Is it possible for a pug to hate 1 person?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible for a pug to hate 1 person?

Ben&Cricket is offline Village Admiral

Unhappy Is it possible for a pug to hate 1 person?

I have been having problems with Ben and my cousin. Each time he sees him he gets angry. His entire body shakes and he barks. What is causing this kind of reaction? He even tried giving him a treat and he just did not care. He tried petting him and he did not care too. He only does this to one person...just one. Why?
    Christine ~Ben's Mom ( Ben rescued 11-11-2006)

Ben was a rescue right? Do you know anything about his background? Indy was also a rescue (we don't know much about his past), but the first couple of days after I brought him home, he was TERRIFIED of Ken. He'd shake and bark, and kind of cower. We figured he might have been abused at some point by men (the weird thing is, he'd really only be super scared if Ken was wearing his work boots). Even now, if a bigger strange guy comes up to him, he will kind of cower down. How often does your cousin visit? We had Ken keep feeding him and spending one on one time with him, talking quietly, giving treats, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SairaLV View Post
    Ben was a rescue right? Do you know anything about his background? Indy was also a rescue (we don't know much about his past), but the first couple of days after I brought him home, he was TERRIFIED of Ken. He'd shake and bark, and kind of cower. We figured he might have been abused at some point by men (the weird thing is, he'd really only be super scared if Ken was wearing his work boots). Even now, if a bigger strange guy comes up to him, he will kind of cower down. How often does your cousin visit? We had Ken keep feeding him and spending one on one time with him, talking quietly, giving treats, etc.
    He is not that way with other people. In fact I hosted a Thanksgiving party with 15 guest and he was alright.. Just this one person. He hates him with passion. I thought he would have a heart attack. His entire body was shaking. My cousin seldom visits. Do you think he kinda looks like the abusive owner? I have no idea about Ben's past life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

Something is setting the dog off, and perhaps he has reason. People can be bribed, dogs cannot. If the visitor is honored in your house, gently and lovingly put Ben in a different room. But Ben is trying to tell you something.

DPhelps is offline Village Governor

I agree it is probably something from his past. We had a dog when I was a kid, non-pug but still, we adopted her from the pound and her whole life she hated men in uniform with a passion... like try to kill them passion. My dad was a fireman at the time and he had to change out of uniform before he came home or she would attack him. We figured she had been abused by someone in uniform in her past. Weird thing is it didn't matter what color the uniform was... and how does a dog distinguish between suit and uniform? I don't know ... but she did. Your poor boy was probably mistreated by someone that looked like your cousin... or maybe even wore the same colgne or something....
    Dulce

( mom to Goldie born 11-11-2006 and Bella born 03-26-08)

Quote Originally Posted by tall grass pugs View Post
    Something is setting the dog off, and perhaps he has reason. People can be bribed, dogs cannot. If the visitor is honored in your house, gently and lovingly put Ben in a different room. But Ben is trying to tell you something.
    I have to agree here. I feel dogs sense things we as humans don't sometimes. Our pets also tend to be our protectors-sooooo... Maybe he is trying to tell you something...

PugSavers is offline Village Royalty

We had a rescue pug in who just went crazy when he saw a dark complected man in a flannel shirt. He would bark and growl and back up...even if he just saw him on the street.

We figured he was abused by a swarthy lumberjack. He went to a home with a very proper single woman who was not the flannel type.
    Roxane
    Mama to Betty (now age 15)
    Forever Mama to my angel boy Bailey,my heart,my love
    2/14/95-2/14/10 and my other angel boy Tiny Tim,who taught me so much about loving a differently abled pug
    4/10/98-3/7/10

www.pugsavers.com
    "Rescuing Pugs & Pug Mixes in Northern California and Northern Nevada"

"You can lead a ho to culture but you can't make her think."

"If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet!"

Check out our Cafe Press store www.cafepress.com/pugsavers
    for Pug Items to benefit rescue!

tocents is offline Village Bug Shutterbug

There's something about your cousin that scares Ben-probably reminds him of someone that hurt him in his past. He may never get over it-I think Ellen is right-just gently remove him from your cousin's vicinity-either he will learn to trust him in time or he won't. Poor little pug-gosh knows what happened to him in his past to trigger this reaction.
    Cathy, Dino Bambino the Lawless Terrier, Laura-Lovey the Pug Diva and Sparky Boo Boo, the Pug Mutt

And playing together at The Bridge
    Bubba Chunk, Gentleman and Scholar
    Lucy the Beagledor
    Liza, the sweet little bundle of good nature
    Big Roxie
    Barney the Wonderbug
    Whompin' Stompin' Walter-A Legend in His Own Mind
    Sweet Rascal Joe

I was honestly so scared about his reaction since he was shaking and breathing differently. He was barking kinda on the howling tone. So I am sure there was something wrong. He sat on my lap the entire time and he looked distressed. My cousin is still here and is staying overnight. We kept Ben inside the room of my daughter. We shall see what happens in the morning. Thanks

yes i think that it is possible because there was this guy that used to come over and she hates him! she always trys to bite him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast