Pugs & Airplanes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pugs & Airplanes

Muscle's Mom is offline Village Governor

Default Pugs & Airplanes

Hi guys,

I may be going out to Calgary to visit my sister in September and would love to bring Muscle along for the trip and to meet his Whippet cousin, Tango! Has anyone here flown with their pugs and do you have any comments on the experience, whether you would recommend it, and anything special to be aware of? Was your pug small enough to fit in carry on or did you have to fly them in cargo? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I know Muscle would love the experience of actually being there once we arrive, but I want to make sure that the flight won't be too much for him to handle.
    Muscle's Mom...and Gracie too!

TNPUGMOMOF2 is offline Village Royalty

I flew American from Memphis to Long Beach, CA. I took Lola in a carrier in the cabin and suggest that is the ONLY way you EVER fly with a pug. DO NOT ever check them into cargo. It was great, if you have a layover like we did in Dallas, ask someone who works there and they often have piddle areas that they can take you to for dogs that travel. She never went, but I made sure she was walked well before we took off and limited her water through the day. I just took towels and figured if she went I was ready to clean it up. She was an angel. My vet recommended benedryl for the flight, it calms them down without knocking them out. She slept through the entire flight in her carrier. The airline never weighed her or even asked for a health certificate or anything, they just wanted their $85 each way. She was under 20 lbs at the time, she was under a year, but she is 21 lbs now and I would still have no problem flying with her. Not sure if flying into Canada with a dog would cause any additional problems, but the airline would be able to tell you what you needed to do. Jsut make sure you have reserved a pet "spot" on the plane for him. I guess they only allow so many on one flight. We flew with an antisocial weiner dog who would not play with Lola and a persian cat that seemed more tolerant than the little weiner!
    Marci - pugmom to Lola, Bella, Hank & BIG brother Odin the English Mastiff.

Pug of Perfection is offline Village VP

I flew from South Florida to Los Angeles with Rumy. I got a health certificate as requested by the airline (United), but never had to show it. He was less than 20 lbs so I brought him in the cabin in his carrier under the seat. The counter person just looked at him through the carrier each time. He did great - he was a little whiney at first, but fell asleep. During our lay-over, we were afraid he wouldn't get to pee outside, so I brought him in the handicapped stall in the bathroom and laid paper towels on the floor and he peed and I cleaned it up.

I had dogs years ago (not pugs) and I flew them underneath the plane. I would NEVER do that again. I have heard too many horror stories since then.

I think it was around $65 to bring him on board and I did make advance reservations.

p.s. during the flight out, we brought the soft carrier on our laps and let him get some air. The flight attendant didn't bother us and the other passengers across from us loved him. On the way back, the flight attendant wasn't too nice so he had to stay underneath the seat in front of us nearly all the time. He eventually dozed off.
    Mommy to Daruma Gene, the Pug of Perfection...and Roxi Lou, my sweet crazy furkid.

Always missing my sweet baby grandpug, Montgomery Marie - I will someday see you at the Rainbow Bridge, my sweet little girl - (05/25/07-08/13/10 - victim to PDE)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info! I've read up on it online, but wanted to hear from people who have actually done it. Muscle will be a year and a half by then but he's fairly small (only 15 lbs) so he should be ok size wise for carry on. We're already in Canada so customs should not be a problem. I'll keep the benadryl in mind. The airline is $50 each way for a pet and I'll book his spot when I book my ticket. Thanks!

If possibe, please please him at home. I know you like the thought of him visiting, but many pugs are often just be frightened and wondering why his world changed.

Otherwise as someone already said: NEVER EVER put a pug in cargo. Most airlines won't accept a 'push-faced' dog in cargo anyway. Check with your airline, each has its own rules as to weight, etc. Most only accept a Sherpa bag that fits under the seat, so that limits the pug to 20-25 lbs or so.

Good luck in your decision.

Thanks Maryjo for your input. It's a little more than just wanting him to come along as my husband is also away that week and our regular bunch of pug sitters are not able to do it for that week. He may otherwise have to go to a kennel (he's never been before), so that would be a big change too. Bottom line we want to do what's least disruptive to him though, so we'll take all of this into consideration.

Nutter is offline Village Senator

We've flown from CA to Virginia with both boys and didn't have any problems. They were both in carriers on board with us. We were on two separate flights and my BF actually got to take Winston out of his carrier and have him on his lap. I however, was not allowed to take Tucker out at all. And at one point I had his carrier on the empty seat next to me and they made me put it on the floor. The quality of your flight will depend not only on how your dog handles the carrier and the noise of the plane, but also your flight attendants.
    I will probably fly with the boys again. But others here have had very different experiences, Lemon had a flight from hell not too long ago (hopefully Kathleen will chime in with that story). I think it depends on your dog.
    As everyone has said - don't check them in cargo.

Co-Pilot in Flight is offline Village High Flying Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle's Mom
    Thanks Maryjo for your input. It's a little more than just wanting him to come along as my husband is also away that week and our regular bunch of pug sitters are not able to do it for that week. He may otherwise have to go to a kennel (he's never been before), so that would be a big change too. Bottom line we want to do what's least disruptive to him though, so we'll take all of this into consideration.
    Well I think it depends on the Pug really. Co-Pilot flies with us in our own plane about twice a week (maybe you have seen the pics I have posted????) Traveling is something she loves as much as us, and we have been traveling with her since the day we got her so she is used to it.

I too would never put any live thing in cargo on a plane. If giving benedryl you should try it before the flight to be sure there is no adverse reaction.

Good luck!

Photo circa 2008!
    Sara: Mom to Co-Pilot(10), our pug girl and "her boys", Carter(8) and Cameron(4).

Co-Pilot on Dogster

www.dogster.com/dogs/324829 301.9

DO NOT EVER PUT A PUG IN CARGO!

Quote Originally Posted by OtisPug
    DO NOT EVER PUT A PUG IN CARGO!
    Listen to Nancy and Maryjo. Nancy works for an airline. We've never flown with our pugs and with three pugs, that's not ever going to happen. I think flying with pugs in the cabin is safe. The problem that many people have is that the pug can become really anxious and cry, whine, or bark during the whole trip. If that happens, depending on the flight staff you have and the people on your plane, it can be a nightmare. The problem is that you can never tell until you're on the plane and it's happening.

I had two friends who moved from LA to Boston. They had Vinny (a 2 year old darling pug with scrliosis and not at all hyper) and Tony (a 5 months old puppy). They paid for first class, got doggy anxiety pills, and decided to take the red-eye in the hopes that the boys would sleep and the plane would be pretty empty. It was a nightmare for them. The boys cried the entire trip and the flight staff was rude and people yelled at them.

I know that Kathleen had a hard time with Lemon, too, and Kathleen did just about everything possible to prepare for the flight.

It's a total toss up. But if you do decide to fly, please do not put them in cargo -- if cargo or kennelling are your only choices, then kennel them, please kennel them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast