Old School Pug/Celtic Pug vs. Chinese Pug - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Old School Pug/Celtic Pug vs. Chinese Pug

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by alexlovepinkx3 View Post
    Thank you all for your responses! It's interesting that some responses said that's probably saying this so that she can charge more but this pug is significantly less than pugs from other breeders I've contacted. She appears to be a hobby breeder and is not breeding show dogs and they are not AKC certified. I've contacted both her vet and someone who has worked with her before and they all have good things to say. The woman I spoke to said she talked to her vet and they told her the dog was definitely a purebred. So I'm not sure I'm thinking I might move forward no one appears to have issues with the breeder and she appears to be reasonable
    You feel comfortable with the breeder and they have a pup you fall in love with what does it matter if the dog is pure or not ? Healthy now and hopefully in the future is what you want !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

You are doing your due diligence so I say trust your gut feeling. I will be praying this works out and we get to see lots of photos of the homecoming.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

PenguinsFan1 is offline Village Mayor

IMO the Irish/Celtic Pugs don’t have as much of a wrinkle in the face and their muzzle looks a little different. also Celtic’s are more on the silver/grey color white and black. There are Fawn colored ones. I think the Chinese Pugs more wrinkles and there are slot of those pugs that are tan and apricot Fawn colored.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

I have 2 Chinese I guess Fawn colored tan and apricot colored.

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinsFan1 View Post
    IMO the Irish/Celtic Pugs don’t have as much of a wrinkle in the face and their muzzle looks a little different. also Celtic’s are more on the silver/grey color white and black. There are Fawn colored ones. I think the Chinese Pugs more wrinkles and there are slot of those pugs that are tan and apricot Fawn colored.

I can't say that I've ever heard of Celtic pugs, but if they are a silver/grey colour that definitely would tend to imply that they are cross breeds.
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

sassismom is offline Village Original Southern Dame

I hope this works out and your heart is stolen by a puppy so we can join you in the adventure of being Pugged! Sounds like the vet feels she has good quality pups and she may just being using a local slang for the breed if you are happy that's what counts! My first Pug Sassi was born from breed standard pair all her siblings where the fawn standard Pug, she however was apricot and had a little longer muzzle. The breeder was going to drown her (yes bad person didn't know until later) I saw the mom and dad Sassi stole my heart and the daughter had brought her home (they didn't keep her with the litter since she was different) there are plenty of antique portraits with the exact Pug in it as Sassi! She is the apricot Pug in my avatar.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and LilyFayre like this.
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow My Sweet Babies until we meet again at the Bridge Sassi (1998 - 2011) Angus (2005 - 2017) Meelah (2005 - 2018) Sissi (2011 - 2019) Cecil (2018 - 2020)

I never heard or seen that Celtic Pugs are cross bred with another breed of dog. Maybe an AKC write up or even ask a Celtic Pug breeder these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinsFan1 View Post
    I never heard or seen that Celtic Pugs are cross bred with another breed of dog. Maybe an AKC write up or even ask a Celtic Pug breeder these questions.

Ah I think that I didn't make my comment very clearly! The AKC as with the English Kennel Club have specific breed descriptions that include colour. Silver/grey is NOT a recognised colour in the pug breed apart from genuine silver fawn that is quite rare now - and a genuine one would indeed be extremely expensive if a breeder ever considered selling it anyway. These days the silver/grey ones are often described as being platinum - a colour that has been obtained by cross breeding.
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

BabsandLoon is offline Village Senator

I think at the end of the day it doesn't matter what "nationality" your baby is or even if it's pure bred or not. What is important is that you get a happy, healthy baby that you love.

With that said, my Louie is on the taller leaner side. By description he would seem to fall more towards the "Celtic" side I suppose. His registration simply says "pug".
    ~Babs Mom #1 to Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BabsandLoon View Post
    I think at the end of the day it doesn't matter what "nationality" your baby is or even if it's pure bred or not. What is important is that you get a happy, healthy baby that you love.

With that said, my Louie is on the taller leaner side. By description he would seem to fall more towards the "Celtic" side I suppose. His registration simply says "pug".
    Absolute agree with this too!

The problem comes when fraudulent breeders sell what are essentially crossbred dogs as being of pure bred pedigree, probably charging a lot of money for it too when the dog isn’t a pedigree at all! Then it’s a con trick as they know full well that most dog lovers aren’t going to part with their puppies even if they do eventually realise that they’ve been conned!
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast