do pugs smell?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: do pugs smell?

Default do pugs smell?

I'm trying to do as much research on this breed as I can and have read a lot of care information but I have also read various things that I am unsure of and need cleared up

I have a few questions needing answering so I wondered if you guys could help me out?

I know dogs have a doggy smell but I have read that Pugs have a distinctive smell that could be unpleasant?

I know some can have problems with anal glands, is this very common and can this be somewhat helped with by using premium dog foods?

What is considered to be the best or the most authoritive book on pug care?

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

Welcome to the Village.

In my opinions pugs don't smell, at least mine don't. All dogs can have a doggy smell when their coats are wet but I find even that smell is less on a pug than say a Labrador.

Their anal glands can leak and that gives off a fishy smell. If they are full and your pug isn't emptying them by himself during a bowel movement, the vet or groomer can empty them for him. My pugs don't have this problem.

Books...there's so many. I have 'The Book of The Pug' by Joan McDonald Brearley and 'A new owners guide to Pugs' by Richard C. Beauchamp and Sonja Neu.
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

mushusmom is offline Village Admiral

The only way a pug would smell any different than any other breed is if the owner dosn't keep their nose wrinkle and ears clean. Whomever said this met pugs who were not well cared for. IMHO.
    Meredith, Libby & Mushu

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Sunshyne is offline Village VP

Good question! I am very sensitive to smells, and before I had a dog I knew immedialely when I walked into a home with a dog or was in a car where a dog had been. My best friend swears her lab doesn't smell "doggy" but trust me, she does, and so does her car and home (she is a clean freak, but still..)

I haven't noticed that "doggy" odor from Chloe. Her paws DO stink on occassion. I heard they sweat through their paws (someone correct me if I'm wrong here), so that's probably why. But, no, I haven't noticed an unusual odor and I do believe I would if she had it.

I think what you should be more worried about is the shedding, it is NON STOP and I can never wear black.

Edit to add: Chloe has been eating premium foods since she was a puppy and I have never had her anal glands expressed. Don't know if that's the reason, but I think it may just be on a case by case basis.
    Last edited by Sunshyne; 07-30-2009 at 05:20 PM.
    Me on Facebook, my Love/Hate website:
    http://www.facebook.com/editaccount....62&ref=profile

LisaSarao is offline Village Puppy

My Pug smells better than many of my ER patients. LOL!

Seriously, she has less of a "doggy" odor than any previous dog I've had (she's our first Pug). If she needs it, we bathe her. Voila, great-smelling dog. :)

HomerNMarge is offline Village Royalty

I've never noticed my pugs smell... The only time they smell is when they are wet. And then they have the wet dog smell.. hehe... Homer has issues sometimes with his anal glands.. and it smells fishy but doesn't usually last too long.

Their feet/paws smell like fritos a lot of the time.
    Cindy
    owned by:

"Enjoy the flavor of life, Take big bites!"

Julia&Toby is offline Village Governor

Toby has never had anal gland issues. I keep his nose fold and face wrinkles, ears, etc. clean so they do not smell either.

his feet do smell like fritos, but it is not unpleasant. I like it.
    My two fat pugs! Toby rescued April 25, 2008 & Betz rescued November 15, 2009.

Ruebeau is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by LisaSarao View Post
    Seriously, she has less of a "doggy" odor than any previous dog I've had (she's our first Pug). If she needs it, we bathe her. Voila, great-smelling dog. :)
    I totally agree with this. Baxter doesn't have any smell at all.

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

[quote=fudge;1300024]with the anal glands is that something I am going to need to have someone see to often? I'm just confused that I havent heard of other breeds likely to have this problem?[quote]

It's a problem mainly in toy breeds, some suffer more than other like Cavaliers, my Vet said he's never come across one that doesn't have the anal gland problem....probably a bit of a wild generalisation by I get his drift!
    Last edited by Rosiepug; 07-30-2009 at 06:22 PM.
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

mushusmom is offline Village Admiral

Mushu doesn't have anal gland issues. I think Libby's leaked once because it smelled just like described but she doesn't seem to have a chronic problem. If you have them groomed regularly the groomer will check it. Oh, and their feet do smell like Fritos but only if you put your nose on them and sniff.
    Meredith, Libby & Mushu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast