Seeking for another Pug.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Seeking for another Pug.

Westwood is offline Village Puppy

Default Seeking for another Pug.

Hey everyone.

Wife and I are ready to get another Pug. As much as we'd love to do a rescue, they're either 9+ years old or have major medical issues; unless someone here knows of one. We're just looking for a typical purebred Male Fawn puppy. Don't need champion bloodlines or anything. Just a simple pupper.

I've called about two dozen breeders. We're on a waiting list with one; 7th in line. Others require a $500 non-refundable deposit (which there is no way I'm doing that) or have Pugs for upwards of $3000.

So just throwing this out there. We're in Northern New England, but would be fine with a couple days on the road if it meant getting a pup. Don't really want to fly if we can avoid it. So if anyone knows anyone, that'd be great. Thanks.
    Rugbysmom likes this.

GordonBrunoPugMom is online now Village Royalty

Default Seeking for another Pug.

I would not do a Non refundable deposit . A good bred pug is just about $2000 and up. But you get lifelong breeder support! Guarantee for genetic illness. Yes you can find breeders which are good but they are hard to find and I would not be able to tell by just looking at a puppy and or parents. I also am stunned when people are surprised when I tell them what I paid for my boys? I always wonder if your dog getís sick are you also asking about Price ? A lifetime of joy is priceless. A good breeder invests a lot of money and usually does not even break even . I start my search at Pug Club of America .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GordonBrunoPugMom View Post
    I would not do a Non refundable deposit . A good bred pug is just about $2000 and up. But you get lifelong breeder support! Guarantee for genetic illness. Yes you can find breeders which are good but they are hard to find and I would not be able to tell by just looking at a puppy and or parents. I also am stunned when people are surprised when I tell them what I paid for my boys? I always wonder if your dog getís sick are you also asking about Price ? A lifetime of joy is priceless. A good breeder invests a lot of money and usually does not even break even . I start my search at Pug Club of America .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Our last Pug I got from a breeder. I think the ad was in the paper? $800. Tito lived an awesome life, but had the collapsed trachea after 12 years. I can see swinging $1000, but anything above that starts to get crazy. We stopped at a place that had a sign out for Bulldog pups; they were asking $5800 each.

Iunno. If that's the way it is for Pugs, I guess I'll have to reconsider. =/

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

As a breeder, I can tell you that 99% of good breeders dont' even come out even after having puppies.

We test the female....and only breed those that meet the standard...and will improve the breed. Then...we look for a male that will help us do that! We delve into pedigrees. Distance is not a problem now that there is chilled and frozen semen. We test to find the right day to breed.....many times to have the semen sent in at the right time. That is $$60 to $100 each time.....and you sometimes have to do 5 or 6 tests depending on the female. We pay a stud service....plus to have it properly shipped...And then pay our vets to inseminate the female either surgically or artificially inseminate. We often have planned c sections.....pay to have dew claws off... We are with the mom and pups 24/7 as mom has to be watched so that she doesn't step or lay on babies. Babies need to be fed every 2 hrs round the clock until they are about 2 wks old..and then you start to spread it longer and longer. Pug pups often get milk coming out of their noses until nursing is stopped at 4-6 wks of age...and often have to be cleared...so you have to be around when nursing! Sometimes they aspirate...and meds have to be given to save the pup. Shots are given....check ups....and vet visits if there are any concerns. A good breeder keeps their babies til at least 12 weeks old. (We keep for about 16 wks) The pet you get could be a littermate to the top winning pug in the country. They are all treated the same.

Prices vary depending on where you live. But you cannot expect to get a puppy from a good breeder for $1000.

I agree about not giving a non refundable deposit!!! Sometimes breedings don't take....sometimes you lose the entire litter!!! You need to be free to get a pug that comes up rather than waiting years because you put down a deposit!! I don't even take one! I like to get to know people before selling a puppy to them! Many calls and emails.......and I let my babies go to the best homes!

Seeing you finding the right pug for your home!
    Last edited by shaynapug; 09-28-2020 at 11:26 AM.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

oy. didn't know it was that involved.

heh, welp this isn't looking good then. I think a Pug just got bumped down the list. =/

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Please don't totally discount rescue. You never know if the right Pug for your family is just around the corner.
    Wonka & Nilla likes this.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

GordonBrunoPugMom is online now Village Royalty

I am not saying you can not find a pug . I say start telling everyone you are looking . Someone will know someone . It worked often just like that . Put flyers on bulletin boards of vets and grooming salons . FB has groups for non scammer breeders Not sure what they are about but they do . Just be careful with any transaction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by GordonBrunoPugMom View Post
    I am not saying you can not find a pug . I say start telling everyone you are looking . Someone will know someone . It worked often just like that . Put flyers on bulletin boards of vets and grooming salons . FB has groups for non scammer breeders Not sure what they are about but they do . Just be careful with any transaction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Yea, ben doing that. Every CL ad is a scam. Every. Single. One. I've contacted about 80 of them all over the Eastern coast. Every one of them was "you send money now, you get Pug over night". Every single ad was like that.

I have words out to all the vets in the area. Made some posts on reddit. Few other forums I frequent. So have most bases covered.

The reality behind it is that getting a Pug isn't likely. I'll keep an eye out, but I'm going to have to open up more options at local shelters.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I would say don't rule out a rescue either!!!! Sometimes, if the rescue is out of state...they can get a hold of someone in your state to do a home visit. If you're willing to drive.....you might get one there!!! Another place to watch is the shelters! I see many pugs on FB with requests by people to get them out of the shelter!!!

Also...sometimes, if you contact a breeder they or someone they know have a retired Ch....or a girl that is fairly young that they won't be breeding anymore and want to place them. That might be more reasonable. They are placed so that the breeders don't get over dogged as they continue to breed so that they can show their dogs.....and continue to improve the breed. This also gets the pug in a situation with less pugs to compete with for attention!

Again...seeing the right pug in your home!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Quote Originally Posted by shaynapug View Post
    I would say don't rule out a rescue either!!!! Sometimes, if the rescue is out of state...they can get a hold of someone in your state to do a home visit. If you're willing to drive.....you might get one there!!! Another place to watch is the shelters! I see many pugs on FB with requests by people to get them out of the shelter!!!

Also...sometimes, if you contact a breeder they or someone they know have a retired Ch....or a girl that is fairly young that they won't be breeding anymore and want to place them. That might be more reasonable. They are placed so that the breeders don't get over dogged as they continue to breed so that they can show their dogs.....and continue to improve the breed. This also gets the pug in a situation with less pugs to compete with for attention!

Again...seeing the right pug in your home!
    There were a few at rescues over the past couple months, but they were a bit older. Most were hospice care. No pups.

I called about 50 breeders all over New England. It was funny, because the list I got was on some site that hadn't been updated since 2011. Most contacts were still able to be reached. I got word out to them, others don't breed anymore, etc. One of those folks I was able to get 7th on a waiting list for a Fawn Male. I chatted with the guy and the price is $1000. So I'm banking on maybe someone people on the waiting list dropping out.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Rugbysmom like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast