can pugs swim? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: can pugs swim?

Pug of Perfection is offline Village VP

We just got our pool filled again after being damaged. The girls started taking Rumy in the pool supervised. One will get in the deep end and lower him in and he'll swim to the swallow end and get out of the pool by the steps. We are purposefully training him to know where to get out by himself (like I did with the kids when they were little). I wanted him to know just in case he fell in while chasing the cats or running around. He doesn't really sink like I thought he would. We do have a life jacket which I would use if we were out more (as the weather gets warmer).

That said, he really does like the pool. I think the only thing he doesn't like is the temperature because it's still a little cool here, but otherwise, he enjoys playing with the girls. The best thing is his "crazy pug" routine he does after he gets out (I think y'all call it a "pugtona", hahah!)
    Mommy to Daruma Gene, the Pug of Perfection...and Roxi Lou, my sweet crazy furkid.

Always missing my sweet baby grandpug, Montgomery Marie - I will someday see you at the Rainbow Bridge, my sweet little girl - (05/25/07-08/13/10 - victim to PDE)

never2manypugs is offline Village Royalty

Get a fence around that pool!!
    I have seen way too many puppies and older dogs drown. Don't take any chances!
    I think if you have a fenced pool, then yes slowly introduce your pug to the water and teach him/her the way to the steps and how to get out. Only allow the pug in the water with you right there watching just like a human baby. Most pugs can't swim very well. My Roxie is the only one who even liked the pool (temp. above ground) to even go in. And she must wear her life preserver.

In AZ we have lots of drowning - both human and canine and all preventable.
    Pam - owned by Roxie (almost 12 yrs) , Lola (14 yrs), and Olivia (almost 9 yrs)

And Taylor, who showed me how to be loved by a pug,waits at the bridge. Mommy loves you! You will forever be in my heart.
    And never to forget, the sweetest pug ever Tasha who is at the bridge with her sister.
    And very sadly now, my baby boy Boris.

Love is to wake up cuddling a pug.

There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those.
    -- Author Unknown

momluvzozzy is offline Village VP

My boys are not fond of the water.. We were in Maine one weekend and the boys got really dirty from playing the yard so we had to rinse them off in the lake. The water was only knee deep and here is a pic of my Ozzy trying to swim..

Kristen, Chopper, Osbourne and Mugsy
    I LOVE MY PUGS!

Visit Ozzy on Dogster http://www.dogster.com/?38858
    Visit Chop on Dogster http://www.dogster.com/?38860

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Pugletsx4 is offline Village Puppy

We have a pool and all of my pugs can swim. Lillie was a natural and the others needed to be taught. They really enjoy being in the water with us in the summer. They all have life jackets too because sometimes there are just to many people in and around the pool to watch them closely. I have several that are as bad as little kids. They're run and jump in only to swim to the steps, get out and do it all over again.

Mine are really good and only go in the pool when we're sitting around it. That said I never leave them out in the yard unattended. I know my neighbors think I'm looney because I'm even out there with them in the rain. You just never know when something is going to happen and one may fall in. Right now the water is so cold they'd go into shock very quickly.
    Wanda
    Mom to Pugs Lillie (10yrs) and Laci (5 yrs), Lanie (3yr) and Leo (3yr)
    Vet Liaison - http://www.rescuepug.com/

Definately put a fence around your pool, or if its a public one, make sure you have your eyes on your pug at all times! My sister had a pug drown in their pool, it had gotten out of the house by accident and was trained to swim in the pool, but they came out into the yard and found her dead in the pool. CAUTION!!

ViralMD is offline None

My parents have a pool at their country home. And I don't let Cyril anywhere near it - actually he hates being wet, so it's not a matter of him wanting to go in. If he was in the pool it'd be because he fell or slipped in. If we're sitting outdoors by the pool he wears his lifejacket at all times.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

Mine sink... I personally know of three pugs who have drowned in pools. Get a fence or never let them in the same area as the pool, why take a chance?

puggiemom is offline Village Puppy

I would just be very careful with the pugs around water. We had a pool at our old house. Mandy swims like a fish although she swims so much & so hard that she gets very tired. Heisman hates swimming & is terrified of water. He did fall in the pool (I swear Mandy pushed him in lol) once. I had my back turned cutting some flowers & fortunately heard the splash. He went under several times before I could grab his collar but thank goodness I got him out in time (and thank goodness I didn't have to jump in after him because it was 50 degrees outside & that water would've been COLD lol.) No pool at our new house but we're thinking of building one; I wonder if Mandy can still swim.
    Carol, Heisman & Mandy

CountryGal is offline Village Admiral

I was walking Jade a couple days ago and she walked right into one of my ponds! The area she walked down into was pretty covered with roots as it won't be cleaned until it warms up--so she might have thought it was the ground.

It's also very shallow there and of course, she was on her leash. It happened so fast and I grabbed her before she even got more than her feet wet but it was a wake up call for me to never let her off leash outside.

I plan on getting her a child's wading pool this summer to let her cool off for a few minutes when we're outside.

Pat (CountryGal)
    Mommy to Bo-born 6-15-09
    Forever Mommy to our angel girls:
    Chyna Jade: April 08 2007-June 24 2009
    Jade: November 13 2005-June 28 2007
    You will be forever in my heart.

http://hooterville-holler.blogspot.com

snort is offline Village Admiral

I got Sherman in the heat of summer. I bought him a kiddie pool to keep him cool, he has been swimming since he was 9 weeks old and is a VERY strong swimmer. He will stay in the lake for hours, swimming with all the labs and retreivers. Everyone comments on how funny he looks as he swims out to retrieve sticks. I will always teach my dogs to swim from a young age so that they dont develop a fear of water.
    Even though he is a little fish, I keep a very close eye on him, never let him out of my sight. I just read ( on Boxerworld) about a person who had a pool, taught their boxer to swim and how to get over to the pool steps, took every precaution, and found their boxer drowned in the pool, so sad.
    Be careful...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast