My new doctor is the best!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: My new doctor is the best!

BabsandLoon is offline Village Senator

Cool My new doctor is the best!

Hey everybody! It's Louie! I got a new doctor! Her name is Dr. Jo and guess what! She has the best cookies I ever tasted in my whole big life right in her pocket!

Guess what else! She came right to my house to see me. I got to show her my room and all my toys. I showed her where Mama and Mema keep the good food and the lamb cookies. I showed her my big bed where I sleep with Mama and Mema.

She was really nice. She played with me and everything. She said I am a very handsome pug boy.

She said I have pretty teeth and shiny eyes. She liked my hair too. She said it was really soft. I showed her how strong I am and how fast I can run. She was really impressed.

Mama asked her about me being clingy and needing to be with her every second of every day. I don't see anything wrong with that! I love my Mama! I like to know she is okay and I like to see what's she's doing. Dr. Jo said some of it was because I was a little spoiled and some of it is just because I'm a pug.

She did say I was a little bit of a wild boy. She told Mama that she is going to give me something called a neuter that might help with that. At first I didn't want to get a neuter. I like being wild and having fun! It's the best. Mama said I have to get one because I'm growing up. She said that's how people will know I'm a grown up and not a baby is by getting a neuter. I want everyone to know I'm not a baby!

So that's what I did today. I played with Dr. Jo and ate good cookies and followed my Mama everywhere.
    ~Babs Mom #1 to Louie

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

What a good day you have had, Louie. How nice that your Dr. will come to your house with yummy cookies.
    Wonka & Nilla likes this.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

A neuter ? Mama did I have a neuter ? Gordon can't have one .I am the only one who can have it ! He is not special like me ? What Gordon has one too?
    NOT FAIR

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Darwin says no one is touching his bits!!
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Very cool that you Dr. Jo makes house calls! Not many vets do that nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by BabsandLoon View Post
    Dr. Jo said some of it was because I was a little spoiled and some of it is just because I'm a pug.
    WHAT?! Louie's not spoiled! LOL That whole sentence made me laugh. Yes, pugs like to be with their humans 24/7 if possible.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Rugbysmom like this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

I REALLY liked Dr. Jo! She was absolutely wonderful with Louie.
    She is a mobile vet who ONLY does house calls. She wasn't expensive either...cheaper than Louie's vet in Georgia.

She did say Louie was a little spoiled. She also said she'd rather see them spoiled. Louie does need to learn some basic manners and if this covid thing ever stops he is going to school!
    ~Babs Mom #1 to Louie

Could I suggest to you that you consider postponing neutering Louie until you have a clear idea of how he interacts with other dogs when he goes to school? With Darwin it was obvious from a young age that he was very intimidated when out mixing with other dogs. That’s the main reason that he hasn’t been neutered as the last thing I wanted was for that to escalate into fear aggression as has been known to happen sometimes. There are other reasons not to as you’ll discover if you read up on recent studies on Male neutering, but that has to be a personal decision. There are no guarantees in this. Some dogs definitely do calm down after neutering, others remain just as wild, perhaps even more so. Neither does it guarantee that a Male won’t spray afterwards, but does improve the chances of it. Darwin doesn’t spray in my home while I’m here, but has been known to if someone knocks on the door while I’m out, and literally can’t help himself when he detects the smell of other dogs eg in the vets.

If your sole intention is that he is totally prevented from ever being bred from that is perhaps as guaranteed as it gets. Hope you aren’t offended by my comments, they’re meant in friendship
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

tall grass pugs is online now Village Orb Weaver Advocate

Neutering is a time to also get a microchip----
    BabsandLoon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LilyFayre View Post
    Could I suggest to you that you consider postponing neutering Louie until you have a clear idea of how he interacts with other dogs when he goes to school? With Darwin it was obvious from a young age that he was very intimidated when out mixing with other dogs. That’s the main reason that he hasn’t been neutered as the last thing I wanted was for that to escalate into fear aggression as has been known to happen sometimes. There are other reasons not to as you’ll discover if you read up on recent studies on Male neutering, but that has to be a personal decision. There are no guarantees in this. Some dogs definitely do calm down after neutering, others remain just as wild, perhaps even more so. Neither does it guarantee that a Male won’t spray afterwards, but does improve the chances of it. Darwin doesn’t spray in my home while I’m here, but has been known to if someone knocks on the door while I’m out, and literally can’t help himself when he detects the smell of other dogs eg in the vets.

If your sole intention is that he is totally prevented from ever being bred from that is perhaps as guaranteed as it gets. Hope you aren’t offended by my comments, they’re meant in friendship

Absolutely not offended at all! At the suggestion of both his vet in Georgia, and his new vet here Louie won't be neutered until he is at least a year old. He will be 8 months old August 9th so we still have a few months to see how he does.

He doesn't mark inside so that isn't an issue.

As far as being intimidated by other dogs, we are hoping school will help with that. He is intimidated by EVERYTHING. Dogs, cats, grown up geckos, little bitty tiny baby geckos, leaves that the wind blows, bugs...we are working with him and his confidence issues but it's hard right now.
    I feel a little guilty for that because I feel like it's our fault. While it was absolutely done out of love, I think Loon and I have spoiled Louie to the point that he is over dependent on us (me especially) and doesn't really know how to "dog".

I DO hope that getting neutered will calm him down at least a little bit, but our reasons for doing it are more along the lines of we don't ever want any grandpuppies! We plan on getting Louie a sister eventually and so we want to have both of them fixed so we have absolutely ZERO chance of any puppies.

Yep, he will be getting his microchip right along with his neuter.
    ayleash and Lu Ci and Ri Ki like this.
    ~Babs Mom #1 to Louie

I also forgot to add that you must ensure that you only ever permit a vet who is well experienced with brachycephalic breeds to put a pug under anaesthetic as different protocols apply. For example they must only use isoflurane gas, only 50% of the usual pre med eg ACP can be given, the intubation tube must NOT be removed until they are fully conscious and they must weigh a minimum of 4kg in weight to avoid unnecessary risk. If you are at all in doubt take Louie to a veterinary hospital known to regularly treat brachycephalic breeds rather than an independent vet.
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast