Can you gauge a puppy's adult weight?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can you gauge a puppy's adult weight?

Default Can you gauge a puppy's adult weight?

I didn't want to hijack samthepug's thread of her adorable Sammi collage, so I thought I'd start a new thread. I'm just wondering if there's any way to kind of guestimate how big your puppy will be as an adult? My vet said you can pretty much double their weight at 4 months. For those of you who have raised puppies, did you find a certain time when there was lots of growth? Oh, and when do they stop teething?? She's chewing up anything and everything! She won't chew her Kongs anymore--she much prefers furniture and fluffy dog beds.

I dont know about the weight but on the chewing deal Sammi is still teething, she was chewing on something tonight and we took it from her and it was one of her teeth, ha ha.

Also I will give you a suggest on something that works for me when Sammi starts chewing things I rather her not chew on. I spray that bitter apple spray on it and she will leave it alone. Just a thought

Judy Shimoda is offline Village Merchant

My guess is that at about 8 to 9 months old the pugs are pretty much full grown - after that they fill out a little. I've had 9 pugs in my life- raised from puppies and 8 to 10 months old is pretty much it as far as tallness goes. Width increases , and weight after that but not by too much really- if their diet is stable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Luvbean25 is offline Village B'Dazzlin' Show Girl

I have found that the size and growth of a puppy is all based on genetics. My line matures VERRRY slow. My girls are usually about 18-20 months when they stop growing and my boys are 24 months. They do gain most of teir weight in the first 12-15 months and then fill out from there. I know that there are some lines that look full grown at 8 months. Pugs are like humans we all have our own time clock.

Dre is a good example of a pug that was on the slow train to maturing at 15 months old she was a whopping 11lbs. At 20 months old she topped out at 15.5. I have a feeling that Milan is on the same path, she is almost 10 months old and 12lbs, and I think that she will mature to about 15 as well. Her structure is smaller than Dre's so I think she will be more dainty where Dre is a bit husky and broad. London (Milan's brother) is 16lbs at 10 months old and since he is a clone of his mother I expect him to be about 18lbs at matuirty. Although he has been 16lb for almost 6 weeks.

I like to keep track of the growth of my pugs. It helps when future litters come and I have some midget at a year old, I know that there is still hope. As breeders time goes so fast sometimes we forget how small they really are. One thing about pugs is that I wished they were measured by height and length (no more than 11" high/11" long) and not weight. But I don't ever see that happening, wishfull thinking!

Sarina
    Mommy to: Sebastian
    Pugs: Chloe, Emma, Scarlett, & Milani

"The discipline of desire is the background of character".

Thank you all your replies!

ViralMD is offline None

Just keep in mind that it's different when a dog is spayed or neutered! They'll grow slightly taller, but the substance of the bone will be less. And they'll stop growing earlier, all in all.
    Viralmd, Cyril (aka Aljac Captain Hook CGC) and Tassie, the rescue chihuahua

Quote Originally Posted by viralmd View Post
    Just keep in mind that it's different when a dog is spayed or neutered! They'll grow slightly taller, but the substance of the bone will be less. And they'll stop growing earlier, all in all.
    Oh, good to know (although she can't get even taller--she's already a little beanstalk!) When should I spay her? I heard 6 months?

+ Reply to Thread