Roxie and pneumonia again - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Roxie and pneumonia again

AmyR is offline Village Ninja Pug

Very sad to hear this
    I certainly hope Roxie rallies and you have plenty of time left together for more puggy cuddles.

I have to say, and I really don't mean to make this any more difficult than it is and I'm not a vet obviously...

I don't understand why they wouldn't keep trying antibiotics and medical management (without the invasive tests) when her quality of life isn't diminishing. Sure, if she was requiring oxygen therapy and very distressed etc etc, then I get it. Just my two cents, that's all.
    pugaddiction likes this.
    Amy
    ~ Will's mum and servant!
    And now mummy to puppy Charlie too! Who said pugs are addictive?! :)

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

Thank you all for your concerns. I spoke with Lisa this morning and she has been very helpful. I will be speaking with our vet about Lisa's advise. She is doing well this morning, no coughing and she actually didn't snore last night which is very strange, she always snores. She has about 7 or 8 more days of antibiotics and then I guess we will see. Lisa recommends a cough suppressant called guaifenesin to help her lungs clear out any fluid. When she coughs it is always quite loose sounding. When the cough starts to tighten up that's when we know the infection is back. The vets will give us antibiotics, they just don't want us to us them everyday when she is well.
    As for Eddie he has separation anxiety and if he is alone he does not do well. If Roxie is gone he will be alone and that's not good. Unfortunately we all work to pay for the pugs, lol. He is 14 now and I don't think introducing another pug to him at this time would be good. I will keep you all informed as the days go after her antibiotics and we will see how long we can keep it at bay.
    Pug Mom to Roxie
    Zoey (March 27, 2005 - February 23, 2015) and Eddie (October 2, 2010 - September 10, 2019) have moved on to the bridge

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I'm glad you were able to talk to Lisa and now have some other options to discuss with the vet.
    Wonka is on the guaifenesin for his cough.

Sending you positive vibes and best wishes for much more time. You are in my thoughts.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is online now Village Ya-Ya

I'm so glad you got in touch with Lisa. Guaifenesin sounds like a very good idea.
    pugaddiction and Rugbysmom like this.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

Bugoneal is offline Village Featherpug

Glad Lisa was able to help. We gave our Sugar girl guaifenesin - well half - almost every day of her last six months. It worked very well at keeping the gunk out of her progressive hemivertebrae body.
    pugaddiction likes this.
    ~~mary - loved by Colbie the Vizsla Pug, plus many featherpugs! Remembering our heart pugs Bug and Sugar at the Rainbow Bridge with Sissy the Chihuahua Pug

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Wonka & Nilla View Post
    I'm glad you were able to talk to Lisa and now have some other options to discuss with the vet.
    Wonka is on the guaifenesin for his cough.

Sending you positive vibes and best wishes for much more time. You are in my thoughts.
    Amy, are you finding that the guaifenesin is helping Wonka. Does it make him sleepy at all? Roxie is also on a bronchodialator and inhaler 2 times a day so I have to be sure that it won't have any interactions with that before I start her on it. She is still doing well, but still on antibiotics.
    Pug Mom to Roxie
    Zoey (March 27, 2005 - February 23, 2015) and Eddie (October 2, 2010 - September 10, 2019) have moved on to the bridge

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Quote Originally Posted by pugaddiction View Post
    Amy, are you finding that the guaifenesin is helping Wonka. Does it make him sleepy at all?
    He still coughs, but it has not progressed. And it does not sound "wet" so we continue to give the guaifenesin in hopes that it is making a difference and helping. But really, we don't know if it's helping much or not. I've tried to take him off it for a few days to see if I notice a difference and I think I do, but then I get worried about having him off it too long and he goes right back on it after maybe 2 days of experimenting. I just really don't want to risk pneumonia or similar and so I figure it's worth keeping him on it for whatever amount of help it does provide, even if it's not a lot.

I do not notice it causing drowsiness, but then Wonka is 13.5 years old and not nearly as active as he used to be- so it's hard to tell if something causes slight drowsiness.

I hope it is safe to give with Roxie's other med's and I hope it makes a difference for her!
    pugaddiction likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12