Pug shedding question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Pug shedding question

nir
    nir is offline Village Puppy

Default Pug shedding question

So I am still researching on what dog breed I will get and although pug seems like a great fit, I am a bit scared about the shedding.

Question is , if I put on a little t shirt for my pug everyday, wouldn't that control the shedding in a way? Preventing the hair from falling and instead would probably be contained within the shirt? I guess it won't contain everything but just the part that the t shirt is worn . This along with combing his hair everyday or every other day should help drastically right?

Also I am a light sleeper. Would a pugs snoring be a problem?

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Pugs shed. The t-shirt might contain some of the shedding, but it will also put your pug at risk of overheating, and your dog might not much like clothing, so it's not a reliable option. Also, they shed a LOT of hair from their neck and their back legs, so no, it will catch some hair (until you take it off), but not all. Not even most. All dogs shed, though - if you can't tolerate hair around you at all a dog is not a good choice.

Brushing them daily helps, and feeding raw helps. But they shed.

They really do shed. There's pug hair on my keyboard. The pug is worth the hair, for me, bluntly, I don't notice it any more. But this is not true for everyone.

Snoring. My pug doesn't snore much, at all. My pomeranian snores as much. My in-laws' pittie really, really snores. Many pugs do snore, though. Most pug owners find the sound soothing, and not disruptive. All dogs snore, from time to time. If you absolutely want no snoring, you can have your dog sleep elsewhere. All dogs will snore at some point, so if you absolutely must have no noise at all at night, a dog isn't the right choice for you.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm a light sleeper too and I feel very reassured and comfortable with my puggy in my bed. Even when she snores :)

Ron
    Ron is offline Village Mayor

Yes, indeed, they do shed, so if dog hair all over your house and clothes will be a major issue for you, then my advice is please do not get a Pug. i think you would risk becoming unhappy with your choice which would then not be good for you or your Pug.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

freak is offline Village Royalty

yeah pugs and shedding go hand and hand. but there worth it :)

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

What Nina said. T-shirts do nothing of any note to contain the hairs.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

milo baby is offline Village Puppy

Oh yea pugs do shed A lot! But my pug is worth it so it's really not that bad. I just keep lint rollers everywhere and be sure not to drop my clothes on the floor or bed (they will get caked in fur) and I avoid buying black fleece or dark sweater material clothes because fawn pug hair shows up on it. I opt for lighter colours and fabrics that are lint roller friendly. I also have light colour bedding so you can't see it. It doesn't bother me it's just a little getting used to. Some days you look at your clothes and you're like oh yes a pug lives here for sure!

The snoring doesn't bother me at all! I find it relaxing and lets me know my little guy is safe and sleeping !
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and enferciel like this.

ChristinePugMom is offline Village Royalty

This may be wrong but I tell anyone who is going to visit DO NOT wear black or dark clothing. You will get dog hair on you, one of mine is a double coat and he sheds alot more than the single. But my dogs comes first, if you don't like dogs or dog hair than don't visit.

So as others said if you think you can not tolerate the hair a pug for sure is not for you. What you may want to do is research for a dog that does not shed or has little shedding
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and CSollers like this.
    Mom to Elvis and Buddy

sassismom is offline Village Original Southern Dame

Pugs shed! Mine have never been to my work place and there is Pug fur on my chair! Mine sleep with me, I probably snore more than them but as mentioned it is soothing! I use a shedding blade but that lasts about 20 minutes! On the forum page is a quiz that will give you lot's of key information and see if you really want to be a Pug slave! They are a wonderful companion IF you don't want to be alone for the next 16 or so years!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and enferciel like this.
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow My Sweet Babies until we meet again at the Bridge Sassi (1998 - 2011) Angus (2005 - 2017) Meelah (2005 - 2018) Sissi (2011 - 2019) Cecil (2018 - 2020)

JustChuck is offline Village Senator

I have two pugs. Murphy, the fawn with double coat, sheds a LOT. Sparky the black sheds very little. I don't know if this is common with all black pugs or not, but it might be worth investigating. Neither if them snore noticeably. My first pug, Clancy, snored very loudly, but like others here, I found it quite comforting. As I said, neither of my two now snore, so it's not like it's a certainty with pugs.
    Good luck.
    enferciel likes this.
    Former dad to Murphy and Sparky

grad_girl_1 is offline Village Puppy

Default My fawn pug does not shed that much

I wouldn't get a pug if you intend to have them wear a t-shirt all the time. That's unnatural for dogs, and I don't think would be fair to them. If you really prefer no shedding, consider a breed such as a Coton de Tulear, or some type of poodle mix, etc.

That said, my fawn pug does not shed a whole lot. We feed him a grain free diet, and we use a natural shampoo that is free of SLS and other chemicals. We brush him just once a week. Combined, these things have led to very little shedding. I'm not certain how much of this is genetic. If you choose to go this path, consider the cost of the food and shampoo, as they are higher than ones that contain grain and chemicals.

His shedding tends to be seasonal, mostly when we change from winter to spring (we live in Minnesota, so this is a big change in temps).
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast