Are bay leaves poisonous to pets?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Are bay leaves poisonous to pets?

  1. #1
    AngID is offline Village Governor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Posts
    594

    Default Are bay leaves poisonous to pets?

    Someone suggested we put a few bay leaves around the kitchen and bathroom to get rid of sugar ants but I don't want to use them if they're harmful for Conway. I did a search on the internet and found a bunch of links that said they *are* poisonous if you ingest them and another bunch of links that said they are *not*.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    14,389

    Default

    I have heard that they ARE poisonous!

  3. #3
    never2manypugs's Avatar
    never2manypugs is offline Village Royalty
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Outside of Phx, Az
    Posts
    7,099

    Default

    The ASPCA doesn't list them at all...not on the toxic list but not on the non-toxic list either... Sorry I guess this doesn't help.
    Pam - owned by Roxie (almost 12 yrs) , Lola (14 yrs), and Olivia (almost 9 yrs)

    And Taylor, who showed me how to be loved by a pug,waits at the bridge. Mommy loves you! You will forever be in my heart.
    And never to forget, the sweetest pug ever Tasha who is at the bridge with her sister.
    And very sadly now, my baby boy Boris.

    Love is to wake up cuddling a pug.

    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those.
    -- Author Unknown

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Cathy and Winston is offline Village VP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Maryland Eastern Shore
    Posts
    1,700

    Default

    I've hear they are poisonous for humans, but I don't know about pets. I'd rather not take the chance.
    Cathy
    Slave to Edgar Allen Pug
    Forever missing Winston 1-18-2005 to 5-16-2011
    Syringomyelia Sucks
    Always in my heart

  6. #5
    bumble's Avatar
    bumble is offline Village Hooker
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,394

    Default

    Bay laurel (used for cooking) is harmless. to both humans and animals. Mountain laurel (a flowering plant, not a true laurel) is poisonous.

    http://landscaping.about.com/od/pois...ts/index_a.htm
    Sheila, owned by Paddy the Wonderpug



    Save the planet; it's the only one with red wine, chocolate, and pugs

  7. #6
    Asia'sMom's Avatar
    Asia'sMom is offline Village VP
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    I'm going to have to look into this, because i cook with them.
    Asia And Ambers Mom

    PUG'S ROCK!!

  8. #7
    SallyAndTilly's Avatar
    SallyAndTilly is offline Village Model's Mom & Photo Nut
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Broomfield, CO
    Posts
    10,476

    Default

    I cook with them too and in fact did for dinner tonight.







  9. #8
    Pugpillow's Avatar
    Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7,504

    Default

    Try a sprinkling of cinnamon instead - not the kind mixed with sugar of course.
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

    Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

  10. #9
    Mason's Mama's Avatar
    Mason's Mama is offline Village Mayor
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant, Michigan
    Posts
    332

    Default

    I don't know about poison but I have heard that whole bay leaves are not digestable. We use them in the cabinets to keep bugs out but I always make sure they are out of the reach of Mason!
    Mason's Mama (aka: Melinda)

    Mom to furbabies Mason and Eddie, and human baby Ian.

  11. #10
    ChristineLA is offline Village Mayor
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    414

    Default

    They are not poisonous -- but the sharp edges can lacerate the digestive tract. if accidentally ingested.

    Even when you use dried bay leaves in cooking (for humans), you remove the bay leaf before you serve the dish. The leaves are only left in to add flavor during the cooking process.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts