Can I fly with an 8 week old pug puppy in-cabin?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Can I fly with an 8 week old pug puppy in-cabin?

mgp123 is offline New to the Village

Default Can I fly with an 8 week old pug puppy in-cabin?

Hi all,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. We are living in Boise and buying a puppy from a breeder in the Houston area. This is our fourth pug (ever), so we're familiar with the breed, but not with pug puppies as all of our pugs until now were "previously enjoyed" before coming to live with us. I had assumed that an 8-week old pug puppy would be just as safe as any puppy I'd ever seen previously flying in-cabin...but now as I research any possible health/safety concerns, it seems that there may actually be some concerns of both puppies and brachycephalic breeds, in general, even in-cabin. (E.g. Darcy the Frenchie: https://abcnews.go.com/US/plane-crew...ry?id=56436659) It's a 4 hour direct flight from Houston to Boise vs. 28 hour drive, but we'll only fly if there is abundant evidence that an 8.5 week old pug puppy will not be at risk.

So the question is: does anyone have experience with a very young (8 or 9 week old) puppy flying in-cabin?

Thanks for any experience and/or guidance you can share.

Mike and Breanne
    P.S. Sorry for saying "in-cabin" 100 times but I just wanted to make it abundantly clear we're NOT remotely considering cargo.
    Suri likes this.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Hi and welcome to PugVillage! It's great that you are doing your "homework" and making sure that it will be safe for your new puppy to fly. I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure someone here will. Member "Tuck and Ag's Mom" flies frequently with her two pugs, Lolli and Murphy. So perhaps she will know about pug puppies in cabin?
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug and Noodles the Frenchie
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Hello and to PugVillage. Glad you have officially joined us. Have you checked with the different airlines to see if they allow puppies/dogs in cabin? Would someone be flying with the puppy? I appreciate that you are doing your homework and being cautious. Wish I had some answers for you but as you figure things out please update us as you can.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I've never flown with a puppy that young. Can I ask who you are getting the puppy from? The breeder should know....as well as the airline. Many airlines have changed their rules on dogs flying in the cabin.
    Suri and GordonBrunoPugMom like this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Tuck and Ag's Mom is offline Village Royalty

Hi and welcome. The quick answer is yes you can fly with an 8 week old pug in cabin, you will need a carrier that must fit under the seat in front of you, you also need to have a reservation in advance and pay the associated fee. I have never flown with an 8 week old though, mine have been almost 11 weeks. I would recommend the following, if possible send a toy ahead of time to the breeder so it can be played with and absorb the scents of the pugs fur family, then put that toy in the carrier with the pet. I would bring potty pads, kibble (only give small amount) a small bowl and a blanket in case the pup gets cold, I would also put a little karo syrup or a small amount of honey in a small container just in case the puppy gets lethargic or exhibits signs of low blood sugar. You generally are not allowed to remove the pet from the carrier during the flight, since it is so young I would check on it quite often though.
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy
    Forever in my heart Aggie, Tucker and Frank

mgp123 is offline New to the Village

Thank you all. I'm getting from an AKC breeder in Deer Park, TX, and you're right, that's a good question for the breeder, don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. I checked the airlines, and in addition to fees and check-in, restrictions include age (minimum 8 to 10 weeks, depending on who you're flying with, but must be prepared to prove it) and size (must fit under seat), and I think proof of shots and a health certificate must be presented. I'll be sure to dot every "i" and cross every "t" before making reservations. (And we would definitely be flying with the puppy.)

@ Tuck and Ag's Mom: I love the idea of sending a toy ahead...I'm even thinking of sending the *carrier* ahead so the puppy can get used to it before we arrive. Someone on another forum suggested a hamster bottle for hydration, I thought that was smart. And the karo syrup/honey, great idea! Glad to hear your 11 week old handled it no problem.

Tuck and Ag's Mom is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by mgp123 View Post
    Thank you all. I'm getting from an AKC breeder in Deer Park, TX, and you're right, that's a good question for the breeder, don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. I checked the airlines, and in addition to fees and check-in, restrictions include age (minimum 8 to 10 weeks, depending on who you're flying with, but must be prepared to prove it) and size (must fit under seat), and I think proof of shots and a health certificate must be presented. I'll be sure to dot every "i" and cross every "t" before making reservations. (And we would definitely be flying with the puppy.)

@ Tuck and Ag's Mom: I love the idea of sending a toy ahead...I'm even thinking of sending the *carrier* ahead so the puppy can get used to it before we arrive. Someone on another forum suggested a hamster bottle for hydration, I thought that was smart. And the karo syrup/honey, great idea! Glad to hear your 11 week old handled it no problem.
    You won’t need vaccination records and it would be hard to put a hamster bottle in one of the approved carriers so I wouldn’t bother with that. Most major airports have a pet relief area but since your pup would be too young to be exposed to other dogs I wouldn’t use that I would either find an empty quiet area of the terminal where you can lay out a potty pad or in a restroom stall that you can corral him/her and let the pup use that prior to boarding the aircraft, then I would also offer water and a few pieces of kibble prior to boarding. I would also not let people pet or hold your pup , the pup will already have enough going on with leaving the family and traveling etc.
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy
    Forever in my heart Aggie, Tucker and Frank

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

Welcome, and great advise, the kart syrup is a good idea, maybe a sweater if he gets cold.A friend suggested old newspapers to put on the floor if he needs to walk around( to keep pup germ free),and for the drive home if you stop at any rest stops.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Rugbysmom like this.
    Susan, mom to Desi, Lucy and Finn

Honoring Sruffy,Bo, Maggie Mae, Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Default Can I fly with an 8 week old pug puppy in-cabin?

I have took dogs with me flying .
    I really think 8 weeks is young for any puppy. Just my personal opinion. I would never get a pup under 12 week let alone take it on an airplane. I actually question the breeder letting the pups fly this young. AKC means nothing to be honest I seen many puppy mill advertising on AKC Breeder referral page. I know puppies fly every day and I am happy you will pick up the puppy yourself so as long as you have the ticket for the pup you should be fine. Make sure you got the right carrier the sizes vary from airline to airline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by GordonBrunoPugMom; 01-13-2021 at 12:16 AM.

sassismom is offline Village Original Southern Dame

Welcome no advice on flying just know that there are some learning issues from 8 12 weeks like biting mom usually nips them and 12 weeks is suggested by most vets as they are more mature.

Hope all goes wonderfully can't wait for pictures and tales of adventures with the new pup.

There was once a member here from Deer Park Cowboy Pugs it would be a blast if that is where the pup comes from but I don't know if they are still breeding.
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow My Sweet Babies until we meet again at the Bridge Sassi (1998 - 2011) Angus (2005 - 2017) Meelah (2005 - 2018) Sissi (2011 - 2019) Cecil (2018 - 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast