Those controversial brindles! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Those controversial brindles!

pugsnbugg is offline Village Witch

I don't care what color a pug is. They are all beautiful to me. My little Willow is considered "smutty", her father was a black pug and her mother a fawn. She is the alpha pug here and at least once a day has to show the boys who's boss by humping one of them. I then will say, Willow! Knock it off you smutty girl.
    Sally... Mom to Huron, Badger, Raven, Willow, Angel, Erie, Zeb, Loki, Precious & Nana to Gauge (the Pug in Beagle fur)

Always in My Heart:
    Huron, Badger
    Mr. Boots & Bugsy
    Kitties, Purrsia and Karma

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

Nougan is an exceptionally handsome man, now if we could have more pic, please?

Luvbean25 is offline Village B'Dazzlin' Show Girl

There is a difference between smutty and brindle. The smutty part is created from tiny black guard hairs. Most fawn pugs have them, some have more than others. Fawn pugs should also have a marking called a trace, which is a black line that goes from the base of the neck to the base of the tail. Some fawns have a wide trace that looks like a saddle and many times it fades with maturity. The "bleeding" of the trace can also give the appearance of smutty.

Brindle as said on many occasions is a pattern not a color. I am sorry but the pugs don't carry this trait. Recessive genes are present for about 17 generations. Now if anyone with a brindle can go back 17 generations on their pug and prove to me that they were all in fact pugs, I will give it to you.

Remember AKC is a "FOR PROFIT" business and they will register any color that pays them the $20. AKC has the right to ask for pictures and DNA, but what good is that if the entire line can't be looked at? The standard set forth by the PDCA clear depicts 2 colors, fawn and black. Of coarse both have their variations, as with any color.

One thing that bothers me about your post is not the discussion of brindles it is in fact you claim your BRINDLE pug has been cleared for breeding. I would like to know who did such clearences because it is NOT ethical to breed something that is not correct. According to the standard your pug has a major fault and should not be bred. Perhaps I read your statement incorrect, but I would be mortified as a keeper of this breed to think that someone is intentionally breeding something that could destroy this breed we all love so much. Just my 2 cents.

Sarina
    Mommy to: Sebastian
    Pugs: Chloe, Emma, Scarlett, & Milani

"The discipline of desire is the background of character".

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

ZoeZoesmom is offline Village Royalty

I think brindles are adorable! Dayna's Bear stole my heart a long time ago. You have a very handsome little boy!

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

~Maya Angelou

@}-;-Dawn, Momma to Diesel my Pug love and Sicily the tiny Chihuahua ...my loves
    Missing my big boy...^Tuxedo^, Mommy's Landseer and my heart ^Zoe ^my first Pug❤️
    Gizmo my purr-baby, ^Dega^ , my furry angel watching over me from The Rainbow Bridge

tocents is offline Village Bug Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by sixteenpaws View Post
    Yes, the "rare white pug"

Not to be confused with the "rare white faced pug". They are VERY special.
    Cathy, Dino Bambino the Lawless Terrier, Laura-Lovey the Pug Diva and Sparky Boo Boo, the Pug Mutt

And playing together at The Bridge
    Bubba Chunk, Gentleman and Scholar
    Lucy the Beagledor
    Liza, the sweet little bundle of good nature
    Big Roxie
    Barney the Wonderbug
    Whompin' Stompin' Walter-A Legend in His Own Mind
    Sweet Rascal Joe

Otto's momma is offline Village Admiral

Yes, I remember this discussion and I agree with Donnag "I really don't know anything about the AKC, but then again I never really cared to, it's not my thing. I love all pugs, black, fawn, silver, apricot or brindle ( did I forget any) for me it's not the lineage it's the love they give me."

I am not an expert on the breed or dogs in general, and as not to offend anyone, I wont comment any more on the issue. Except for that if anything is to be "bred out" of pugs, I would get rid of the excessive shedding before I got rid of brindle coloring
    Last edited by Otto's momma; 05-05-2009 at 10:50 PM. Reason: for stuff that might be offensive....

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I, too, think all pugs are cute... but totally agree with Sarina!!!

A brindle pug should not be bred! That's my opinion!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

tocents is offline Village Bug Shutterbug

I think the thing to remember is that good breeders are breeding to a certain standard-the perfect pug if you will. And from what I understand, this is a very specific standard, very exacting in colors, dimensions, etc. etc. etc. and this standard does not change nor waver. So when folks say that this that or the other should not be bred, it's NOT because of a dislike but rather because they are just not carrying the traits needed to achieve the pug standard. And it's NOT just brindles. There are many many pugs that should not be bred as they don't come close to standard. I think my Laura is perfect but I'd imagine that her easty/westy feet and little bowled front legs are light years away from standard and as such, she would not be a good candidate for breeding. (And I would never try-I leave that sort of thing to folks that know what they are doing . All of my dogs are spayed/neutered.)

Actually, I have a houseful of pugs that probably won't come near standard-all rescues either by rescue or individuals. And while I would NEVER seek out someone that was deliberately breeding something away from the standard, if one of the little brindles showed up in rescue, I'd be sorely tempted because they are cute.

And did I even make sense at all? I'm tired.
    Last edited by tocents; 05-05-2009 at 11:32 PM.
    Cathy, Dino Bambino the Lawless Terrier, Laura-Lovey the Pug Diva and Sparky Boo Boo, the Pug Mutt

And playing together at The Bridge
    Bubba Chunk, Gentleman and Scholar
    Lucy the Beagledor
    Liza, the sweet little bundle of good nature
    Big Roxie
    Barney the Wonderbug
    Whompin' Stompin' Walter-A Legend in His Own Mind
    Sweet Rascal Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Luvbean25 View Post
    Recessive genes are present for about 17 generations.
    Can you show me where this comes from? I have never heard of this in any of my research regarding genes.

Not Afraid is offline Village Admiral

I think a brindle pug loos adorable and, if one dropped out of the sky into my lap, I'd probably take him in...but I would never go buy a brindle pug. I see these dogs in the same way I view designer dogs - it's just another thing to rescue. There are puggles galore in rescue at the moment - Chugs too. It's not necessary for the world to have more puppies that don't improve the breed.
    "If I were a pediatrician and a mother told me, "it's just too hard making healthy food everyday for my kid, I'm just going to feed Total cereal everyday, it's 100% nutritionally complete," we'd all feel sorry for her kid. I am a vet, and when people tell me "I've found a really good dry food, I think I'...ll feed it everyday for the rest of my pets life," why don't we feel equally sad?" Dr. Karen Becker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast