Do you pick your pug up by his back fat? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you pick your pug up by his back fat?

FourteenLegs is offline Village Diva

Can you print this off, and hand it to the man with the pug at the dog park? I fear for his pug.........

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Check out the PugVillage Books - buy one from HERE and help rescue.

Rona and the Principessas Imogen and Pearl. Holding in our hearts forever LouLou and Puck who have been reunited at the Bridge.
    All my babies at the Bridge - LouLou, Puck, Piaff, Donato, Persia, Dragon, Smugs, (Pugs) and Madam and her son Woolfie (horses).

I don't pick Shorty up by it, but if he is sitting down on my lap I will pick it up and see how he looks if he had no fatty mane. I don't hurt him. He looks at me like . So I don't do it alot. He probably thinks the same about me and my fatty pockets and what he would do!

Is it true that you can cause damage to a pug's eyes by picking them up this way? I think I read that somewhere on the internet, that someone picked up their pug quickly this way and an eye popped out or something...

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Blanche is offline Village Gaia

"Scruffing" is an old and very outdated theory of dog training. When I first started working with dogs, most of the training techniques were rough--jerk, pop, snap, scruff and they went along with the tools--choke chains, pinch collars, shank leashes. Most of these methods have since been debunked as not helpful and often harmful. Many were based on what mother dogs do with their puppies, but we don't do it as well as mother dogs and it's not appropriate for adult dogs.

I have seen more damage done to dogs from "scruffing" than almost any other "discipline" approach.

It's good that you asked--how else would you know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. And twenty years ago--scruffing was considered a perfectly acceptable training method. We know better now. Don't censor your posts because we might get upset. Ask questions--and yes, we might get upset, but mostly not at you, but at the antiquated Ideas about training that persist.

LindaR/pugma is offline Village Governor

Rona is right, that skin can pull away from the underlying muscle or whatever it is attached to. When I first got Gracie she and Zoe were vying for the alpha position and Gracie grabbed Zoe by the skin on her back and shook it and it pulled loose. She had a huge hemotoma the size of my fist and it took a long time to heal. I know she was in some real pain because of it.
    Linda

Owned by Zoe, Abby, Ally & Gracie and most recently Buddy

I would never do this to any dog, cat, or animal. People talk of dogs carrying their puppies this way, but never once did I see Lily carry either of her puppies around. She gently nuzzled them to where she wanted them to go. Even now, with Manny at 3 months of age she gets him to do what she wants by gently nipping at him or growling. If that man had made that comment to me I would have asked him how he would feel if I grabbed him by certain "loose" skin of his and lift him up. I would hope he got the idea it wouldn't feel well.

If I can't be picked up by my back fat then neither can my dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Peluchin
    Is it true that you can cause damage to a pug's eyes by picking them up this way? I think I read that somewhere on the internet, that someone picked up their pug quickly this way and an eye popped out or something...
    This is completely true. My niece Jemma's pug, Buddah was picked up by the scruff of his neck by her Dad whilst she was out at work and Buddah's eye popped out. He subsequently lost the eye after weeks of painful surgery. A wonderful healthy 2 year old pug disabled for life by a thoughtless action. Please NEVER EVER pick up pugs this way.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by Kiadli
    This is completely true. My niece Jemma's pug, Buddah was picked up by the scruff of his neck by her Dad whilst she was out at work and Buddah's eye popped out. He subsequently lost the eye after weeks of painful surgery. A wonderful healthy 2 year old pug disabled for life by a thoughtless action. Please NEVER EVER pick up pugs this way.
    What a horrible story. Poor Buddah.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

eclecticmk is offline Village Admiral

There is a reason mom dogs stop doing this at some point to their puppies. Just because we are strong enough to lift an adult in this manner, I don't think it's a good thing. TPTB also say it's ok to do it to cats, but I hold with the same theory.
    Margie and her pugs: Miss Molly Malone, Clancy O'Shay OA MXJ NF & Aoife Meadhbh MacKenna OAJ NF

My blog: http://eclecticmk.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast