Am I a Victorian Pug?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Am I a Victorian Pug?

Default Am I a Victorian Pug?

Elroy has always (5 months, ha!) been thinner and longer-legged than other pugs we meet. We meet pugs with big square heads and short legs. they have the classic cube-shape that the breed is known for. Last week, someone told us that he might be a "victorian pug." I hadn't heard the term, so I looked it up on google. There wasn't much info, but I did find this item on ebay with a picture:

that picture looks a lot like Elroy!! It even has the crooked ears (one up, one down.)

That's my baby, little-head.

Have you heard of a Victorian Pug?

Milosmom is offline Village Royalty

I've never heard of a Victorian Pug but Elroy sure is a cutie...
    My Remington has a tiny head, long legs and a slimmer frame but it's hard to know if he'll fill out in time or not. He also holds his ears up quite ofton.
    Sarah
    ~*Mickey, Milo & Dragos Mom*~
    Always missing *^Remi Pug^ & ^Loli Pom^*

tocents is offline Village Bug Shutterbug

How darling-he's a very beautiful little pug. My newest rescue Walter is a senior and terribly thin but it's evident that, even when he fills out, he's built "differently" from Rascal-even the ears and they way he holds them...
    Cathy, Dino Bambino the Lawless Terrier, Laura-Lovey the Pug Diva and Sparky Boo Boo, the Pug Mutt

And playing together at The Bridge
    Bubba Chunk, Gentleman and Scholar
    Lucy the Beagledor
    Liza, the sweet little bundle of good nature
    Big Roxie
    Barney the Wonderbug
    Whompin' Stompin' Walter-A Legend in His Own Mind
    Sweet Rascal Joe

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

My Dora is a tall skinny girl compared to most pugs. She's also a lot darker. I don't know anything about her being victorian though...

pugtwinsmom is offline Village Admiral

I thought the term was in reference to years and years ago..when you look at pug pictures they were built different..long legged, thinner. etc. You see the look in old, antique pictures.

O' looks like that but it is just his breeding. His parents weren't the pug standard, so now i have a pug that is definitely not the standard.
    Jennifer, and mama's princesses--
    Tessie, a tiny, black diva,
    Zoe- my slobberin' lovable english bulldog--with selective hearing

Miss Pugg is offline Village Admiral

Default Victorian Pug

I once saw a picture of a Willoughby Pug (another name, they said for a Victorian Pug). Yes, they are longer legged and thinner, even leaner looking. Lulu was definately one of the older type looking Pugs while Phoebe, Buffy and Annie are more the 'modern' chunky squat heavier boned Pugs. I always called her my Willoughby Pug. Did you notice most of the Pugs being shown at Westminister seemed to have a big roll of fat over their shoulders?
    Joanne and now Pugless. My heartdog, Lulu Pug, waits at the Bridge along with Josie and Jasmine, Boston Terriers, Annie, Phoebe and Buffy Pugs, all rescues except for Josie and Lulu. I miss you all so much, my little furry friends. You are living always in my heart and mind. Slumber on, girls. Now living with Ivy, a Boston Terrier, Sassy, rescue Papillion/Doxie. and Ginger, my funny Doxie rescue.
    JoJo's Dogs

Puglove2 is offline Village Dr. McSweetie

i've never heard of a victorian pug before but your guy sure is cute! i like the old poster too!
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. (Roger Caras)

Charlie on Dogster - Our angel, taken too soon, waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge - Please check out the CREATE fund for GME research in Yorkies
    http://www.yorkieangelpatrol.com/gme.htm
    http://www.dogster.com/?99046

Winston on Dogster
    http://www.dogster.com/?99048

Basil on Dogster
    http://www.dogster.com/?167623

Violet on Dogster
    http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=309585

And now Milo, the puppy that made us smile again.
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/658530

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Pugg
    . Did you notice most of the Pugs being shown at Westminister seemed to have a big roll of fat over their shoulders?
    aww!! Frank has the fat rolls too...lol, I just call them his love handles...i

chumley Guest

I too have read about the victorian pugs..Chumley is also more the look of a victorian..They also say victorian pugs personalities are a little more high strung (Chumley is) and can be a little aggresive, which Chumley is when wound up in his hyper stage..They say the standard is the mellow cobbley looking puglet and Victorian with a bit more of a snout and long legs and body....

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

Anthropologists differentiate bone structure as gracile (thinner) or robust (heavier bone mass). While I only have one gracile pug on the place, I am sure that Pug X will welcome another special enobling title---Willoughby Pug.

+ Reply to Thread