When do puppies calm down?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do puppies calm down?

Default When do puppies calm down?

Doughy is 8.5 months and she is still acting like a puppy. She has a TON of energy and she bothers her senior sisters incessantly. She puts anything and everything in her mouth and has a short attention span. I realize she's going through the dreaded "adolescent" stage...when will this end?? I've come to the realization that she's not the laid-back, food-loving pug; she prefers rigorous activity and constant stimulus. I'm hoping though that some of this is related to her young age. For those of you who had your pugs as puppies, when did life become a bit easier? Doughy is draining my energy to the point of exasperation. My heart pug, Cookie (who passed last July) was always very laid-back, but I got her when she was already 4. I'm not used to a pug puppy!

Pug puppies are active little devils!! Hooli was really only puppyish until he was about a year. I got Indy at 10 months old, and he didn't start calming down until around 2. That 10 month to 2 year period was all go go go go.

Tuck and Ag's Mom is offline Village Royalty

Tuck turned a year, Jan 10th and he is still a very active little guy. He has gotten past the pestering his Aggie girl stage, but he keeps me pretty busy. I've found the more time I spend taking him for long walks the less active he is inside, plus I've always made sure that my furkids have plenty of toys and things to chew on to keep them entertained plus it helps them to learn what is acceptable to chew on. I'm glad he's still active though because I don't want to have to put him on the dreaded diet once he slows down!
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy
    Forever in my heart Aggie, Tucker and Frank

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Milosmom is offline Village Royalty

Ummm ...
    ok ok , I'll be nice.
    My oldest Milo the "I could care less chump" started mellowing around 1 yr, Remi the middle child - he's 2 & only partially settling and Drago my black rescue baby is 1 yr but yet he's a rotten little thing with a rambunctous streak that doesn't stop. I don't forsee slowing in his near future by any stretch .
    Sarah
    ~*Mickey, Milo & Dragos Mom*~
    Always missing *^Remi Pug^ & ^Loli Pom^*

Pug of Perfection is offline Village VP

Gummi is also about 8 months old and we call her the whirling dervish. She is constantly busy, constantly playing, constantly annoying SOMEBODY or chewing something. When I take her out, she gets distracted by the leaves and tries to carry things around. When she comes in, she poops on the stairs. She always has a piece of paper or tissue or something in her mouth so we're chasing her down, trying to grab it. She bugs Rumy to the point of him hiding from her. And she has no idea about personal space - she'll climb all over us when we're sitting on the sofa, putting her pug butt in my face while I'm speaking, jumping from my chest to the other end of the room like a flying squirrel.

I've found the best way to handle her is with a fairly strict schedule. If she pees in the house, I still take her out. She goes out and eats on a pretty tight routine. At night, I try and tire her out with endless bouts of fetch and chase. And at this age, she is fairly trainable, although I have to really STICK to working with her. She doesn't go to bed usually until after 10 pm and gets up at 6:00 am. I also make sure I treat Rumy as the alpha. Gummi has to learn to wait, and she's getting better.
    Mommy to Daruma Gene, the Pug of Perfection...and Roxi Lou, my sweet crazy furkid.

Always missing my sweet baby grandpug, Montgomery Marie - I will someday see you at the Rainbow Bridge, my sweet little girl - (05/25/07-08/13/10 - victim to PDE)

Candy'sPugs is offline Village Admiral

My Gizmo is 6 and acts like a little old man most of the time. He got that way when we brought Shelby home when he was 2. She is going to be 4 next month and is still a puppy, always in to things and getting herself into trouble.
    Mom to Shelby, my 8 year old puppy

and forever missing my sweet Gizmo.

Puglove2 is offline Village Dr. McSweetie

mine have all settled down at the age of 2! lol! a long way to go!
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. (Roger Caras)

Charlie on Dogster - Our angel, taken too soon, waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge - Please check out the CREATE fund for GME research in Yorkies
    http://www.yorkieangelpatrol.com/gme.htm
    http://www.dogster.com/?99046

Winston on Dogster
    http://www.dogster.com/?99048

Basil on Dogster
    http://www.dogster.com/?167623

Violet on Dogster
    http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=309585

And now Milo, the puppy that made us smile again.
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/658530

Cookie is offline Village Admiral

My Mandy, who is a fairly healthy 15 and a half (and still prances and woo's on occasion!), came into our lives at 2 years old for precisely this reason--she was too active and way more than her former owners could handle! The poor couple who had her had no idea what they were getting into, having heard the old "pugs are mellow lap dogs" thing. Well, they worked full time, had a sick family member who was taking up their after work time, then found the wife was pregnant, so decided it was in the best interest of the pug to put her up for adoption.

I was looking for a pug and saw their ad in the paper, called and talked to them. We went and looked at the pug (a skinny little live wire), she and my 7 year old son looked at each other, and the rest is history. It was love at first sight.

She really didn't calm down for well over another year, even with the constant attention and activity of two young kids playing with her.
    Young Mandy used to do what her former owners used to call "The Hell Walk". She'd start to strut, get that manic look in her eyes, and destroy all in her path LOL!! Throw rugs, pillows, trash cans, toilet paper....anything and everything was fair game, including kids pants legs and anything within reach. She'd jump on everyone and try to bite their chins when they bent to pet her. She also had a short career as a table surfer, until we learned to lean the dining room chairs up so she couldn't get on them. She was a devil for sure.

But, she did eventually become the couch potato pug, it just took a while!!
    So hang in there, it will happen. Patience, consistancy, and exercise exercise exercise!

And remember, you're not alone!!
    ~C~

Mandy
    7/10/92-6/27/09

PugLady3 is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Pug of Perfection View Post
    Gummi is also about 8 months old and we call her the whirling dervish. She is constantly busy, constantly playing, constantly annoying SOMEBODY or chewing something. When I take her out, she gets distracted by the leaves and tries to carry things around. When she comes in, she poops on the stairs. She always has a piece of paper or tissue or something in her mouth so we're chasing her down, trying to grab it. She bugs Rumy to the point of him hiding from her. And she has no idea about personal space - she'll climb all over us when we're sitting on the sofa, putting her pug butt in my face while I'm speaking, jumping from my chest to the other end of the room like a flying squirrel.
    I'm sorry but this gave me a really good giggle - especially the flying squirrel part!
    Brenda, Bella, Duke, Yoda (hospice), Mae (hospice), Zoe (foster) and
    our angels Pugsy, Buster, & Bud waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge

Northern Illinois Pug Rescue & Adoption (NIPRA)

Rebecca and the Pugs is offline Village Admiral

Clara calmed down exactly on her 3rd birthday. Bubba and Jewel have yet to calm down at 7 (before she got sick) and 7 1/2.
    Rebecca and the Pugs
    Sacramento, California
    Bubba (foster failure #2 age 10)
    Hospice Mom to Peachy (age 11)

........forever missing Eddie (foster failure #1)
    .........and Jewel (foster failure #3)
    .........and Clara ( my first pug baby age 11)
    .........and now Pugsley (hospice pug for Pugsavers age 15)

Pugsavers Pug Rescue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast