Old School Pug/Celtic Pug vs. Chinese Pug
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Old School Pug/Celtic Pug vs. Chinese Pug

alexlovepinkx3 is offline New to the Village

Question Old School Pug/Celtic Pug vs. Chinese Pug

I am currently considering working with a breeder that has claimed that her pugs are 'Old School' or 'Old Style' pugs also known as Celtic pugs as opposed to Chinese pugs that have the smushed faces, breathing issues and stockier build. My question is - are old style pugs a legitimate type of a pug? I tried to look this up online and didn't see much about it. Are they still purebred pugs?

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

I don’t know what that means. Probably something made up to sell you for a high price. A good breeder will give you a guarantee for genetic defects . I understand there are breeders out there trying to breed for a longer nose not sure how they do it ? Sometimes they introduce another breed to get a certain trait. I also know people believe owing a dog like a Pug is cruel and they should never be allowed? All I can say I got 3 happy healthy Pug boys which enjoy to be outside and go on nature walks but mostly love to snuggle with me . They are bred to be sitting on my lap and not for a race track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

you are being had, big time---the American Kennel Club has very clear remarks on appearance and temperament
    Shutterpug and Renee like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

If they are purebred, which I doubt, they're very poorly bred. I wouldn't pay very much for one!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

There are some pug bloodlines in the UK that can still throw an older type of pug that has a bit of a muzzle, longer legs and a slimmer body build. They look very much like the photos taken of pugs in the UK in the early 1900s. My Xanthe is one of these, but they aren’t any specific type of pug.

There is also a group of breeders in Germany that have purportedly, selectively bred for pugs with a longer muzzle - this is one website MPRV e.V. Mops - und Pekingesen Rassehunde - Verband

But as said above anyone trying to sell pug pups as a specific type eg Celtic is likely to be on the make in some way to charge a higher price

This is my Xanthe

fullsizeoutput_80c by Lily Fayre, on Flickr
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

sassismom is offline Village Original Southern Dame

When Pugs where smuggled out of China they looked like the one of Xanthe, then due to lack of breeding pairs In paintings and engravings of the 18th and 19th centuries, Pugs usually appear with longer legs and noses than today, and sometimes with cropped ears. The modern Pug's appearance probably changed after 1860 when a new wave of Pugs were imported directly from China. These Pugs had shorter legs and the modern-style Pug nose.

SO either you are looking at cross breeds or non Pugs!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow My Sweet Babies until we meet again at the Bridge Sassi (1998 - 2011) Angus (2005 - 2017) Meelah (2005 - 2018) Sissi (2011 - 2019) Cecil (2018 - 2020)

The Happa dog is also believed to be a part of pug ancestry. Ta-Jen was imported to the UK in 1907 and was the last known Happa dog here. He currently resides in an annexe of the natural history museum at Tring, Hertfordshire, UK. This photo of him was taken for me by one of my pupils when they went on a school trip there some years ago

36A0F930-7956-47F7-A81E-022267E15941 by Lily Fayre, on Flickr
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

alexlovepinkx3 is offline New to the Village

Thank you all for your responses! It's interesting that some responses said that's probably saying this so that she can charge more but this pug is significantly less than pugs from other breeders I've contacted. She appears to be a hobby breeder and is not breeding show dogs and they are not AKC certified. I've contacted both her vet and someone who has worked with her before and they all have good things to say. The woman I spoke to said she talked to her vet and they told her the dog was definitely a purebred. So I'm not sure I'm thinking I might move forward no one appears to have issues with the breeder and she appears to be reasonable

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

in the end you will love the dog your heart directed you to buy, looking forward to lots of pics and welcome to the group
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and LilyFayre like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tall grass pugs View Post
    in the end you will love the dog your heart directed you to buy, looking forward to lots of pics and welcome to the group
    Absolutely!

If however it is important to you to buy a pedigree pug of good bloodlines those breeders will be using fully health tested dogs to breed from, their pups will be kennel club registered, they cost a great deal of money plus the breeders are very picky about who they will sell one of their pups to as well
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast