Too Paranoid?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too Paranoid?

Nell's Mom is offline Village Royalty

Question Too Paranoid?

Our house is on the market so Nell and Lucy stay in their crates (very large crates with lots and lots of nice blankets!) now while we're at work for obvious safety reasons. I've always been uneasy about the idea of people being in the house with the pugs there when we're not there. So, a couple weeks ago, I bought locks to put on the crates. Kyle thinks I'm nuts. He also thinks that if potential buyers see the locks they won't automatically think we're just being extra cautious about our pets, they'll think we're giving the impression that the neighborhood is unsafe and they won't buy the house. I say, protecting the girls has to be my first priority and if potential buyers aren't smart enough to do their own research on the neighborhood that's their problem. Am I being too paranoid with the locks? I know I tend to worry needlessly about many things but I've just heard too many stories about stolen pugs. I could cover the crates so that buyers can't see the locks but I don't really want them to be in the dark all day.

I don't think you are being too paranoid. I would never even give a thought about the locks being on the crate if I was viewing a home. Now, if you have an electric 20-foot-tall fence surrounding your home with burgular bars and a security system I would be worried!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sabra - Owned by Mack & Mattie
    FashionableFurbabies
    Central Florida Pug Rescue

Click HERE for 2007 PV Secret Santa Info!!
    Deadline for sign-ups is October 10th!!

Quote Originally Posted by ownedbymack
    Now, if you have an electric 20-foot-tall fence surrounding your home with burgular bars and a security system I would be worried!
    So, I guess I should take that down?
    Last edited by Nell's Mom; 01-05-2006 at 08:37 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

ChumleyPug is offline Village Admiral

I do understand your concern, and as a potential buyer I don't think it would be my first thought that the neighborhood is unsafe. I think I would look for other signs of an unsafe neighborhood first. That being said, my only concern would be a fire or something where someone would need to rescue your pugs and they are locked in.
    Jeanne

Mom to...
    Chumley - my heart-pug
    Loki - our sweet new fawn boy
    Chloe - our gentle & beautiful Springer Spaniel

and Cooper, my first love and grumpy-bear Cocker Spaniel who now watches over us from the Rainbow Bridge. Rest in peace big guy. We love and miss you. (Aug 30, 94 - Jun 23, 08)

Quote Originally Posted by ChumleyPug
    I do understand your concern, and as a potential buyer I don't think it would be my first thought that the neighborhood is unsafe. I think I would look for other signs of an unsafe neighborhood first. That being said, my only concern would be a fire or something where someone would need to rescue your pugs and they are locked in.
    I did think of that and discussed it with Kyle and we figured that 1) if the fire dept. is there, they certainly have the equipment to cut the lock or the cages open and 2) if it's a bystander going in, I'd hope they'd just pull them out, cage and all. But, yes that was a concern but I figured with people in and out of the house all the time the theft risk was bigger than the fire risk.

ChumleyPug is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Nell's Mom
    I did think of that and discussed it with Kyle and we figured that 1) if the fire dept. is there, they certainly have the equipment to cut the lock or the cages open and 2) if it's a bystander going in, I'd hope they'd just pull them out, cage and all. But, yes that was a concern but I figured with people in and out of the house all the time the theft risk was bigger than the fire risk.
    That is a good point. I didn't think about the fire dept. being able to cut the lock. And yes, I would think a bystander would just pick up the whole cage. I think the buyers will hardly notice the lock, and you should do it if it puts your mind at ease!
    Jeanne

Mom to...
    Chumley - my heart-pug
    Loki - our sweet new fawn boy
    Chloe - our gentle & beautiful Springer Spaniel

and Cooper, my first love and grumpy-bear Cocker Spaniel who now watches over us from the Rainbow Bridge. Rest in peace big guy. We love and miss you. (Aug 30, 94 - Jun 23, 08)

I don't think that people would see that as weird...personally, I'd be worried that they'd let the dogs out so they could meet them and then one of the pugs gets outside...or they can't catch them to put them back in the crate...or they have a little kid that gets knocked over by a very excited/welcoming pug...you never know what might happen when you're not there. Being a recent home-buyer, I'd see that as the owner just being cautious for the prospective-buyer's sake...several homes we looked at had the dogs locked up...besides, hopefully the buyers will be so excited about your house, that they won't even notice the lock!

Ummmm Amanda... If someone was really set on stealing the pugs... Couldn't they just take the whole cage or do you have that bolted to the ground???

Quote Originally Posted by PugsleyandOzzysmom
    Ummmm Amanda... If someone was really set on stealing the pugs... Couldn't they just take the whole cage or do you have that bolted to the ground???
    You sound like Kyle! Yes, they could but I'd hope they wouldn't want to go through that trouble. Ok, so the plan isn't foolproof but it makes me feel better. Also, as Erin said, I don't want people taking them out of their crates to play with them, etc.

Imon is offline Village Turtle Lady

If I were worried about a home being in an unsafe neighborhood, I'd look for triple-locks on the doors and windows, not locks on the dog crates.

You might want to tell your realtors that the dogs are on restricted diets so that no one decides to give them a treat in your absence.

I know Otto would be going crazy if strangers were in and out while we were not home (he doesn't like it when we are home!), so I hope your home sells quickly.

I'd be more concerned that a dog could get our or be let out of a crate than anything else, so I agree with your approach.

Also, when my daughter was looking at apartments, and we were going through properties with real estate agents, they surely wouldn't have let us walk out with anything from the home, especially a 20-pound barking dog in a crate. If you are dealing with reputable agents, who I believe are bonded, I don't think anyone would steal the dogs. I might worry about a dog-loving buyer letting them out to "play" or because a dog "shouldn't be in a cage all day" (little do they know that some dogs like being in their crates).
    Last edited by Imon; 01-05-2006 at 09:01 AM.
    Otto's mom (also known as Linda)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast