Advice on whether to re-home my pug
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Advice on whether to re-home my pug

hawkeye is offline Village Mayor

Default Advice on whether to re-home my pug

First, I am a pug lover similar to everyone on here. I have experienced a couple unplanned significant events that lead me to question not whatís best for me, but rather whatís best for my pug. I travel on business four days a week (every week), which requires me to leave her with a sitter. Further complicating matters I recently discovered my girlfriend is allergic to dogs. Although the girlfriend does not live with me there is a good chance in the future. She is otherwise over every weekend (I donít often go to her place since I donít want to leave my pug alone for extended period, nights, etc.).

Despite the above I do my best to give my pug a loving home and she is spoiled. I just question whether itís fair to constantly take her back and forth between my house and the sitter. I also find myself working overtime to keep distance between her and my girlfriend, clean pug hair, etc.

I just feel itís hit a point where I might not be the ideal home for her. I am just looking for advice given the above. If I could find an amazing loving home I would definitely consider placing her in a new home. Although west coast is preferred I am more focused on a loving situation vs convienence.

Note, she is a six year old fawn pug, AKC registered, easy to care for, and very cute. I adopted her at age two from a breeder who was into dog shows, etc. She is great with people, but gets jealous of other dogs. Any new home cannot have another dog or cat. She has no medical issues, but requires daily eye drops like most pugs.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Sorry that this is happening! Sounds like re homing is the best thing for her!
    Nina_W likes this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I'm so sorry you are facing this choice. I hate to see a much-loved pug have to move on to a new home, but sometimes it is in the pug's best interest.
    Does the girlfriend (or could she) take allergy medication or get allergy shots for the dog allergy? Does your pug enjoy her time at the sitter? Would the sitter be interested in giving her a permanent home?

I just looked at your old posts and I see that you asked this same question a year ago... so, if things with your work situation are not likely to change and you are back to ask about this again, maybe that means it is in your pug's best interest to find her a new home. Wishing you peace with whatever decision you make.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Bugoneal is offline Village Featherpug

I am in AZ and I want to holler we'll take her!! Having said that it would probably be best to contact rescue APARN - I'm sure you can get their number. Although it would be good to ask your sitter first. Know you are doing what is best.
    ~~mary - loved by Colbie the Vizsla Pug, plus many featherpugs! Remembering our heart pugs Bug and Sugar at the Rainbow Bridge with Sissy the Chihuahua Pug

Quote Originally Posted by Bugoneal View Post
    I am in AZ and I want to holler we'll take her!! Having said that it would probably be best to contact rescue APARN - I'm sure you can get their number. Although it would be good to ask your sitter first. Know you are doing what is best.
    I actually adopted a pug from APARN in the past. My issue with most pug rescues is that I cannot be involved in where she ends up. Plus this is not an emergency situation. I need to make sure she goes to a good home with a similar quality of life. Note, I cannot place her in a home with someone who has another dog. She is nice 99% of the time to other dogs, but it’s that 1%.

Pug Auntie is offline Village Admiral

I'm sorry you are in this situation. Honestly, I could never, ever give up any of my dogs. They are my family. If I was in your shoes, I'd keep my dog and find a new girlfriend. Sorry, but that is how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pug Auntie View Post
    I'm sorry you are in this situation. Honestly, I could never, ever give up any of my dogs. They are my family. If I was in your shoes, I'd keep my dog and find a new girlfriend. Sorry, but that is how I feel.
    Sell the gf is not the primary issue, but I otherwise agree. I am on the road a lot on business.

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

I, too, wish I could take her for you, but we already have a Pug, a Lab & cat. I also have a self-imposed limit of 2 dogs, because I know how expensive they can get in their old age......In fact, Lab Molly has been on 2 fairly expensive meds for awhile now. We're glad we still have her here with us, and she is so worth it! I hope you can find the perfect home for your baby! Maybe an elderly person who is lonely would be a perfect match for her......If you feel you really need to do this, keep trying to get the word out with people you know well & can trust--they might have a parent or grandparent who needs your little one in their life. Might your sitter know of someone, or you could check with your vet, etc, to see if they might know someone who has recently lost their dog, and needs someone to love again.....
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

myboysRmylife is offline Village Admiral

I want to commend you for putting your pug's needs ahead of your own desires; that speaks volumes about you! I wish you luck in whatever you decide. Please let us know how it turns out =)

allygirl is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    Sell the gf is not the primary issue, but I otherwise agree. I am on the road a lot on business.
    I just want to make sure I understand this post correctly.
    If it weren't for being on the road a lot, you would agree with Pug Auntie on the "keep the dog, find a new girlfriend"? You don't have to answer that if you don't want to...BUT if I did understand that correctly....you should think about that relationship and rather or not you really want to be in a relationship like that.
    As for the pug, is there anyway she can travel with you? Does she like going to the sitter? If she enjoys going to her sitter and you can afford to continue paying a sitter, I see nothing wrong with that...now if she acts depressed when you leave or anything like that, it would be different.

I would love to do the travel nursing some day but I am not able to due to the animals. I have 6 indoor cats, 1 pug, 9 barn cats, 1 outside dog, 4 horses, and 12ish goats. I will not rehome them so I can travel nor can I drag them with me all over the US. lol (wish I could!) So I had to choose between traveling/selling out and staying here/working local. Personally, I could never rehome my animals, especially with part of the reason being another person. I know for a fact I would eventually resent that person and it would end up in a break up anyways.

Good Luck with that difficult decision.
    Amy
    Mom to 1 pug, 1 GSD & 7 cats!
    Ally, Tali, Macy, Panther, Buttercup, Garfield, Missy, Baby Myla & Zoe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast