Chugs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chugs!

Default Chugs!

I'm asking all of the parents of chugs how they act and such around other dogs! my husband and i have domi whos 3 and molly a terrier mix that is about 8 months old and we were thinking about getting a male chug i wanted know how they act around other dogs and if they are hyper and such!

Thanks for your time!

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

I have no idea what chugs are like temperament-wise.

I don't want to sound mean, but I hope you are going to rescue if you get a chug. I am not in favour of supporting breeders of chugs, jugs, puggles and other "designer" dogs.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

A Domi?? A Chug?? Why designer mixes? I'd recommend researching a reputable breeder of a purebred to get the temperament and size you desire ... or head down to the local shelter and take home the dog that chooses to rescue you.
    This "Designer Puppy" business is getting out of hand and doing not much besides contributing to the millions of canines lost to euthanasia in this country each year.
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

BeachyKeen is offline Village Pet Party Planner

Phoebe is--by all guesses--a "chug". She has a total pug body and ears but has a chi nose (or so that's what people tell me they see in her). She is a happy accident, not bred to be a designer dog.

I got her when she was 7, so her personality was well and truly formed. She likes other dogs, especially big male dogs so that she can flirt with them. She is not crazy about small female dogs but she'll put up with them. She is the alpha in all situations.

She loves walks and has a lot of energy on them, but once we're inside she plops down and is a lazy bones. She sticks to me like glue and has totally bonded with me; I am Her Person. When I got her she was 18.5 pounds, went up to 21 (!) and now I have her at 16.5 pounds.

Here are some pictures of my Phoebe:

Total puggy body

Chi nose?

All cute!

(You can see a little bitty puglike nose wrinkle in this shot)
    Patricia
    PV Moderator
    Mom to Phineas and the Fabulous Felines

And always remembering and missing Phoebe, my heart girl

"My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet..." ~ Edith Wharton

BeachyKeen is offline Village Pet Party Planner

Just to add, please don't get a "designer" mutt. I work at a shelter and we get a lot of pug mixes: pug/beagles, pug/chis, pug/pits (!).

Please check your local shelter or even go to petfinder and plug in "Pug" to find a local pug rescue group. They most likely have some mixes to choose from as well.
    Patricia
    PV Moderator
    Mom to Phineas and the Fabulous Felines

And always remembering and missing Phoebe, my heart girl

"My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet..." ~ Edith Wharton

The Chug Is From A No-kill Shelter. I Forgot To Mention That! I ACTUALLY FOUND HIM ON PETFINDER.COM
    Last edited by domismommy3; 12-04-2008 at 12:02 PM.

Not Afraid is offline Village Admiral

I've deal with many mix breed dogs and can tell you that there doesn't seem to be a "breed personality" that comes with mixed breeds. I have a Chi-pug mix that I am watching now and, while he's super sweet, he's super scared and not very friendly with strangers. Another Chi-pug mix I watch is barkey and hyper (and has been knows to bite).

With a mix, you can never tell if they have the best parts of the breeds they are mixed with - or the worst. It all depends on the dog.
    "If I were a pediatrician and a mother told me, "it's just too hard making healthy food everyday for my kid, I'm just going to feed Total cereal everyday, it's 100% nutritionally complete," we'd all feel sorry for her kid. I am a vet, and when people tell me "I've found a really good dry food, I think I'...ll feed it everyday for the rest of my pets life," why don't we feel equally sad?" Dr. Karen Becker

hypermike is offline Village VP

Bless you for going the rescue route.

Reggie's vet gave me some awesome advice about mixed breeds that made perfect sense. I had asked about puggles. She said that with a mix, you have the potential to get the best of both breeds or the worst of both breeds.

With the puggle, you have the potential to get one that has breathing AND allergy problems who howls. That sounds like the third circle of hell, if you ask me. Imagine the hell a chug could bring into your home. I'm not a fan of the chi. I think they're the rats of the canine universe.

Hypermike
    Owned by Reggie
    View Reggie's blog

Blanche is offline Village Gaia

Not much to add to what has been said, but we've had a few chugs and they were either sweet as pie or holy terrors. Most were pretty busy. and with a terrier cross--count on busy.
    If I'm going to have dog to dog aggression issues, it is often with chugs or jugs. I've seen some of it with the puggle, but what we see alot in puggles are bad bite records and manic energy.
    Read up on chihuahuas. They aren't the easiest dogs in the world and have their own health issues. Like poms, they have a tendency to become biters if badly handled as puppies and tend to remain biters. With a mix--it's a crap shoot as to what you get temperament wise.

I can only repeat what others above have said. There are a lot of chugs, bugs, and puggles at our dog park. It is a total toss up as to their personalities -- some are very sweet, some appear to have gotten the very worst traits of both breeds. No "breed" standard at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast