Pug eye protection - Cone vs. Optivizor vs. other options?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Pug eye protection - Cone vs. Optivizor vs. other options?

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Default Pug eye protection - Cone vs. Optivizor vs. other options?

With Wonka's upcoming eye surgery I've been looking at different types of Cones for after-surgery. He loves to rub his face on pillows and blankets so that is going to be hard to stop. With a regular plastic cone he could probably still maneuver a pillow corner or wadded up blanket so that he could rub his eyes and I'd like to prevent that if possible. I came across the "Optivizor" and I'm wondering if anyone has used one?
    They make a "Short Snout" version. They don't have great rating on Amazon, but after reading the reviews and then the company website I think that is mainly because they can be challenging to fit it to the dog. But the company offers a lot of options for getting assistance with fitting the vizor.

https://www.protectivepetsolutions.c...y-and-fit.html

Here's a pug from their website wearing the vizor:

What do you all think? Is it worth trying or is there some other/better option I should try? Has anyone used something other than the traditional plastic cone? I know that the "donut" inflatable cone that we have won't do anything to protect his eyes... and we've tested "Doggles" on him at the Doggie Physical Therapy office and they just did NOT fit his puggy face at all. He couldn't breathe! But this vizor thing looks like it might work. Just thought it's be nice to get some more feedback from others.
    Last edited by Wonka & Nilla; 10-14-2018 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

At first I laughed at the picture...before reading!!!

It just might work!!!!!
    Wonka & Nilla likes this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

ODemPugz is offline Village VP

I didn't have time to research anything and have been using the cone. Because Picachoo also likes to rub her face on everything, I was worried about the cone too. This has me day caring her at my local vet every work day! Not sure either one is enjoyable but wonder how it will fit since each dog had such different attributes. Let me know how it goes and best of luck with the surgery. We'll be praying for ya from here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

If it is a performance to get it on and off then that would be a concern if you have to give frequent drops. We used a padded cone (normal shape, not donut) when Toddy had his graft. That was mostly for the benefit of my legs though.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Default Pug eye protection - Cone vs. Optivizor vs. other options?

There was another thread about it . I could not find it anymore . But I believe it was not updated .
    I checked the company a few times , thinking I should have one handy just in case. They send you 3 sizes to try as I understood? I was thinking if someone here has tried it I will consider getting one to have it in need.
    I would have a hard time with Bruno he hates everything on him . Gordon would be OK I guess. He is also the one just moping around and not moving when something hurt.
    Right in time for trick or treat Wonka will need an astronaut suit.

Last edited by GordonBrunoPugMom; 10-15-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snifter View Post
    If it is a performance to get it on and off then that would be a concern if you have to give frequent drops. We used a padded cone (normal shape, not donut) when Toddy had his graft. That was mostly for the benefit of my legs though.
    I didn't think of that! I always worried when I had to put the cone back on Ben when he had his graft...or any others when coned.

Am going to post on FB!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs

Responses are coming in:

We recommended this for a bulldog at our clinic-- apparently it's something that has worked for a different client

I ordered a set for Caesar and he absolutely didn't want it on his head. 😕 I had high hopes because it is a really well-made, well thought out product. I ordered two of them- the short snout and the regular snout, both in size small. The regular one fit him really well. The short snout one was too close to his eyes. If she decides to order I definitely suggest ordering at least two different ones. They do accept returns. 😊
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs

Thanks all!
    I also wondered about getting it off for giving eye drops. I won't know unless I try it though.
    Whenever possible, Wonka would be carried or on my lap, so he probably wouldn't be wearing anything during that time. But I need something for while I'm gone to work.

Diane, thanks for posting to FB and asking for me! SO nice to see comments from people who are familiar with the vizor.

I contacted the company and sent photos and measurements of Wonka and they recommended getting a size small in both the short snout and regular, then returning the one that doesn't fit. I think I'm going to go ahead and try it. I can always return both if he absolutely won't allow it on his head.
    Village Moderator

Forever in our hearts:
    And my Heart-Dog...

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Canít wait for another Wonka review

After emailing back and forth with the company about sizing, I decided to order the Small of both the Short Snout and the Regular Snout. Based on his measurements, it seems like the small is the right size, but based on the photos I sent to them, they wondered if he might actually be in the small-medium size instead of just small - but I just did not want to spend THAT much money to buy FOUR of these things and then have to return three that don't fit. They are already nearly $40 each with shipping! So, I'm really hoping that one of the two I ordered will fit so I only have to return one. If neither fits then I'll need to decide at that time if I want to re-order and get the next size up or just stick with a traditional cone.

I will let you all know how this works out when they arrive. Fingers crossed that one is a good fit and that Wonka accepts wearing it!!!
    Village Moderator

Forever in our hearts:
    And my Heart-Dog...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast