• 2 Post By SiriusPug
  • 1 Post By pugaddiction
  • 1 Post By JustChuck
  • 2 Post By Tygermoth

Thread: When your not at home?

milo baby is offline Village Puppy

Default When your not at home?

hi everyone,

I have a 5 month old male fawn pug named milo. My questions and concerns are about how to keep him happy and healthy while I'm at work.
    As of now I go home everyday at lunch time and let him out to pee and everything but I can't do this forever. Will he be able to hold it during the day eventually, when he's older? For how long? What does everyone do while they are at work? Should I set him up with a place he can go while I'm not there if need be? Also when your gone do you let your pugs free roam when they are older or crated? Thanks looking forward to some advice!

ChristinePugMom is offline Village Royalty

When I was working, my two were able to go about 7 -8 hours, but I really made sure I didn't go past that. When Elvis was young he was crated, but by a year old we were able to let him run free. Buddy D is a marker so I used a baby gate to keep him in the laundry room where he never had an accident.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Mom to Elvis and Buddy

SiriusPug is offline Village Admiral

Sirius was like that when he was little. About 8 months to a year old he started to be able to hold it throughout the night. He's 3 now and he can easily go 8 hours without peeing, but first thing when we get up he needs to go; now I do have a piddle mat thing for just him, mostly for winter, but have used it when I' going to be gone for a long time. Walter, for an old guy, seems to be able to hold his pee no problem. The only problem is pooping here, Walter has fecal incontinence to that's more of a scheduling challenge, but manageable.

Mine both roam the house when I leave. I leave the tv on low & at least one light on. The tv is more for Sirius since Walter's deaf. Walter will be in his bed asleep until I get home and Sirius sleeps on the couch.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and CSollers like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

Mine are left crated when we are not home. They love their crates and will go and nap in them when we are home. The longest they are left in their crates is about 7 hours. We have a marker here so leaving them out did not work. Mine are older 9 and 11 so they can hold their pee for a very long time. Longest has been 10 hours, but that is too long. As he gets older he will be able to hold it for a longer time. I personally suggest a crate while you are out while he is young. Keeps them safe and helps with the potty training. Most will not soil their beds.
    Pug Mom to Roxie
    Zoey (March 27, 2005 - February 23, 2015) and Eddie (October 2, 2010 - September 10, 2019) have moved on to the bridge

JustChuck is offline Village Senator

I use gates to confine them to one room where they can get up on the back of the couch and see outside. They are perfectly content there while I'm at work. Occasionally I have a long day when they might be home alone for over 10 hours, and neither of them have ever had an accident, nor do they get up to any mischief. I don't like to leave them that long and if I know it's a long day for me I'll try to come home at lunch time, but that's not always possible.
    Former dad to Murphy and Sparky

Tygermoth is offline Village Senator

Barry free roams, we try not to have him left longer than 5 hours (used to be three - work hours change) hes not had a pee in the house since he was 13 weeks or so.

So hes not bored he also goes to day care two days a week, gets to be stimulated and play with other dogs. he loves it
    Samantha and Lord Barrington Smythe (Barry the Pug)

Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally... :D

milo baby is offline Village Puppy

Thanks for the replies. Right now lil Milo is crated when I'm not home. He seem to have a pretty strong bladder and doesn't have to go too often. It will be interesting to see how he is when he's older.

+ Reply to Thread