Pugs & Airplanes - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pugs & Airplanes

Muscle's Mom is offline Village Governor

That's a great idea about getting them used to being in the bag ahead of time, and if I bring him with me then I'll definitely do this so that he's completely comfortable being in there.
    Muscle's Mom...and Gracie too!

Co-Pilot in Flight is offline Village High Flying Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by Rosiepug
    Sara, I'm thinking of taking a flight from Paris where I live to Jersey where my daughter lives, in a little Cessna (my son is a pilot) I'm thinking of taking Rosie but small aircraft are very noisy. Do you do anything particular for co-pilot, like ear-plugs? Is she loose or bagged? any other tips?
    I haven't decided yet but it would enrich my life is she was to accompany me. It would also mean I would visit more often if it meant Rosie came too.
    To be honest Co-Pilot so far flies in our plane unrestricted and without ear protection, but funny you should mention it I am ordering a set of these for her Mutt Muffs:
    http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/cata...27/2311479.htm
    She flies with us regularly enought I do not want to damage her hearing long term. However in the plane we have it is a bit loud, but it was originally used in the 1970's without headsets, the pilots then used the intercom and handheld radio, so many before Co-Pilot have ridden in it without ear protection. Although Co-Pilot is not *anyone* so I am getting my baby her own headset

About her being unrestricted, well my feeling is that if the plane crashes, it won't really matter if she is wearing her seat belt harness She has a seat belt harness that she wears in the car and we could attach it to the seatbelt in the plane, but I just haven't.

My only question with Rosie, is you should do a trial run FOR SURE. Co-Pilot has been flying since she was 5 months old and at first the hum of the engine did put her to sleep, now she sleeps or just hangs out depends on her mood.

Can you take Rosie flying prior to the trip (which sounds long) to be sure she does not freak out in the plane? Please PM me with any other questions I would be happy to give you my email address.

Photo circa 2008!
    Sara: Mom to Co-Pilot(10), our pug girl and "her boys", Carter(8) and Cameron(4).

Co-Pilot on Dogster

www.dogster.com/dogs/324829 301.9

ViralMD is offline None

I would also enquire about vaccination requirements for Rosie if you're taking her from France to Jersey. There's likely NO rabies on Jersey, so if she doesn't yet have her UK animal passport, you're going to have to get her one, which requires vaccination within the past six months and testing for the presence of anti-rabies antibodies. It's a LONG procedure.

I think that leaving pugs home is often the kindest thing to do. Just talk to Kathleen, who was completely prepared.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

hypermike is offline Village VP

Reggie and I had to go from Boston to Pittsburgh, about a 600 mile trip. We did the safe thing and drove. Next time, we might try flying, but driving was so much easier. He's always my co-pilot in the car and does really well. I don't know how he'd respond to flying.

Hypermike
    Owned by Reggie
    View Reggie's blog

snort is offline Village Admiral

Ive flown with Sherman many times. As a matter of fact we are flying on Friday to visit some family. He has always been great, just snuggles in for a nap when we take off. The only time he gets restless is after we have landed and he knows we are getting off the plane, he usually squeeks a little bit but really seems to enjoy the flight. Dont know who you are planning on flying with but in my experience Westjet staff are fantastic ,helpful , and generally happy! Air Canada staff....well, Ive found many of them to be less than ideal with respect to customer service! One ticket agent from Air Canada actually refused us boarding unless we put Sherman in cargo because he said that Sherm didnt properly fit into his Sherpa Bag, which he does, he can stand up, turn around and lie down and is under 25 lbs .Needless to say we cancelled our trip and that was the last time I ever dealt with Air Canada, we have flown with Sherm several times since then with Westjet.

Muscle's Mom is offline Village Governor

Thanks for the info, Holly. Luckily I was already planning to fly with west jet!
    Muscle's Mom...and Gracie too!

I have never flown one of my dogs on a plane, but I have been to Canada and I know they have rules about bringing pets into and out of the country, so I would check and see what you need to know abut that..They will let pets in you just have certain things you have to bring, like shot records and stuff like that.

Good luck if you do take her let us know how things went, I would love to know incase I have to fly with my Sadie..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123