can be too harsh if applied unprofessionally or too hard. So, if you are not skilled at grooming or apply too much pressure, you could not only irritate but also damage the sensitive pug's skin.

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

'blasting' is using air to get loose coat out. Works wonderfully, just make sure they use cool air (not hot). But the fur just comes back. I find brushing every day, with a normal pin brush, or boar bristle brush, gets out a lot of hair, and helps keep it out of the house a bit more. That said, well, it's still everywhere. Pugs are amazing dogs, but boy do they shed!

+ Reply to Thread