Do we pick our dogs?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we pick our dogs?

Default Do we pick our dogs?

My mom and I were having an interesting conversation on our dogs today and I thought I'd share our question with everyone here. Do we choose our dogs or do our dogs somehow choose us? We decided that the Fates, God, some cosmic force, who knows what has brought our dogs to us and that had we been allowed to find dogs on our own, we wouldn't have gotten the right dogs. Honestly, if I had gotten what I wanted in every situation that a new dog came home, a different dog would have been there and I can't see them fitting the needs that we had at the time better than the dogs that we actually ended up with. In every instance I intended a different animal to come home with me and it was always random events that led to the dog I actually got being the one. Or do we just make whatever dog we end up with fit and shape our lives around them so much that we make them a perfect fit? I have too many examples to believe to not think that some greater force is bringing these animals to me. I could write a book. BUT I was just wondering what your thoughts were.

Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty

Personally, I believe that before we are born we choose each other to help us fulfill our potential destinies. Same with friends and families.
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

Ben&Cricket is offline Village Admiral

In my heart I knew that Ben was heaven sent. I did not like dogs all my life. But in Jan 15, 2006 my mother died. I was in severe depression. My office sent me to work in a convention in Atlanta. I was assisting an officemate who use to breed Schnausers and she told me that dogs bring happiness to the home. So when I got back from the convention I started reading about dogs. At first I wanted a non-shedding dog: Schnauser, bichon frise or poddle. I joined 2 rescues...until this day the 1st rescue NEVER called me back. Anyway to make things short...I rescued, fostered and adopted Ben. I saved him and he saved me. He brings me so much joy in life. Best of yet...he brought me to the village.
    Christine ~Ben's Mom ( Ben rescued 11-11-2006)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

I think they choose us somehow, and we end up with the dogs we were meant to have. I never wanted a dog, never pictured myself with one. I used to volunteer at the humane society in college and while I thought many of the puppies and dogs were extremely cute, I never had any urge to get one. So how I ended up with Hooligan is one of life's great mysteries-I just took one look at him and knew he was mine. He was my first dog and I had no idea what to do with him but we were madly in love with him.

Indiana also wasn't planned..I was just looking on the rescue site and saw they needed a foster. I had some extra time so I put in an application-there was no description on what he looked like or age or anything so I had no idea what I was in for when I went ot pick him up. Again, we took one look at him and just knew-I love my Indiana more than anything, I can't imagine him with anyone else (especially because he does have a lot of issues!! ). It must have been fate!

I have seen a lot of the "fate" stories working with rescue too-people just somehow end up with their perfect dog.

SallyAndTilly is offline Village Model's Mom & Photo Nut

I believe a lot of it is fate, but I picked out Tilly. There was only one female and one male and I wanted a female. She was cute, so that was that!

Milosmom is offline Village Royalty

I'm sure fate is a part of things but I chose Milo. Of 3 , he was the one who instantly jumped at my heart.
    Remi was fate as he wasn't my pick but the one who ultimatly came to us. Now I realize after his bout with seizures, demodex, occasional terrible habit of starting fights for no reason at all, and general misbehaving demeanor that takes a lot of patience , I believe he was "sent" to us for our patience and ability to handle all of his issues mentally and medically.
    Drago, I didn't plan or choose at all. I only prayed for a black baby , searched forever and never found the "One" that I just knew was him. One morning someone called me and brought him by. The rest we know.
    Each one is so very different in so many ways, Milo is my heart, Remi is my teacher of all things patient and Drago is perfect in filling that void of something was "missing. However they managed to come to me , I'm thankful everyday.
    Sarah
    ~*Mickey, Milo & Dragos Mom*~
    Always missing *^Remi Pug^ & ^Loli Pom^*

When I adopted Shawnee I had applied for a different dog that the rescue had, but I will admit to being in love with another sweet little black pug Peaches, that I had met in obedience class with my australian shepherd. Really, I just wanted Peaches. Of course, Peaches already had a wonderful, loving home, but if they ever needed a pet sitter they promised to call me because they knew how much I loved their dog. I get Shawnee and a week later get an email explaining events that meant they could no longer keep Peaches and would I want to adopt her? My condo has a 1 dog limit (and Shawnee is much happier as an only child) so there's really only room in my life for one pug. If I had been asked at any point before actually getting Shawnee- even a phone call on the car ride to pick her up- I would have turned around for this pug- I was that in love. As soon as I read that email I knew Shawnee was the right pug for me. I could know that Peaches could have been mine and had not an ounce of regret that it was Shawnee who came home with me a week earlier. Random events have happened with every single one of my dogs that just make you think it's fate.

Mine is an odd situation..I've been around dogs all my life...once I fell in love with one..he got hit by a car..every since then, I had no use for a dog...Cats were SO MUCH easier to maintain,and train....Then I was introuduced to my Grandmothers Dauchaund 'Jack' I seen Jack, heard of many ,many of his cute stories, seen great 'posing' pics of him...FINALLY GOT TO MEET HIM...and it was love at first sight...2 yrs later, I got to babysit him..then it became an everyweekend deal...this went on for 5 yrs..Me and my X Dh seperated, I was alone, couldn't sleep at night, (never been alone before) Gma told me to take Jack for as long as I needed him...I brought him home 2 weeks later...3 yrs after all this and everyweekend, sometimes weeks at a time (he was labeled as a dayc are kid) Gma gave him up to her son that gave him to her, she could no longer care for him the way she used to...Depression hit HARD...I held and rocked him and kept him til the day he left....I still cry til this day..Dh couldn't take it no more...and bought me my first dog....My RT Parker...he was comign from a flea infested home...his waste was in a box, up to his ankles, he couldn't turn the lil guy away...Parker needed me and I needed him...I strongly feel he was heaven sent!!! I knew NOTHING about potty training a dog...I searched the internet til I thought I was going blind I wanted him to PT so bad....and he did!!! he was done when he was 5 months old!!!!! We were introuduced to my Brother in law's male pug..baby sat him, Parker and (Bratzie) became best of friends...I fell in love with the pug breed...wanted one...Dh found China on the internet, and he said someting about her...told him she was forever ours.......he didn't want noone else BUT HER...he picked her sister, she was gone already..and the more he looked at China the more she said come get me....This is a very sad story, i shouldnt put it here, I will make it short and swet, Dh had an imagainry cat when he was little, the cat ran away when his parents split, and his childhood went down the tubes, he didn't care about NOTHING ANYMORE....he said china reminds him of that 'imaginary cat' he used to have..she has a face FULL OF LOVE, AND HEART OF GOLD...she gives more love than any animal he's ever met, he said even though I bought her, China was his fate/his destiny! and she's a daddy's girl/
    Zoe...we were brought together..I knew in the bottom of my stomach thee was lies this lady was telling me, this baby needed a good forever home FAST...and the minute I laid eyes on her, I knew she wasnm't going back to hell that she came from...She's all mine 100% me and her, and parker were meant for eachother, and China was meant for dh....sad /sweet but true.

We bought Pierre but chose him from a picture on the online newspaper site. He was Male #2. I grew up with big dogs (wolf/malamute mix) and have never had a small dog but hubby wanted a Pug after meeting Buster, my high school friend's pug 10 years ago. We knew that we were going to get 2 dogs (Pug and Husky) but wanted to wait a while. Last Labor Day weekend we randomly looked online at ads and the next day we got Pierre spontaneously (before we were ready to get a dog). We had to go buy all his "goods" on the way there, we totally were not prepared. We got to the place and said that we wanted to see Male #2 and the other 3 pups came out and had so much spunk and then Pierre came out and just sat there (they had just woken up from a nap). Normally one would pick the pup with the best personality but for some reason, we were so drawn to him, even though he barely acknowledged us. It's been love ever since! He's so mellow and that is perfect for us. He was made for us and we were made for him. What is so weird is that it was late Sunday evening that we both just got this "feeling" to look online for a Pug and I called several places and couldn't get through to anyone. Pierre's breeder was like 10th on our list. He was the first to go of the litter too...

Quote Originally Posted by ben1111 View Post
    At first I wanted a non-shedding dog
    Well Pugs only shed once a year (for 365 days)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast