What other dog breeds are compatible with Pugs? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What other dog breeds are compatible with Pugs?

Pug of Perfection is offline Village VP

I would also agree that getting an adult dog would be much better than a pup. My daughter's BF has been bringing over his chocolate lab (Jackson) quite frequently. Jackson is about 18 weeks, weighs about 50 pounds and looks like a person in a dog suit already and his idea of playing is to grab Rumy by the goozle (the extra skin under his neck) and throttle him, then try and drag him back to his owner. It's inbred, since he's a bird dog, but they require constant supervision and separation a good amount of the time. I'm hoping as he gets older, he'll settle down more.

As for the dog park, our best experiences have been with boxers and greyhounds. Herding dogs (collies, Australian shepherds) tend to try and "herd" and nip at a running pug. He's gotten along quite well with nearly every dog, except pit bulls (we avoid them like the plague now, since all 20 pounds of Rumy thinks he can terrorize pit bulls- not a good idea, but he can't quite grasp it), and a lady who brought a pile of tiny chihuahua-wiener dog mixes that ran around and bit every dog in the park, barking madly - it was like a dust cloud of yappy, nippy dogs.
    Mommy to Daruma Gene, the Pug of Perfection...and Roxi Lou, my sweet crazy furkid.

Always missing my sweet baby grandpug, Montgomery Marie - I will someday see you at the Rainbow Bridge, my sweet little girl - (05/25/07-08/13/10 - victim to PDE)

THMINIS is offline Village VP

Reggie's best friend is a yellow lab. He actually is calm with her, even though she runs circles around him trying to get him to play. Bella is too snarky to play with bigger dogs. She yaps and yaps and yaps until they play with her, which includes them chasing her and her hiding behind me while still barking at them .

Honestly, I agree that it is the dog's temperment. My uncle had an adopted rottie once that hated people, but who loved his pug brother.
    -Theresa-
    Proud Mom of Reggie & Bella & missing Rocky, the pug who pugged everyone he met

PugSavers is offline Village Royalty

The main thing you have to remember is that size DOES matter. Even if the pug is the feisty one, one snap of a large jaw can kill a pug, even if that was not the intention.

As a case in point, out Vet had a client who had a pug and boxer who were raised together from birth. Best friends, played all the time. One day, when they were both 6, they were outside playing. The boxer turned on the pug and killed it. The owner then went and had the boxer put down because she could never trust her again.

ALWAYS supervise a larger dog with a pug and separate them when you are gone. A pug does not always back down when playing and this can be misinterpreted.

Rather be safe than a sorry that you cannot repair.
    Roxane
    Mama to Betty (now age 15)
    Forever Mama to my angel boy Bailey,my heart,my love
    2/14/95-2/14/10 and my other angel boy Tiny Tim,who taught me so much about loving a differently abled pug
    4/10/98-3/7/10

www.pugsavers.com
    "Rescuing Pugs & Pug Mixes in Northern California and Northern Nevada"

"You can lead a ho to culture but you can't make her think."

"If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet!"

Check out our Cafe Press store www.cafepress.com/pugsavers
    for Pug Items to benefit rescue!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Rosemary is offline Village Admiral

Maddie's very best friend in the whole world is my brother's boston terrier Sophie. I know they aren't big dogs, but they go GREAT with pugs. They are around the same size, so they are evenly matched when they play. They are so in love with each other- I wish Sophie lived with me. Actually, I would like to add to our family in a year or two, and I think my next dog may be a BT.

Isn't she sweet?
    ~Rosemary
    Mom to Gromit the pug, Butters the yellow lab,
    Maisie the blind yorkie, and Callie the cat

Always missing Maddie & Bijou

GingerSnap is offline Village Smart Cookie

Jackson and his big brother German shepherd got along great, and McKenna was great playing with a smaller dog. He's since gone to the Rainbow Bridge, and we're looking at getting another shepherd puppy, but said puppy will definitely be crated away from Jackson when we're not around to supervise. An older larger dog who has experience with small dogs might be your friend's best bet, or a smaller puppy.
    Ginger
    Mom to Jackson (fawn pug, age 7) and Sammy (black brindle pug/French bulldog, age 9ish or so)

We don't live with any other dogs, but every doggy friend China has she completely dominates, or tries too... even the Staffy's and German Shephards... so it must depend on the personality. China thinks she's the Biggest and Toughest of them all. I'm just waiting for the day she meets her match... her only other Pug friend is terrified of her, but I think the other Pug has issues, poor thing. Good luck!

Biggie is offline Village Puppy

thanks for the help everyone

...maybe i can try and convince my friend to get a medium dog instead, hah.....if not, then lets just pray that Biggie's new buddy will work out for the best

Now, to jump in with a medium sized dog..... Shelties are intelligent and very much caretakers. Our Maddie frets over Stevie. Of course, she tries to herd him & with him being blind, that is pretty funny to watch. Our sheltie was a rescue too, and I think the info from the foster family is key - she had been living with a small dog and two cats - one was a siamese. And she was laid back with all of them.

I think getting a rescue that has been fostering with a smaller dog might be an excellent way to go.

waschaf is offline Village Governor

Just my opinion but i think most breeds can be taught to live together i had a great Dane and a maltese together, my folks would bring over there Shi -Tzu when i had a Rotti.
    I know of people with pugs and Boxers, French Bulldogs, Bostons,Afghans to name a few,i myself am bringing in a British Bulldog crossing fingers by the end of the year.
    Amanda - Washington, Cha , Nike , Munroe & Persephone!

I had a rottie. He was very good with the pugs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast