• 5 Post By Snifter
  • 2 Post By Rugbysmom
  • 2 Post By JustChuck
  • 2 Post By freak
  • 1 Post By LilyFayre

Thread: High Energy 24/7

Noella is offline Village Puppy

Default High Energy 24/7

So, little George is now just over 1 year and 2 months. He is super high energy still. Hasn't slowed down much. But is better with listening... sometimes.

I need some advice on how to train him to be more calm.

We already have a dog walker who runs with him and spend at least an hour with him a day. We also take him to the dog park on the weekends so he can run around and play with other dogs. We train him as well during our walks or before meals.

We've taught him to sit, lie down, lie on his side, high five, shake paw, touch, leave it, drop it (never wants to drop it even though he knows the command), heel (poorly because he's interested in everything)

But he just never stops wanting to play. If there is something that interests him, he will want to play with it even if he's tired. For example, we went away for the weekend and left him with our dog walker for boarding. He got to run around and play with a few other dogs for 2 days. Even my dog walker said that he hardly stopped the entire time he was there. And if he was human, he might say little George has ADHD. LOL!

But seriously though. I'm afraid that he doesn't know when to stop. And he'll keep playing hard until he has no energy left. I don't want him to have health problems as he gets older.

How can I train him that being calm is more desirable.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Each Pug has their own personality. I think that you're being a bit optimistic about your baby slowing down already. He's still a pup. I wouldn't look for him to chill until he's at least 2 years old. Some stay energetic through their adult lives. If this is the case with your baby, agility training is a great way exercise his body and mind.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Chris above has it exactly right. Some pugs (many pugs) are calm companions. Some pugs just are not. Occupy his mind, would be my recommendation. Feed from a puzzle toy, include small training sessions every day (hey, everyone needs a dog who can skateboard, right? Or maybe cute tricks are the way to go? Dog that can play patty-cake?). If his heelwork is not great, step up your training - if he's interested in everything else, you must either be MUCH more interesting yourself (better treats?) or the area you're teaching him to heel in must be much less interesting.

Clicker training is brilliant. Teaching them to focus by teaching them to look at you helps a lot!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Chris and Nina have said pretty much all I was going to say. Our own trainer always said "If you want a fit dog, exercise it. If you want a tired dog, train it." The mental processes they use in training tire them out much more than physical activity alone.

My Snifter has always been a pretty calm type, but Toddy was hyper and into everything. He gradually calmed down from age 3 - but not a lot, and we called him "the perpetual puppy".

If you are worried by over-stimulation at a time when you know he is tired and needs a rest then consider having a quiet place for him to snooze, away from any regular hustle and bustle. Does he have a crate?

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

As he matures, he will probably slow down some, or maybe a lot, but I doubt you'd even notice until he's at least 18 months old or so. I agree with all above, & just keep training--it sure couldn't hurt anything! As he settles down a bit, he'll start to listen better, too.......seems like all my girls went through a stage where they seemed to think they didn't have to listen or behave, but then when they became more mature, they remembered what they had been taught. He might even slow down to the point where you will miss his crazy puppy days, so enjoy them while you can!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and LilyFayre like this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

JustChuck is offline Village Senator

My two have such different personalities. Murphy is very mellow and laid-back and has been quite calm since he was barely over a year old. At nearly 5 years old, Sparky is finally settling down but he still has more energy than Murphy did at 2.
    Former dad to Murphy and Sparky

freak is offline Village Royalty

My frank is almost 3 and is wild, runs around barking and carrying on, Beans is almost 3 as well and she is very chill . pugs are so different from one to another.

Noella is offline Village Puppy

Yeah. a chill pug George isn't. I'm just wondering if there are training techniques to encourage calm behaviour. I was watching Cesar's Dog Nation the other day and he had the dog on leash in a sit until the dog got bored and laid dog with his head down. And then rewarded the dog with lots of petting and love.

I don't think people understand how high energy until they meet him. Not a regular high energy pug. It's like pugtona all day long. He's never tired even if we went out for hour walks. I've met huskies that are much calmer. Everything is interesting. And I love that he gets excited about life. hahah. But sometimes it's too much to handle. We do put him in his crate to rest. But i don't want to do that all day to make him rest.

If anyone has any training techniques, that would be great!

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Lol! George sounds just like my Xanthe!

I was somewhat taken aback when she was a young puppy as I simply hadn't anticipated that a pug would be so hyper having had all these stereotypical assumptions that they are a placid breed! I found inventing games such as you would with a human toddler - water play with a washing up bowl and things to float in it, making a 'house' out of a large cardboard box, hide and seek with a toy or a dog treat etc were useful for amusing her during the daytime, evenings I just got used to continually throwing a ball for her whilst using my iPad or watching TV.

She's nearly three years old now and unless I gently poke her with a finger and say "beep" when she immediately leaps up for some very exciteable play with me, she saves it for when we go outside for bathroom breaks when there's some pretty frenetic ball chasing otherwise she's mostly very calm with me now. However, I did get another puppy six months ago that she instantly took too so she has quite a few chase and play fight sessions with him that wears off some of her energy. He has nowhere near her high energy levels, but is far more adventurous and 'creative' in his thinking!

So basically, George is being quite 'normal' for him and will quieten down in time and take his cue from you as to whether or not you're willing to play with him. I'd give the putting him on a lead thing in the hope of bringing about this calm sooner a miss though as he's likely to develop a substitute behaviour that could be even less desirable than bouncing around!
    Last edited by LilyFayre; 10-22-2017 at 04:36 PM.
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Actually just had another thought - what are you feeding George on?

There are certainly some pug owners who have reported a notable reduction in hyperactivity when they've changed their dog's diet.

I can't honestly say that I think this would have made an difference to Xanthe since she is fed on a high quality cooked meat and vegetables wetfood product anyway, but it could be worth investigating for George
    CSollers likes this.
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

+ Reply to Thread