What I should know before buying a pug?
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By GordonBrunoPugMom
  • 2 Post By LilyFayre
  • 2 Post By Rugbysmom
  • 3 Post By Snifter

Thread: What I should know before buying a pug?

Natka2158 is offline New to the Village

Default What I should know before buying a pug?

Hi :) I've dreaming about pugs for a long time. Now, I would like to buy a pug and I need some informations. I would like to know something about health, care, food, what they like and doesn't like. How long should a walk be and... I work for 9 hours. Can a dog wait quietly at home? Will it stay 9 hours wthout an exit?
    I would be grateful for any informations :))

Thanks guys!

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Great you came here before you get a Pug. We got many members with much advice . You are in Poland and I am not familiar with dog breeding there. I know they have a lot of flea market type of places in EU. I say do not look there.
    I usually suggest to find a breeder from the Countries Breed Specific Club. Go visit a dog show and talk to breeders. Go to MeetUps and talk to owners.
    A Breeder who shows you the puppies parents and has a limit to litters a year. Also a health guarantee is a good sign. Take your time to find the right pug. Sometimes you found the breeder but they may only have one litter in planning or already taken deposits for all the puppies born that time and you have to wait in line for the next available puppy.
    I am glad you are here and everyone here will help you through the process of finding and taking care of your pug.
    Last edited by GordonBrunoPugMom; 04-11-2018 at 04:58 PM.

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Hi!

You might want to look at what breeders are doing Germany where there is a growing trend for longer nosed and legged pugs http://www.mprv.de/

Here in the UK a good breeder will have health tested their dogs before breeding from them. This includes DNA tests for genetically inherited diseases and x-rays for skeletal issues. You can find more information here Pug | Dog Breed Health

Obviously having to leave a puppy for 9 hours when you are at work isn't ideal but maybe you could get someone to go in at lunch time to feed the puppy and spend some time with him?

Good luck - you're doing the right thing by asking questions first!
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Hi & Pugs are such great little dogs! Very loving and fun companions! They are prone to a few health issues, though--especially breathing issues due to their very short noses, and also their lovely large eyes are easily injured. Try to ask breeders about any health problems in the parents. Also Pugs have to be indoor dogs, as they cannot handle any extremes in heat or cold, also due to their short noses. If you live in a very hot place, air conditioning is very important. Always use a harness on them instead of a collar, as their tracheas can be easily injured by a collar. You will learn a lot by reading on here & asking questions, & everybody is always happy to help here! Keep doing your research to make sure a Pug is really the right breed for you, and then I hope you will be posting pictures of your new family member on here soon!
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

A puppy will not be able to hold on for 9 hours without access to toilet facilities. Even if you can get someone to call in at lunch time for an hour to play with puppy, feed it and let it out to potty you are very likely to come home to accidents in the early months. Accidents in the home will slow the potty training to some degree but not ridiculously so. You just have to be prepared to deal with the accidents.

Of more concern is leaving a pug alone for that long. It can be done, and many do, but pugs were bred to be people dogs and they thrive on companionship. For that reason, having someone to call in on the pug during the day would be a very good thing.

Pugs can have awful health issues if badly bred, so you do need to find a reputable breeder. Even so the bulging eyes mean they are prone to eye ulcers. I don't think I have heard of a pug that never had an eye issue at some stage. Also, in my experience, if something goes wrong health-wise it tends to be expensive to treat.

Pugs don't need very long walks but they do need exercise. In very hot weather you must be careful, however, as the short noses and thick coats mean they are prone to overheating.

Pugs are generally greedy and good at begging for extra treats. You must, must, must monitor a pug's weight carefully to make sure it is a healthy weight. A bit too slim is far, far better than a bit too fat. I cannot emphasize this highly enough. The biggest favour you can do for a pug's health and longevity is keep it at a healthy weight.

Be prepared to live with pug hairs for ever more. They shed. And then shed some more.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

+ Reply to Thread