my pug is skinny!!!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my pug is skinny!!!!

Question my pug is skinny!!!!

I have a 8 month old pug, Margaux. She loves to eat. We have to give her dinner in at 3 different times because she eats so fast. But, Margaux is actually skinny. Is this bad for a pug??? I am wondering this because all the pugs I see are plumpy. When we take her outside, she chases our other dog ( a 8 year old Swedish Lapphund), and loves to eat crab apples. Should I be concerned???

Kara and Margaux

sassismom is offline Village Original Southern Dame

Hi, how old is she/ she sounds happy and active some pugs aren't very active therefore the get "fluffy"!
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow My Sweet Babies until we meet again at the Bridge Sassi (1998 - 2011) Angus (2005 - 2017) Meelah (2005 - 2018) Sissi (2011 - 2019) Cecil (2018 - 2020)

mushusmom is offline Village Admiral

Do you have a picture of her?
    Meredith, Libby & Mushu

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Margaux is a 8- month old fawn pug. She chases and plays with my other dog. She likes to sleep in the sun. When we let her outside, she loves to roam around, and runs around for a while before she makes. I will try to get a picture of her on tomarrow.
    Kara and Margaux

mushusmom is offline Village Admiral

She's probably fine. Maybe she's just growing quickly and is having trouble keeping up with it. Libby is a little skinny for a pug too but she eats like a piggy. Mushu is stocky and a year younger but can barely keep up with her. I guess he got my metabolism.
    Meredith, Libby & Mushu

Milosmom is offline Village Royalty

She sounds like a very active little girl with lots of things on her agenda and that's not a bad thing I don't imagine (so long as she has some "meat" and you can feel the ribs but not have them protruding out on their own).
    I'm not much help though as a mom to a rather err, um, fluffy/lazy, *cough Milo cough* boy and a sturdy muscular boy . My middle boy seems slim to me in comparison but he's extremely high-wound and maintains his figurative shape nicely.
    If you're overly concerned about her build, by all means chat about it with your vet and get his/her opinion.
    Would love to see a picture of your baby.
    Sarah
    ~*Mickey, Milo & Dragos Mom*~
    Always missing *^Remi Pug^ & ^Loli Pom^*

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Lots of pugs go through a skinny leggy phase at about that age.

Also, frankly, many pugs are prone to putting on too much weight to be healthy for them. If yours isn't so much the better.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

jwestoverpug is offline Village Royalty

It's much better for a dog to be lean than even the slightest bit overwieght, I do think most people are so used to seeing dogs that are heavy, especially pugs that they don't know what to make of healthy, fit dogs.
    Jesse and the pugs
    Rudy "Stop These Feet from Dancin NA OAJ"
    Willy "Bishop's Willy the Kid NA OAJ"
    Kittie "CH MACH CandyLand's Sugar Babie NAP NJP OAP AJP CGC"
    Abby "Pennwood's Rising Star AX AXJ NAP NJP CGC"
    Indy, "Pasun's Trip To The Moon OA NAJ" papillon in training

jaymiej is offline Village Mayor

I wouldnt be concerned a skinny pug is better than a fat pug!

All dogs are healthier when they carry less weight - a pug should be between 6-8kgs (according to books and veterinary guidance!) obv a small female will be closer to 6 and a big boy closer to 8! mine are 6.8kgs and 7.5kgs and according to the vet this makes them perfect and believe me mine can eat!

So long as your dog isnt lethargic or vomitting its food and you doesnt resemble an anorexic greyhound you should be fine! But if you are worried go for a vet check it is lovely for them to tell you how nice it is to see a dog at a healthy weight!

J

FourteenLegs is offline Village Diva

The best thing to establish whether or not your pug is too fat or too skinny is the "look and feel" method. Weight ranges are not a good way as there can be too many variables in each individual pug to make that a good guide. We have all seen TINY pugs and very TALL pugs that have perfect body weights well outside any "standard".

With the "look and feel" method, look down on your pug from above while she is standing - does she have a waistline? Is that waistline EXTREMELY pronounced or just a gentle indentation from the ribcage? On a pug it should, without question, be the latter to varying degrees, but NOT extreme. Pugs are NOT greyhounds!

Now to the ribcage - can you FEEL the ribcage? You should be able to feel it, but NOT see it. If you can SEE her ribs, you have a problem. The backbone is another thing that is obvious in grossly underweight dogs, but that is usually only apparent (for a pug at least) in extreme cases of neglect or illness.

Lastly, growing puppies go through many stages before they reach maturity - she's probably just fine!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Check out the PugVillage Books - buy one from HERE and help rescue.

Rona and the Principessas Imogen and Pearl. Holding in our hearts forever LouLou and Puck who have been reunited at the Bridge.
    All my babies at the Bridge - LouLou, Puck, Piaff, Donato, Persia, Dragon, Smugs, (Pugs) and Madam and her son Woolfie (horses).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast