How long can your pug go on walks for??? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How long can your pug go on walks for???

Lemon is offline Village Admiral

It's amazing how much a little weight can affect them. Lemon gained a pound and a half over the winter. She still had lots of energy, but she wasn't pugtonaing like she does now that the weight is off.

When it's cool out, we go on hour-long walks at a fast pace, mixed up with trips to the park. But in the summer, I'm really careful. If it's over 80°, we're not out for more than 15 minutes. She gets her exercise inside on those days, with lots of fetch and tug. Oh, and she eats no more than 1/2 - 2/3 cup a day.
    Kathleen (and Lemon, too!)

©Amanda Jones Photography

Pugdawg1 is offline Village Baker

During the winter, we do a fast paced two miles.. during the summer, walks are next to nonexistent. Even in the cooler evenings it's just too warm for my guys right now. Once it cools off, we'll start our long walks again. They need it, poor things are getting cabin fever.
    Marnie & Winston
    Always and forever missing her Oscar.

Leelu is quite trim. She gets most of her exercise inside with fetch for extended periods of time. 30 calories per pound per day is the rule I learned here. It has kept her quite svelte. How many calories per day is Reggie getting?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

THMINIS is offline Village VP

Quote Originally Posted by Leelu's Mom
    How many calories per day is Reggie getting?

I honestly don't know...
    The problem is, Reggie gets free feed, and having Bella now doesn't make stopping that easier. He won't eat when the food is just put out, so I pick it up. Then Bella gets feed and he will eat some of that. OR she will try to eat his and then not eat hers and all of a sudden they are eatting out of one bowl and I have no clue how much either of them are eatting.
    -Theresa-
    Proud Mom of Reggie & Bella & missing Rocky, the pug who pugged everyone he met

Penny is a bit chubby, so we walk early in the morning and late at night in this weather. I am the limiting factor - when I start to wheeze, it's turn-around time. If it's over 80 degrees, she has her cooling collar on. She would go a whole lot farther than I can go. Last winter, when I put a sweater or sweat shirt on her, she would stay out walking for 45 minutes unless it was very cold (less than 25 degrees). I can appreciate your problem with feeding your furbabies - have you tried feeding them in separate rooms? A pain, I know, but at least you could limit the available time and know how much they are eating.

when its really warm out marley and i go on short walks, about 10-15 minutes. when its nice out we go for about 30-45 minutes. on weekends when its nice we go to his favorite parks. usually we go for 2 hours but we of course take water breaks. theres also a stream where marley takes a quick dip

lisa woodruff is offline Village Admiral

Mine can go for an hour & 45 min when it's not hot. They are in their prime & 2 yrs old.
    Lisa Woodruff - Mom to Olive & Mochi
    A dog is a dog, but a pug is another person in your house.
    http://mochiolive.mypicgallery.com
    Copyright Amanda Jones Photography
    http:// web.mac.com/puggedx2

I have noticed Rosco has slowed down alot lately....we go around the block which is almost 1/2 a mile and rosco is panting and walking so slow during the home stretch.....

During the summer, early in the morning, a five minute walk is fine. Winston is a tall pug, so, people think he's fat. No, He is just TALL.
    I feed him 1/2 cup of dog food with a teaspoon of fat free yogurt. Green beans, yes, are good to trim the waistline. Free-feeding any dog is not such a great thing to do. If you can, cut back to 1/2 cup, and maybe a small snack after he wakes up from a nap. I've read most owners let their pugs go for a 15 to 30 minute walk or longer. If the pug is older ( 8 yrs. & up) , a fifteen minute walk will suffice.
    Last edited by Joanne24; 07-28-2006 at 01:41 PM.

jwestoverpug is offline Village Royalty

Joanne, I won't let Rudy know you said that. She a bit over 7 yrs. now, and goes absolutely insane if she can't get out to chase a tennis ball, for at least 40 minutes every day. She's clearly not your average pug!

Reggie and Bella's mom, How about feeding both of them in crates or separate areas? Just put the pre-measured (I feed no more than 1/3 C per meal) food down, and then pick it up after a few minutes.

Jesse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast