So so cold-paw treatments
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: So so cold-paw treatments

Bustersmom is offline Village Governor

Default So so cold-paw treatments

thought I would report in on paw treatments to help with cold weather/snow. Epic failure. Tried two of the best. No difference.
    With these extreme temps Odie is going about halfway to go out to potty and then lifting up various paws. He was carried home this am with no potty success. We are now attempting quick trips out the side door and back in.I think its been 13 hrs since last time he went potty. Its 0 degrees here today with a high of 14. Just a coating of snow though. So we will just have to wait it out-hoping eventually the need to go will overcome the cold. He is such a good little dog and regimented to his schedule with zero potty issues-so we just have to remain patient and see it thru. Know many others in the great NE are under the same circumstances. Stay warm everyone!!

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Poor baby! Stay warm.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

For the last 5-6 years...when it gets icey or really cold (we're below 0 here with wind chill) I close off my yard...I have a deck and there's cement by my garage. I put straw down for them!!! Keeps their feet warmer and gives them a place to potty!!!! It works really well for me! Got the idea from a friend that lived in Alaska! If you don't have an area like that....see if you can block in a smaller area by your doorway....and put some straw down!!! I have to go out in a few as 3 have pooped on my deck and I don't like to look at it!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Thanks so much! I will definitely look into that-we have a nice opening outside our side door from garage but this morning it was a no go! But we did not have straw out there! I took him out for the 4th time and he pooped-then came right back in and waited 15 mins and out we went again and he peed. Thank goodness! But we will see how tonight goes! Yep below zero here this morning as well-it is now 7 degrees!! Yikes!! You guys stay warm!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Rugbysmom like this.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by shaynapug View Post
    I have to go out in a few as 3 have pooped on my deck and I don't like to look at it!
    Minni has used our deck for her personal potty since contracting diabetes. I feed her so much more in the effort to get some more weight on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

Sunshyne is offline Village VP

I feel you, we're in Mass and it's SO cold!!! Following for advice!
    Me on Facebook, my Love/Hate website:
    http://www.facebook.com/editaccount....62&ref=profile

I heard from my friend today who has two shiztus and same thing-I think if the temp here reaches a certain point there is very little you can do but go in and out a zillion times. The suggestion of straw is a good one I will try but we get them into such a regime and then its broken and they don't know what to do and we do not either. My friend went out and bought booties-Nope-no go so back to square one-I feel for her as they have two to carry home and we have the one (fluffy one) !! We just have to get thru it the best we can-another surge of frigid air is coming this weekend. To be certain, he can tolerate it pretty low -but minus zero and all bets are off!! I wanted to add that I was so disappointed in the paw treatments I purchased-to read the hype-it would withstand the Alaska dog sled marathon. Then again maybe I just have an extra "delicate flower"! ha!

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Bustersmom View Post
    I heard from my friend today who has two shiztus and same thing-I think if the temp here reaches a certain point there is very little you can do but go in and out a zillion times. The suggestion of straw is a good one I will try but we get them into such a regime and then its broken and they don't know what to do and we do not either. My friend went out and bought booties-Nope-no go so back to square one-I feel for her as they have two to carry home and we have the one (fluffy one) !! We just have to get thru it the best we can-another surge of frigid air is coming this weekend. To be certain, he can tolerate it pretty low -but minus zero and all bets are off!! I wanted to add that I was so disappointed in the paw treatments I purchased-to read the hype-it would withstand the Alaska dog sled marathon. Then again maybe I just have an extra "delicate flower"! ha!
    My guys go in and out. I've never had a problem with any dogs adjusting to going on the straw! They like it! Stormy's 8 1/2 yr old daughter was here last week for 10 days during the start of the really cold weather...she had no problem going on the straw with the yard closed off. I get it at a pet store.. It's clean and in a bundle for dog houses and other pets!

I'm bad.... There was cement with a roof covering it attached to the garage when I moved in. My neighbor saw that the cement between the house and the garage dipped...so....While I paid for the material...he built a roof from the house to the garage.....I so didn't slip and slide in the winter when I went to work. Then...he closed it in with removeable wood over my privacy fency and from the deck too. Then.....we had a really windy year....so I started to put wood up between the supports for the roof over the cement between the cement and the lawn so the dogs would have a warmer spot to go. All the wood comes down in the spring. So...that is one area with the straw!

I used the deck too when REALLY cold...but started it for when we got ice! Didn't want my guys running out and down to the second deck and getting hurt!
    Last edited by shaynapug; 01-11-2022 at 07:41 PM.
    Bustersmom and Wonka & Nilla like this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

That sounds like an amazing area! Here we can take alot of cold but as we always say its the gosh darn wind that just kills us! OMG I did not realize you could buy straw at pet store! Will check that out! Thanks so very much!!

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Default So so cold-paw treatments

We eventually will move to a winter cold region. Hubby and I keep talking about the Pugs in winter. Of course I told hubby we need a covered, enclosed with heated floor potty station. I doubt this will happen! Anyway we are using a Porch potty have been using it for about 18 years. It is under the covered part of the porch right now. Our solution will be a separate area in the garage with a Porch potty or even 2. Of course our boys are trained to go on it that makes it easy.
    One year we had so much snow and Gordon was defiant. I pushed a little on his bladder (I had a vet show me ) and that certainly helped with get him started for pee.
    Surprisingly how long they can hold when it is cold and wet. But when the weather is good they have to go urgently every hour.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast