Awwww Man! Pregnancy?>> kidding me right? - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Awwww Man! Pregnancy?>> kidding me right?

whatapug is offline Village Admiral

Hello

I think your vet should have offered a "morning after injection" this can be given upto a few days after the mating so it could still be given now,call him and ask him...

If i am reading this right,your bitch is UNDER a year old and the male is also only 10 months or so(and brindle?)

I also think keeping an intact male and female in the same house with children around(who could leave doors open etc) is asking for trouble.

Also,a bitch having 3 seasons under 12 months seems very excessive,It would concern me that all was not well hormone wise..

This is in no way getting at you but only to offer advise,You should phone you vet today for the injection.

Fla. Pugs is offline Village Royalty

I can't even begin to imagine what all this must cost.
    If a c-section is needed, having something go wrong.
    My Vet bills are high enough. Glad all mine are neutered.
    Honestly, I admire you all who have the desire to breed. Not me!

Good luck hope all goes well.
    Linda~ Bugsy Pug, Millie and Captain Jack our Schnauzers.

Miyaghi~my pug angel, July 27, 2005
    Bubba our sweet pug boy, May 18, 2008
    Luke, May 8, 2012

Unfortunately, accidents do happen. It is inherent to dealing with nature, whether it is the dogs stealing the steak off of the BBQ or a Moluccan injurin his mate because he is too hormonal. There is no excuse for blatent irresponsibility, a responsible person does all they can to avoid incidents of any kind... But to say that there are no accidents is a little harsh I think.
    The problem with forums is that there is no way to really tell the tone in which something was said, nor is there a reliable way to tell if you are talking to a seasoned expert or a complete airhead. I don't think I quite fall into either category. I'm not an expert with dogs. I'm an Aviculturist. Over 15 years in the breeding and recovery effort for endangered species. I've sucessfully raised 100s of critically endangered parrots and cockatoos, some of which are completely extinct in the wild. I also have 3 human children of my own. I suppose you could compare breeding large hookbills to about as expensive and difficult as it comes. I've spent many nights with a tiny naked chick, that only comes every 2 years if you're lucky, is worth $5000 and requires a hospital intensive care brooder and feedings round clock every 2 hours for 2 weeks because the parents will kill it. I've watched them live and I've lost some. I've had birds escape and chased then around the neighborhood, have large scars from catching one by hand lest I lose a good pair.. If that doesn't count as an accident then I may as well throw in the towel now. It is a labor of love and I have probably thrown $100,000 away on it through the years but I don regret it. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not perfect, but I am no stranger to this world of taking nature and bringing it home. I intend to never stop learning, I know that dogs are different in every way... But as long as I can get straightforward answers from experienced breeders and vets, read all the books I can and make sure I am not just guessing at anything or being irresponsible.. I believe I can handle it.
    There is a dark underbelly in the breeding world that has scarred us and made everyone suspicious of everyone. I think that the people on this forum are kind and openminded enough to hopefully make a difference.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by shaynapug View Post
    I'm sorry that your mentor didn't tell you that sometimes they are more fertile when they stop bleeding......To be safe...they should be separated for at least 28 days!

Yes, it is true that with a small litter they often grow bigger and a c section is needed. It is sometimes needed even with a big litter...and sometimes when a mother is young.
    I must have been unclear. I kept them separated for 4 weeks after she started bleeding. This happened in the 5th week. The vet agreed that rarely a dog will go back into a heat cycle. Her hormones are not regular yet and no reason to worry. The morning after injection could mess with her worse so we did not do it. It will chemically alter her still-regulating hormones. Just weighed pros & cons, and since every option has a price decided that natures way is best and if I am out $1500 for a cesarean, at least Cricket will be healthy. It was truly an unforseen fluke.

CharlieBoo is offline Village Mayor

We still love you........hang in there!
    CharlieBoo

FourteenLegs is offline Village Diva

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBoo View Post
    We still love you........hang in there!
    Unlike CharlieBoo I don't know you well enough to love you, but may I respectfully ask what was your intention from breeding your dogs? I understand you didn't want it to happen NOW, but LATER, but what was the ultimate aim?

You seem like a very intelligent person with vast experience in breeding birds. I have bred a number of horses over many years and owned Pugs for over 30 years, 3 of whom attained their championship titles. Even with two females and one male, all intact and of breeding age and most importantly proven to be top examples of the breed, breeding was something I considered best left to the experts. There were no accidental matings and they were all neutered and spayed as soon as they were retired. They all lived long lives as pampered pets.

It is such a science when you are breeding to improve and strengthen a line (as you undoubtedly know from your bird breeding), what is the purpose of introducing a colour that is unacceptable into the breed? There has been a world-wide (and successful) movement to have brindle totally unrecognised by the governing canine bodies. Brindle is NOT about to appear on the breed standard as an acceptable colour.

Look, I don't want to batter and bruise you, this is a subject people feel passionate about and I don't think you are some nitwit doing it for all the wrong reasons - maybe you can educate ME better as to some very altruistic reasons for doing this and I thank you in advance. You obviously adore your dogs and take very good care of them. And your brindle dog is VERY cute. It's just your ultimate intentions that have me completely flummoxed. Thanks for listening!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Check out the PugVillage Books - buy one from HERE and help rescue.

Rona and the Principessas Imogen and Pearl. Holding in our hearts forever LouLou and Puck who have been reunited at the Bridge.
    All my babies at the Bridge - LouLou, Puck, Piaff, Donato, Persia, Dragon, Smugs, (Pugs) and Madam and her son Woolfie (horses).

Donnag is offline Village Royalty

I was not going to say anything but feel the need to. Like Rona said you seem like a very intelligent person and not someone who wants to breed to make a few bucks but I to wondered why?
    I do transport work for Green Mountain Pug rescue and I have driven so many pug to foster homes that were either born in puppy mills or given up by their owners. It seems a shame to breed when there are a lot of expert breeders out there already and there are so many pugs and dogs in general that need homes. I just hate to see them put on the back burner and even more dogs brought into this world.
    There is another very large transport in the works coming up soon, they will all need homes. My first pug come from a breeder as I did not know anything about rescue at the time, my second pug came from a rescue and any future pugs will also come from a rescue.
    I am not getting on your case just wondering why you want to breed her.
    Donna, Vivian and Stewie..... Rupert forever in my heart

Tuck and Ag's Mom is offline Village Royalty

I too wasn't going to say anything but I've read through all the posts and yours and just wanted to bring up some points for you to understand why most of us are concerned and not supportive on your attempt to breed.

PDE - Have you done your research on this horrible disease, do you have enough information to go back through the line and see if there is any occurrences in the line. Granted they don't know for sure that it only runs in lines but it does seem to point that way. I can personally tell you that I would never want to witness another pug go through this.

Rescues and shelters - Have you looked at all the shelters and rescues groups and seen just how many Pugs are in them, which just goes to show they can't be considered to be rare or endangered. What is your plan if one of your "buyers" wants to give up their pug, because he/she is to much work, too stubborn to be potty trained, new kid, etc..?

Spay/Neuter guarantees - Do you plan on selling your Pugs with this type of guarantee? Or are you going to let the new owners breed at will?

Health Issues Guarantee - Are you going to be willing to refund the "buyers" money if a serious health problem occurs?

I'm not a breeder and don't know really anything about it because it's not something I've ever wanted to do but having lost a pug to PDE and having worked with rescues and in shelters, I really hope you have done the research and truly understand what you are taking on. We all think our Pugs are the best and would make the best breeders but reality is there are very few people that are truly equipped to breed and understand that the only intent of breeding should be to better the line.
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy
    Forever in my heart Aggie, Tucker and Frank

CharlieBoo is offline Village Mayor

Unlike CharlieBoo I don't know you well enough to love you

I said this to take the heat from the negative comments when this poster was just worried and asking for help. Sometimes it is just not worth it to say anything on this board.
    CharlieBoo

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

As an aside, I think the brindle color is charming, and I wish it were allowed. But since it isn't neutering is probably not such a bad idea, since he can't be shown and fun classes like obedience rally, agility and fly ball don't care if he has 'em or not.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast