How well trained is your pug? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: How well trained is your pug?

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Heidi is such a little sweetie & very well behaved. She knows sit, lay down, & stay (sort of, as long I have a treat). She doesn't really know "tricks" but she will offer her paw. She doesn't tear anything up or be naughty......She is such a little lady! Out of the 3 Pugs we've had, she is by far the most ladylike & well-behaved! I wish I could say it was due to my great training, but we didn't get Heidi until she was 4yrs old & had been a momma dog for her other mommy. I don't know if she is so sweet because she's had babies to take care of before, or if it is just her nature to be so sweet.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Wonka was a "wonder pug" and knew SO many tricks and commands... but he still barked for food, "screamed" in the car from excitement and had other "bad" habits that we just could not break.

Miss Beanie came to us knowing 1 trick from what we can tell = "high five" or shake. That's it - but she does it very well!! Since then she has learned sit and is pretty good at sitting on command. We've tried to slowly teach her a few other things, but she's still unpredictable for "come" or other basic commands. A lot of that is my fault for just not working with her very much. She's a smart girl and she loves treats so I'm sure she could learn if I just took the time.

In the past, I've always found that the best results come from very short, but frequent training sessions. Spend 2 minutes working on sit or stay or whatever and then say "all done" or whatever your release cue is, and leave it at that. Do this regularly throughout the day - breakfast, noon, evening, whenever you are out together at a pet store, in a parking lot, in the kitchen, in the yard, etc. That was how Wonka learned the best... very short sessions, repeated frequently in a variety of places.
    Snifter, Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Suri like this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

n the past, I've always found that the best results come from very short, but frequent training sessions. Spend 2 minutes working on sit or stay or whatever and then say "all done" or whatever your release cue is, and leave it at that. Do this regularly throughout the day - breakfast, noon, evening, whenever you are out together at a pet store, in a parking lot, in the kitchen, in the yard, etc. That was how Wonka learned the best... very short sessions, repeated frequently in a variety of places.
    That is what I tend to do, and I was wondering if I needed to spend more time training.

Lucy is smart and very food motivated. She is growing up but still such a puppy and silly. I read on an AKC email that when the door bell rings teach your pup to run to their crate, great idea but not going to happen and I always loved the "place" where the pup would go on something a rug or platform and stay till released, not happening.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Susan, mom to Scruffy, Bo and Maggie Mae

Honoring Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

rupp49er is offline Village Puppy

I find it amazing how different and individual pugs are, as I said about Banjo earlier, he really is a good learner and was remarkably easy to train on a lot of things, but he can be a complete spazz and acts like he has a screw loose, our first pug Dave barely learned to sit and that was only for food, he pretty much couldn't be bothered with anything else, but he was absolutely the best behaved and easiest dog I have ever met...

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Again Gordon can do it all ....

https://youtu.be/L0wfItgHZGE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

ain Gordon can do it all ....
    I love it!
    Susan, mom to Scruffy, Bo and Maggie Mae

Honoring Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12