My new doctor is the best! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: My new doctor is the best!

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Ah - I don’t have any hesitations in spaying a bitch as pyometra is always a present and possible risk, so my other pug and my spaniel are both spayed. Unfortunately, a possible risk in that is urinary incontinence that my spaniel sadly has, but she’s the only female I’ve ever owned over many decades to have developed this issue after spaying and I would still opt to have a bitch spayed. With males, these days though I’d say DON’T neuter them unless you really have to, especially if there are fear issues. If he’s like this now, there’s no telling what he’ll be like once he hasn’t got any testosterone. You could investigate chemical castration to give you some idea of the likely outcome since at least that isn’t totally irrecoverable as the effect of the injections wear off after a while.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

SiennasMommy is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by LilyFayre View Post
    I also forgot to add that you must ensure that you only ever permit a vet who is well experienced with brachycephalic breeds to put a pug under anaesthetic as different protocols apply. For example they must only use isoflurane gas, only 50% of the usual pre med eg ACP can be given, the intubation tube must NOT be removed until they are fully conscious and they must weigh a minimum of 4kg in weight to avoid unnecessary risk. If you are at all in doubt take Louie to a veterinary hospital known to regularly treat brachycephalic breeds rather than an independent vet.
    Yes, yes, yes and yes!! I've heard of many dying on the table for routine things. I made sure my vet was familiar with pugs before letting him touch her. She's had a spay and multitude of dentals and came thru all just fine.

She told Mama that she is going to give me something called a neuter that might help with that. At first I didn't want to get a neuter. I like being wild and having fun! It's the best. Mama said I have to get one because I'm growing up. She said that's how people will know I'm a grown up and not a baby is by getting a neuter. I want everyone to know I'm not a baby!
    Sweetie, is Mama telling you everything? Did she tell you what a neuter is.

No swear words, but don't want to offend anyone. It is mentioned in the Bible for the Jews. Scroll your mouse over the words (like you're going to copy text) and it should reveal the text.

Reminds me of the lines in the movie "Robin Hood Men in Tights" with Carey Elwes. Robin and his merry men meet a bunch of monks....

Friar Tuck: Mohel, he's a very important guy. He makes circumcisions.

Robin: What, pray tell, sir, is a circumcision?

Friar Tuck: It's the latest rage. The ladies love it.

Merry Man 1: I want one.

Merry Man 2: I'll take two.

Merry Man 3: I get one!

Merry Man 4: I'm game. How's it done?
    Sienna Foo Ming Geeting
    May 30, 2006 ~ January 11, 2021
    You will always always always be number one in my heart.
    I love you baby girl.

BabsandLoon is offline Village Admiral

No. I did not tell him the whole truth about what a neuter is.

LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Babs Mom #1 to Louis Franklin, Georgia Pearl, and Charles Mylo

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

HeidiHoog is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by BabsandLoon View Post
    No. I did not tell him the whole truth about what a neuter is.

LOL!

We didn't tell Otis either before his neuter!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BabsandLoon is offline Village Admiral

Absolutely zero clue what it really means to get neutered lol

HeidiHoog and SiennasMommy like this.
    ~Babs Mom #1 to Louis Franklin, Georgia Pearl, and Charles Mylo

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Default My new doctor is the best!

Here in the US neuter/spay is almost a must .
    Many places won’t accept unaltered dogs . I am talking from renting a home to dog training even hotels, including dog parks . You sign a spay/neuter agreement when you buy from a reputable breeder . There are limited registration for AKC .
    That said my one Dachshund was not neutered . He had no interest in any dogs or even people all he wanted to do is hunting mice, squirrels , badgers etc. He was happiest doing what he loved ! Being a true Dachshund . I was already a little chunky monkey and I did not want him to get any weight either .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by GordonBrunoPugMom; 08-01-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

I neutered Bo when he was 1, afterwards he became aggressive, the vet talked me into neutering Finn last year, and I knew better, I am so mad at myself. well Finn is showing aggression also, it happens, not always but it happens. I will never neuter again. Most of the setters, Finn is an English Setter are not neutered, but vets will sure try to talk you into it. Make sure you are positive you want to do it, especially since he is an only dog. They really need to do vasectomies, some countries do, hormones are important to be healthy.
    Last edited by Suri; 08-01-2020 at 10:09 PM.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and AmyR like this.
    Susan, mom to Desi, Lucy and Finn

Honoring Sruffy,Bo, Maggie Mae, Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

The Chupacabra has never been neutered, but some cities are punitive in licensing for intact dogs and most rescues will not place a dog in a home with an intact animal.

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Quote Originally Posted by tall grass pugs View Post
    The Chupacabra has never been neutered, but some cities are punitive in licensing for intact dogs and most rescues will not place a dog in a home with an intact animal.
    That is true here in the U.K. too, most rescues will not place a dog in a home with an intact animal. The only one I currently know of that does is a French bulldog rescue. Partly I think because this breed became over bred in such huge numbers here that they could no longer afford to have this as a rehoming limitation, but also because of the growing awareness that neutering some males can cause serious behavioural issues.

There is also research that suggests that the increased health risks from neutering outweigh the currently perceived health benefits. Since that is still early research, I think that has to remain a personal decision other than the more proven knowledge that neutering larger breeds before they are fully mature adults can seriously impact bone growth and cause hip dysplasia etc.

So I’m sitting on the fence with this one. I can always easily get Darwin neutered if he had to be for medical reasons, but I can’t un-neuter him once it’s done. At least with him being intact he isn’t constantly pestered by other dogs trying to mount him when he’s out in the park. They generally take one sniff at him and back away and that suits me and Darwin just fine!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Suri like this.
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

most rescues will not place a dog in a home with an intact animal.
    Rescues will not allow you to even participate in fundraisers or anything if you have an intact animal. I found that out years ago, that is one of the reasons I do not do anything with rescues. I think this was a discussion on here that there have been activities/fundraiser things and if your dog is intact you are not allowed to participate.
    Susan, mom to Desi, Lucy and Finn

Honoring Sruffy,Bo, Maggie Mae, Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast