Those controversial brindles!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Those controversial brindles!

Talking Those controversial brindles!

I was just reading a really long thread on brindles posted last year...for some reason it was locked for replies... Is it such a volotile topic that it had to be shut down or has it just been too long ago?

Anyways, the question was if AKC recognizes brindles. Well YA ALL KNOW I have a brindle and I looooove him to death, so I don't really care if he has a mix in his past or not... But I wanted to address the original question... The AKC does not openly recognize brindles (I was just on the phone with someone from akc headquarters last week talking about it) it is just too controversial. The cannot be shown. However, they will register a brindle pug after a through investigation into it's lineage, photographs of every angle of their body, sometimes a phone call and even blood tests if required. If there is ANYTHING shady they will not register. Nougan has his AKC registration, and he was also cleared to breed if we ever wanted to. (they don't have to add that if they don't feel he meets the breed standard, they still get their money either way)

Just wanted to clear up any misconceptions. I don't want to change anyone's minds regarding the brindle issue, as there is genetic evidence that black and fawn pugs do not carry the brindle gene. BUT on the other side, what about the historical paintings of brindle pugs on royal laps? Or the historical accounts of "strange pugs with striking striped markings"... Is it possible that there are different strains of "true" pugs, just as there are different genetic variations of the exact same breed of birds? Or is every brindle a mutt? Who really cares, I love them anyways!!!!! I will leave the worrying to the show dog owners (xoxo)

Oh I forgot a funny factoid, LOL, I have a good friend who is deathly allergic to pugs... I am NOT kidding just pugs. He has dogs, he SLEEPS with them! So when he told me I totally did not believe him, I was like "YA right!!" He said "watch" and let nougan (my little controversy doggie) ad almost immediately broke out in hives.
    Has ANYONE heard of this anomaly?? weird, right?

CharlieBoo is offline Village Mayor

I LOVE any pug.....brindle or otherwise!
    CharlieBoo

Donnag is offline Village Royalty

I really don't know anything about the AKC, but then again I never really cared to, it's not my thing. I love all pugs, black, fawn, silver, apricot or brindle ( did I forget any) for me it's not the lineage it's the love they give me.

That is weird about your friend, I know people who are allergic to dogs, but not specifically pugs......I would not have believed him either.
    Donna, Vivian and Stewie..... Rupert forever in my heart

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

emanderniepug is offline Village Governor

I don't know anything about brindles, except that Nougan is adorable! :)

My friend grew up with dogs her whole life. A few weeks ago she dog sat for my friend who has a puggle. She slept with him and her hands swelled up. She'd never had that problem before, but she also hadn't slept with dogs in a long time.
    Emily and Ernie "Banks" Pug

Let's Go Cubbies
    (Woof, Woof, Woofwoofwoof)

your pug in your avatar is so incredibly very cute

Imon is offline Village Turtle Lady

I love brindle coloration - when I was little, we had a friend with the sweetest brindle Great Dane - that dog was three times my size, but so very gentle with me. I adored him (his name was Major). If I ever get a Frenchie, it is going to be a brindle. Your little guy is adorable!
    Otto's mom (also known as Linda)

I am currently on a learning phase and being very open and subjective on this very issue..... when I get two seconds to research more I'll contribute to this thread on my thoughts.

Well often when you get that dark fawn coloring you get a brindling color. My Sammy was a brindling coloring. They call them smutty. I hate that word. I call them dark fawn. I am not one to argue one way or the other but I am one inclined not to believe there is a brindle pug unless they are mixed with a boston or a frenchie. Just my opinion. One can have a genetic test to find out with a simple swab in their mouth. I got Rudy in Dec. He is fawn except for this "smudge" on his left haunch. Rebecca, his foster mom, thought it was grease and try as she might to scrub it off it didn't come off. The vet said it is brindling from the pug. It just drives me nuts, LOL when they say that. I am convinced there is probably some Boston him him. I told the vet that there is NO such thing as a brindle pug, LOL!! I am so up on such genetic things...NOT!!! Too funny. Anyway, one day, when I have the money, I am going to have him tested to find out. But for now he is my grease smudged pug. And that is probably why they had to finally lock the thread because people are so passionate about what they believe in. I accept what you believe, too.

Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Donnag View Post
    I love all pugs, black, fawn, silver, apricot or brindle ( did I forget any)
    Yes, the "rare white pug"
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

Ruebeau is offline Village Admiral

I think your baby is adorable!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast