Pug in pup - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pug in pup

squashpoppy is offline Village Mayor

Just got back from the vets, her temp is 36.9 celsius. She gave her an internal exam and she is fully dilated with a pup at the top of the birth canal!

Called Laura and she can't get back until 10-30pm at the earliest, even then she lives 30miles away I don't know if Flo will be up to being moved.

I've never whelped puppies before, the vet has sent me home with a load of stuff but said I should cope as i'm a nurse. Not feeling too confident but she seems comfortable in her bed and I have gathered,

Scissors, dental floss, weighing scales, old flannels, a hot water bottle, lubricating gel, alcohol rub and lots of newspapers. I've put her on a piece of vetbed we have left over from when we had Pearl, I can't think of anything else that I have that could be useful.

The vet said if no pup by 4-30pm to take her back for an oxytocin shot.

I've never been so scared, hope she gets them out ok, I think I can manage the breaking of the sack and tying off the cord(s).

The vet said they may just be too early for them to survive but there's nothing they can do to stop it now.
    Heather,
    Mummy to 3 human boys, Albert, George and Tom
    and
    3 furbabies, (Gary, April and Karen)
    Forever missing sweet baby Pearl and Almond

Still no pup! Flo's gone to sleep, puppies still moving inside her lots so guess that's a good sign.
    Heather,
    and

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

OMG!

If I were you I would send a PM to Almandine and Charlotte (whatapug) with your phone number. If they catch this thread they might be able to speak to you on the phone with a bit of advice - both know what they are doing in the breeding department.

Let's hope there is a mix up on dates and the pups are OK.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Exclamation Puppies here

5 Puppies, emergency c-section for uterine inertia. 4 boys + 1 girl. Mum shivering but ok. No idea what i'm doing but presume they need to be warm and feed. Can't seem to get them to latch on but I will keep trying.
    Heather,
    and

Quote Originally Posted by squashpoppy View Post
    5 Puppies, emergency c-section for uterine inertia. 4 boys + 1 girl. Mum shivering but ok. No idea what i'm doing but presume they need to be warm and feed. Can't seem to get them to latch on but I will keep trying.
    Oh dear. I am so glad you got them to the vet, and many many good thoughts are going out to you and the pups. You are doing a good job.

whatapug is offline Village Admiral

Hi
    I assume you have a heat pad or uv lamp?
    mum and babies need heat.

keep trying to get them to feed,however she wont have milk yet only colostrum,
    how much do they weigh?
    I assume the owner knows what she is doing? traveling 30 miles to your house with an in whelp bitch could have been enough to bring on early labour. traveling back mum and babies 30 miles is also not ideal.

I would be surprised if at 10 days early they will all survive. How sure is she of the dates? i assume this isnt a mistake mating so she will know her due date.

sorry you are having to do this,braver than i am.I would never whelp someones else bitch

No, no heat lamp or heat pad just hot water bottles, have bought milk replacement for them just in case as I don't think they will be being moved tonight. The vet didn't think they were early, 3 were a little over 170g, 1 was 140 and a tiny 1 is 108g. The cords on the smaller 2 were twisted and the largest had passed meconium.

I never intended to whelp someone elses bitch, just babysit so bravery didn't come into it. She and the pups probably would have died without the section. I will just try to keep them alive and hope I can.

I don't know about the mating, I assume the father is a pug, they look like pugs anyway but are very small and dark. I think I will need to feed the tiny one by hand as it doesn't have the strength to latch on.

Thanks for the advice
    Heather,
    and

whatapug is offline Village Admiral

well that are a very good weight(apart from tiny one)
    I very much doubt they were 10 days early.

You do need some sort of heat rather than a bottle. even a slight draft can kill them.
    do you have a whelping box?

Kizzypug is offline Village Royalty

Oh my goodness, what a drama. I do hope that the sweet little girl and her puppies are going to be OK
    Nicky, mum to Uncle Cecil, Pip and Ty

We should all try to be as good a person as our Dogs think we are (anon)

I have her bed which is quite big, she can lay flat in it and still have room for the pups. I have her in my room with both radiators on full and a hot water bottle under the pups. I will stay up with them tonight to make sure they are not cold.

It's a massive responsbility, I fed my own 3 boys but these pups will NOT latch on, i'm kind of holding them to the teat and expressing colostrum into their mouths with limited success.

I did email you earlier but guess it didn't get through. Will send my husband out for a heater of some kind, don't know what. It's been the most expensive babysitting i've ever done!
    Heather,
    and

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast