How to keep Frankie off the table
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to keep Frankie off the table

Frankie's mom is offline Village Puppy

Default How to keep Frankie off the table

I have to admit, Frank is coming along very well in his training. He hasn't peed or pooped in the house in a couple of weeks and he's getting better holding it at night and when we're gone (I will admit that he peed on my bed for the first time when my kids locked him in my room though--but not his fault!).

My problem is meal time. He's getting better at it, if I'm at the table with the kids he won't go on the table and snatch food. He's also getting better at not snatching the kids snacks. BUT-- the second I turn my back of the kids get up from the table, he's on the table eating their food! I've been putting him outside for meal time, but there are always times when I let him in before I pick up the plates and he's on the table in seconds! Even if I pick up the plates first, he's on the table licking up crumbs!

We have told him no, scooted him down, given him time out for doing it. He knows he's not supposed to do it, but still is a pig! (we should call them pigs not pugs!!).

I feed him about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of food twice a day. He's not chunky or fat at all (5 months old) but apparently starving! Can I get tips and ideas to keep my pug off the table?

Thanks!
    Lisa

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

I am asuming that he gets up on the table by jumping up on a chair first. Try keeping the chairs that no one is sitting in pulled out from the table or pushed in all the way, so that he is not able to jump from the chair to the table. Also you need to try and catch him in the act and use a squirt bottle or a penny can to startle him and tell him no. Hope this helps.

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

My 7 month old pup tried that too!

She's crated while we eat. Hopefully in a few months she'll have forgotten that behavor and be over it, if not she'll remain crated at meal times.
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

mushusmom is offline Village Admiral

Never underestimate the powers of the squirt bottle. It worked like a charm for Mushu and my sister's basset puppy. You have to watch them to catch them at it but after a fiew faces full of water they usually learn their lesson. Whenever I sprayed Mushu I said "What!?" Now, whenever he just gets too tempted, I just have to say that word in a firm voice and he runs for the hills.
    Meredith, Libby & Mushu

Otto's momma is offline Village Admiral

Crating Otto when we got him for the first couple months while we ate worked great. Now he just sleeps under the table or plays with his toys. He never gets food from our plates...not even left overs, I always put it in his bowl. This way he knows our plates are ours.... so far its worked pretty good.

I like the idea of the word association with the squirt bottle. I'll have to pick one up.

I also like the idea of putting anything he does get in his dish. I never let him eat off a plate, but I will give him little bits of crackers sometimes on the floor. Switching to the dish sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

DeeAnn is offline None

I recomend the squit bottle...after time when you bring it out he will stop and think twice about getting into trouble...mine know if I bring it out what it does and the trouble stops...

SallyAndTilly is offline Village Model's Mom & Photo Nut

Tilly taught us to always, always push our chairs in so she can't have access to the table.

I push them in but they don't go in all the way for the angle of the table. I could push them away but it then becomes a problem with the kids climbing the walls, reaching my plants, etc. Kids come first, so the chairs are going to have to stay at the table. I hope the squirt bottle works!

Fla. Pugs is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by SallyAndTilly View Post
    Tilly taught us to always, always push our chairs in so she can't have access to the table.
    Tell your children to please push their chairs in. I'm sure if they are older and attend school one of the first things they learn is to push their chairs in. And if they don't tell them why they need to begin now.
    Linda~ Bugsy Pug, Millie and Captain Jack our Schnauzers.

Miyaghi~my pug angel, July 27, 2005
    Bubba our sweet pug boy, May 18, 2008
    Luke, May 8, 2012

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast