Ears...Buttons V.S. Rose ears
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ears...Buttons V.S. Rose ears

Luvbean25 is offline Village B'Dazzlin' Show Girl

Default Ears...Buttons V.S. Rose ears

I had got a couple of PM today asking me to translate the PDCA standard for ears, Rose V.S. Button and I must say this is one the most asked questions I get. So for all of you just dying to know the REAL difference between Buttons and Roses....here is my attempt! Suggestions and additions welcomed!

ROSE EARS..

A rose ear 'appears" to be smaller in size because of the crease in the backside of the ear. Even though the ear has a crease it should be held tightly to the side of the head. As the PDCA standard reads it should make the head appear more round. Rose ears are not desired by many breeders, and for the most part are not seen in the show ring today. My little Audrey I tried for a year to have button ears and one day the judge told me to stop taping her lovely rose buds...from that day on I stopped and she has a classic rose set as that of a pug from the 1980's.

As you can see they look like little rose petals....

BUTTON EARS...

A button ear should have a center nice "fold" like appearance. The ears should be level with the top of head and the corner of the ear should come down to the corner of the eye.

Noah and CP are perfect examples of well placed button ears. You will notice in the picutres below that Noah's are placed slightly higher than CP's however both come to the corner of the eye and are level at the top of the head. Noah has a much larger head than CP (as a dog should) and it makes his ears look higher placed.

Noah

CP

Flying ears....

Generally flying ears are buttons that stand up and do not frame the side of the face and do not come to the corner of the eye. A Boxer (not docked) has a flying button ear in pug standard terms. This type of ear does not meet the standard nor can it be corrected with tape/training. It is some genetically produced. (Photo came from www.boxerworld.com). On another note..flying Rose ears can sometimes be corrected and turned into beautiful button ears (if trained to before 1 years old).

"Flying Button Ear" (Left side)

Dublin sporting the left side...A beautiful button and the right a "Flying rose ear". This "flying rose" can be taped into a button to match the other side.

So this concludes my monthly dissertation on Pug ears (Remember last month was pug gentics and COI%). What would you all like to see for April?

Sarina
    Mommy to: Sebastian
    Pugs: Chloe, Emma, Scarlett, & Milani

"The discipline of desire is the background of character".

Co-Pilot in Flight is offline Village High Flying Sweetheart

Thanks Sarina, this topic confused me GREATLY when I was brand new to showing, even still CP's ears are better after having had tape on them for a few days prior to showing.

Photo circa 2008!
    Sara: Mom to Co-Pilot(10), our pug girl and "her boys", Carter(8) and Cameron(4).

Co-Pilot on Dogster

www.dogster.com/dogs/324829 301.9

SallyAndTilly is offline Village Model's Mom & Photo Nut

Well, thank you for the info. I never could get that straight. I guess we have flying roses. When she walks, they flap up and down. Love her just the way she is though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

If you look on your pedigree and see Am and CAN CH Wolf's Little Joe back there somewhere, you can bet you will always have a wayward ear. Joe had one rose ear and one rosebud ear and it is his fault that at least 50% of the lines in this country ahve that occurring in almost every litter. Talk about prepotent genes!

Quote Originally Posted by jubileepug View Post
    If you look on your pedigree and see Am and CAN CH Wolf's Little Joe back there somewhere, you can bet you will always have a wayward ear. Joe had one rose ear and one rosebud ear and it is his fault that at least 50% of the lines in this country ahve that occurring in almost every litter. Talk about prepotent genes!
    Humm that is interesting, I will have to go back on Dre's pedigree and see if I can find him. What would have been his years? I have gone back to the 1970's on Noah and Emma and don't recall that name...off to go and find him!!!!

Sarina

Quote Originally Posted by jubileepug View Post
    Okay Myra...this is NUTS!!! I pulled him and it would be nearly impossible to find a pug that does not have "Lil Joe" somewhere in the pedigree....

http://www.pugpeds.com/cgi-bin/breed...&db=pugped.dbw

51 breedings, with the first being 1966 and the last being 1975. Marjorie Shriver must have LOVED this boy to do a repeat breeding FIVE times and used him 2 time with another bitch. Did she own him? See what comes out of the wood work....I love it!!!

Sarina

Co-Pilot in Flight is offline Village High Flying Sweetheart

that is so cool! fascinating stuff!

Photo circa 2008!
    Sara: Mom to Co-Pilot(10), our pug girl and "her boys", Carter(8) and Cameron(4).

Co-Pilot on Dogster

www.dogster.com/dogs/324829 301.9

He was before my time. My handler who died a year and a half ago knew him and his owner who was also an AKC judge. Esther Wolf was from Lincoln Nebraska and she had this boy who won everything back in the late 60's. Can you imagine 51 breedings before chilled semen or frozen semen shipping around the country? He must have had a girl visiting him about every 10 days!

Jodelar is offline Village Zookeeper

What would these be?... Perhaps "flying away" ears...LOL...

Lauren
    www.jodelar.com
    Home of AKC Champion German Shepherds & Standard Dachshunds...AND 3 VERY spoiled PUGS, THE TOOTIE, TUCKER, and TOBY
    The Tootie's Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/626112
    Tucker's Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/626123
    Toby's Dogster Page:http://www.dogster.com/dogs/876560

Those would be flying cute ears!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jodelar View Post
    What would these be?... Perhaps "flying away" ears...LOL...

Sarina

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast