Pugs & Airplanes - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pugs & Airplanes

You guys are so helpful! I've always wondered about flying with Emma. I've always been to afraid to fly with her, so I've just ended up taking short trips and leaving her with a friend. Has anyone taken their pug out of the country (further than Canada) ? I've heard that you need to leave them in quarentine for a month, so I've never taken her out of the country.

Muscle's Mom is offline Village Governor

Thanks again for all the input and DON'T WORRY - I WOULD NEVER PUT HIM IN CARGO. I was just looking for feedback as to what others have done, what the options are and what experiences people have had. If I end up bringing him I will most definitely bring him in the cabin with me, he's definitely small enough for that.
    Muscle's Mom...and Gracie too!

Quote Originally Posted by emmapeanut
    You guys are so helpful! I've always wondered about flying with Emma. I've always been to afraid to fly with her, so I've just ended up taking short trips and leaving her with a friend. Has anyone taken their pug out of the country (further than Canada) ? I've heard that you need to leave them in quarentine for a month, so I've never taken her out of the country.
    It depends on where you are going. Australlia yes for the quarentine for a month. Some of the other countried have lifted the requirment. I just recently brough in my English Toy Spaniel from Finland and all she needed was a rabies cert and a health check to get into Canada.
    Annie(my English Toy Spaniel) and I had a 20 hour trip home. She did not make a peep ever during any of the flights. She had no accidents either. She is also a pushed in face breed. I do think it is different for every dog and that each dog will react differently.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

FourteenLegs is offline Village Diva

Not only do you need 4 weeks quarantine when they arrive in Australia, but they are under 6 months veterinary supervision before they leave, with series of various shots and health checks and certification. Also, no animal that flies into Australia can come in, flying in the cabin. They can only go in the hold. (Unless you charter a private jet - even then there are restrictions.) The crate they come in must also meet very strict specifications. Just recently someone on an Australian Pug forum imported two pugs from Europe, one from Italy and the other from Norway I believe. They both came on 22+ hour flights in the hold with no ill effects, and then straight into quarantine, BUT I WOULD NEVER SUGGEST IT IS OKAY!!! Unfortunately in Australia, if we want to fly our dogs anywhere, we do NOT have the option of taking them in the cabin. They are only allowed to fly in the hold. Many airlines now have many restrictions about flying flat faced dogs - it gets harder and harder, and obviously for a reason......

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Check out the PugVillage Books - buy one from HERE and help rescue.

Rona and the Principessas Imogen and Pearl. Holding in our hearts forever LouLou and Puck who have been reunited at the Bridge.
    All my babies at the Bridge - LouLou, Puck, Piaff, Donato, Persia, Dragon, Smugs, (Pugs) and Madam and her son Woolfie (horses).

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

Quote Originally Posted by Co-Pilot in Flight
    Well I think it depends on the Pug really. Co-Pilot flies with us in our own plane about twice a week (maybe you have seen the pics I have posted????) Traveling is something she loves as much as us, and we have been traveling with her since the day we got her so she is used to it.

I too would never put any live thing in cargo on a plane. If giving benedryl you should try it before the flight to be sure there is no adverse reaction.

Good luck!
    Sara, I'm thinking of taking a flight from Paris where I live to Jersey where my daughter lives, in a little Cessna (my son is a pilot) I'm thinking of taking Rosie but small aircraft are very noisy. Do you do anything particular for co-pilot, like ear-plugs? Is she loose or bagged? any other tips?
    I haven't decided yet but it would enrich my life is she was to accompany me. It would also mean I would visit more often if it meant Rosie came too.
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

H the P is offline Village Admiral

Rosiepug, I've tried to send you a PM - please clear your message box!!!
    H the P

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

Quote Originally Posted by H the P
    Rosiepug, I've tried to send you a PM - please clear your message box!!!
    Thanks.....Done
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

Lola's Mom is offline Village Royalty

My Lola is an old pro at flying with me. We lived in Houston for six months and flew home every weekend to Boston. That was three years ago. She still flies with us very often and she never makes a peep and sleeps the whole way. I think the humming noise puts her to sleep. It's funny because she hears the "ding" once we are at the gate and she knows I will open her bag and let her pop her head out as we deplane.

What I did was I would leave Lola's Sherpa bag out and sneak treats in it. I would have her jump in and out of her bag so I made it a happy place. I always had treats on hand to sneak one in if I needed to and I put a bone and toys in her bag as well. We never needed benadryl or anything to keep her calm.

Good luck with your travels.
    Kerrie, Lola and new foster failure brother Logan

jwestoverpug is offline Village Royalty

I've flown with pugs in the past, and they did fine. I think the key is to make sure they're used to being in the bag, and really like staying inside it.

I would start now, even if it is a long time before your flight. Take him everywhere in his sherpa bag...except not fun places like vets. You want him to be happy and excited when the bag comes out. I always brought something really good for them to chew on in the bag. Make sure he'll happily stay in the bag for at least as long as your flight, before you are actually are on the plane.

Jesse

TNPUGMOMOF2 is offline Village Royalty

When I flew with Lola I found out the night before that my husband would not be able to be home from a business trip in time for me to go on mine the next day, so I had to go get a bag one the way to the airport. Lola had never even been in a carrier, so I was a little worried about that. I brought her blanket and toys to make her confortable, but she was an angel. She was a little excited when we were taking off, but she settled right down and was out for the entire flight. I even went to the bathroom and she never even noticed I was gone! I wasn't able to take her out of the carrier or bring her out on a seat in the carrier sicne the flight was full, but I figured sicne she was doing so well I didn't want to tempt fate!
    Marci - pugmom to Lola, Bella, Hank & BIG brother Odin the English Mastiff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast