How long can your pug go on walks for???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How long can your pug go on walks for???

THMINIS is offline Village VP

Question How long can your pug go on walks for???

Okay, Reggie is a few pounds overweight, well maybe a few more than a few. Before hand, it never truely was an issue b/c he could stand the walks fine and wasn't affected by it. Now that we have Bella, though, she drains all of his energy. He acts like he is 12 now instead of 2, and I can't help thinking/knowing that if he lost some weight he would be happier and have more energy. I want to increase his walks b/c I think that might do the trick. The problem is, I don't know how far I can take him w/o pushing it, or how far he should be able to go. I know to avoid times of day that are hot, so that won't be an issue. But how far/long can your pug safely walk for? Also, anyone have any weight lost suggestions for a pug? Has anyone helped their pug loose weight??

Thanks guys!

I want Reggie to have the best life possible
    -Theresa-
    Proud Mom of Reggie & Bella & missing Rocky, the pug who pugged everyone he met

I take my boys on a 15 minute walk, usually they make it (depending on the weather FL) but if is too long I usually have to pick Keno up even though he is skinier than pancho. I also carry water just in case of overheating.

lawpug is offline Village Royalty

Gracie is very trim and loves to go for walks. We sometimes go for strolls around the neighborhood that last an hour, though we haven't done those in quite some time, due to the heat. Usually, she goes for about 15 mins, but she is not even close to tired by that point. The heat has been hard for her because she isn't getting enough excercise and she is going a little nutty. I came home from work yesterday and today to her waiting by the door w/ the leash in her mouth (and I thought that only happened in movies!). Today she even howled at me, she wanted her walk so bad!

For your guy, I would just gradually increase his walk times, nothing drastic. So add maybe 5 mins for the next week, then another 5 mins on top of that the next week, and so on. Like people, doggie weight loss should be gradual to be healthy, no crash dieting or manic excercise sessions!
    Last edited by lawpug; 07-26-2006 at 06:26 PM.
    GordonBrunoPugMom likes this.
    ~Jen~
    mom to Gracie and Jack

Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
    ~Thomas Jefferson~

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Miss Pugg is offline Village Admiral

Default walks

My dogs are well known around town for their regular walks but with this heat, we have had to curtail most walking. They would normally go for 20 to 30 minutes in the a.m. and again in the aft. or eve. Buffy and Annie Pug both needed to lose weight and they went from a fluffy 23 lbs. down to 18 lbs. I used salt free string beans in place of part of their kibble. They didn't like it at first but soon came to crave it (or so they told me as they whispered in my ear *G*). Now they no longer have the beans and the longer walks so I expect the weight to creep back but once it gets cooler, away we walk again. At rehab today, I noticed I got up to 300 miles today, started in November. I was pleased.
    Joanne and now Pugless. My heartdog, Lulu Pug, waits at the Bridge along with Josie and Jasmine, Boston Terriers, Annie, Phoebe and Buffy Pugs, all rescues except for Josie and Lulu. I miss you all so much, my little furry friends. You are living always in my heart and mind. Slumber on, girls. Now living with Ivy, a Boston Terrier, Sassy, rescue Papillion/Doxie. and Ginger, my funny Doxie rescue.
    JoJo's Dogs

Tugg's Mom is offline Village Mayor

Mr. Tugg, well he just will walk and walk. He goes for a 15 min walk in the morning. Weather permitting he will go out for about an hour mid-day with my mom. My husband takes him up to Dorchester Heights and he stays out for at least an hour. (This is when he meets his buddies and plays). We always carry H20 for him. Right now as with all the Pugs because of the heat his walks have been adjusted.
    I know that 3 miles is nothing for him when the climate is good.
    Tugg's Mom
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/354284 - Where you can find me and my family.

jwestoverpug is offline Village Royalty

Mine love walking, I don't think they'll ever stop, as long as I'm walking, they're walking.

Most days they go to the park for at least an hour.

Weight loss: cut the kibble back and replace it with plain green beans

Jesse

SallyAndTilly is offline Village Model's Mom & Photo Nut

Tilly and I go for a walk everyday. It usually lasts 20-30 minutes more or less depending on who we run into. LOL We go at a good pace, we don't stroll.

Karl Ellzey is offline Dad to a lot of pugs!

When Zeus was a puppy I walked him and the 90 lb shepherd. Halfway through to the turnaround point, he'd poop out and "demand" to be carried... until we turned around and headed back. Then he wanted down and would "tow" us back home.

Now that Zeus is 10 months and nearly fully grown, we generally go about 15 minutes total. Enought for a poopee and 5 to 10 bush markings.
    Karl Ellzey

Dad to Zeus, Titan, Hera, Apollo, and Luna

^Olympia^, ^Cleo^ , and ^Euro^ at the Rainbow Bridge

Blanche is offline Village Gaia

Bob and Koko--being old and disabled have two half hour walks a day. the morning one is an actual walk, the second evening one is at a park with lots of pugs around so although we're there an hour, I figure Bob and Koko are actually only walking for 30 minutes total.

The rest of the gang go for an hour in the morning and do the pug park in the evening.

All of this varies with the weather, of course. In the hot weather--their morning walk is usually EARLY--like 5:30 a.m. and the evening park excursion is at 8 p.m.

My guys get 3 ozs of raw in the morning for breakfast and 1/4 - 1/3 cup of kibble at night. No one is overweight.

Jen
    Jen is offline Village Mayor

We have gone on walks up to about an hour and a half. We started off slow in the beginning but they are now so used to long walks they are having problems adjusting since we can't go on as long of walks now b/c of the heat. I do make sure to bring a water bottle with a bowl and stop for drinks multiple times. For the weight issue maybe you could cut down on the amount of food he gets.
    Jen

Owned by: Puggles and Emma

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast